My Motoped

Looks like Motoped is having supplier issues with the rear shock. They have substituted the DNM Burner-RCP2 (9.45″L) for the Marzocchi Roco (9.5”L). I would of prefered the Marzocchi since it's a brand I recognize. Hopefully the substituted shock performs as good or better. It's a brand I don't know much about.

apparently Marzocchi is no longer making the roco rear shocks..
DNM rear suspension is what comes on stealth bikes..
its a heavy duty pit bike style shock.. should be good..

Some updates, still waiting on my rear shock from Motoped. This is the last item to be delivered by them. This is taking longer than expected. Hopefully, there isn't any production issues like they had with the Marzocchi shocks. I've picked up a rear 19" MC rim on ebay, fuel tank, air filter, fuel filter, and kill switch.

Here are some build photos, the last two are images of the big block motor for those interested in building an electric version. The big block looks at home on this frame.

Attachments

• Side view build.jpg
    Side view build.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1,611
  • Side view fairing.jpg
    Side view fairing.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,611
  • left view build.jpg
    left view build.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,612
  • muffler view.jpg
    muffler view.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,612
  • big block.jpg
    big block.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,612
  • big block 2.jpg
    big block 2.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,611
your build is coming together nice!
im still waiting on my exchange DNM rear shock as well..
motoped seems to be temporarily out of stock on suspension in the store..
may be worth using a different rear shock and just selling the DNM if its going to take forever..
(personally im waiting for the DNM but hate to see your build held up.. )
will post when my rear shock is received..

kfong said:
Some updates, still waiting on my rear shock from Motoped. This is the last item to be delivered by them. This is taking longer than expected. Hopefully, there isn't any production issues like they had with the Marzocchi shocks. I've picked up a rear 19" MC rim on ebay, fuel tank, air filter, fuel filter, and kill switch.

Here are some build photos, the last two are images of the big block motor for those interested in building an electric version. The big block looks at home on this frame.

Bummer, they didn't mention that problem when they told me they were replacing it. Currently using an old fox vanilla shock, way too short but allows me to continue building. I can add the shock when it arrives, just wanted to make sure they send it. They seem slow to respond this time around.

It's wheel building time, the 19" 1.85" eBay $35 rim. You don't get much of a color choice. Mine ended up orange.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280715253394?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Need to figure out the spoke lengths, someone must have already done one with these cheap rims, that they kept data on.

It's taking so long to give you a chance to forget about making it a stinkbike, so you only talked about becoming a traitor instead of actually doing it. :twisted:

kfong said:
Ahh you should see the large van I plan to order, diesel as well :mrgreen:

LOL! I hope that's just so you can catch light it on fire and make a big story about how ICE driven cars catch on fire much more often than electric vehicles. :mrgreen:

I still have not received my rear shock, and now see on their own forum customer complaints and no follow up answers from the staff. Ii looks like Motoped is experiencing production problems. They have not responded to my last 3 emails, with the most recent one being a week ago. They were very quick to respond in the past. The rear shock is the last item they owe me. I hope they resolve their problems and are not defaulting on customer purchases. They may have under priced their products and are running into finance issues, or hopefully too busy building. Keeping your customer informed is much better than having them speculating.

Anyone else not receiving items order?

im still waiting on my exchange DNM rear suspension as well..
they seem to be temporarily out of stock on suspension in the motoped store..
so likely many motoped customers are also affected..
i may just get a different rear suspension and move on..
will post if/when i get the rear suspension..:(

edit: cool motoped build with suicide shifter.. :
10580126_606084306178083_1544713142997647955_n.jpg

kfong said:
I still have not received my rear shock, and now see on their own forum customer complaints and no follow up answers from the staff. Ii looks like Motoped is experiencing production problems. They have not responded to my last 3 emails, with the most recent one being a week ago. They were very quick to respond in the past. The rear shock is the last item they owe me. I hope they resolve their problems and are not defaulting on customer purchases. They may have under priced their products and are running into finance issues, or hopefully too busy building. Keeping your customer informed is much better than having them speculating.

Anyone else not receiving items order?

As someone mentioned previously, this bike would be awesome with a small displacement CR85 water cooled motor, insane power to weight ratio. Surprised someone hasn't done it already. I plane to do it if I pick up a frame. But for now, I ride the bikes I make..www.dirtforcemotorcycles.com.

If anyone is planing on running one of those 155z motors I've gone that route
My original thought was to grind off the 155cc #s and stamp 49cc on to it so as to keep it California legal no licence needed etc, etc but upon receiving the motor there was no way in hell if would pass for that as the thing looked huge
Aside of this was the clutch and shifting situation as they need to stay semi-auto for Ca. purposes also
The bottom line was that i planed the 49cc thing and then ride on the street till i got harassed by the cops
I would have at least given that a shot for awhile if not for the fact that the pedals would not operate either and the motor was to wide / that is to say the pedal arm on the right side would hit the kick starter shaft............But on that note, the kick starter shaft sticks out about 1 3/4 inches and if one were to pull the motor apart and remove that shaft and have 1 inch removed from its end and then have it re=splined on the end to match the kick starter arm the pedal arm would have then cleared............In any even i didn't want to go through all that and ended up selling the motor to some kid on planetminis at a good sized loss
Running an atc70cc with an 88cc top end kit for a motor right now (semi-auto ) and have a lifan 125cc that works has gone through making it a 141cc / The works 141 semi-auto engine from Tboltusa. Lifan 125cc - $324.00 The works 141 build
$734.00

Whoohoo! Been informed they have my shocks finally and will be shipping them off to me. I need to get back on this project!

my rear shock is on its way as well!
now maybe i can finally start my motoped build:)
looking forward to your progress..

kfong said:
Whoohoo! Been informed they have my shocks finally and will be shipping them off to me. I need to get back on this project!

Some updates, I've recieved the shock a few weeks ago, but been busy. Now with the worsening weather I'm back on this project, determined to get it running before winter.

Things recieved:
Stem
Engine breather tube
Engine bash guard
Bead rim lock
Rear rim
Air filter
Brakes and rotors
Kill switch
Fuel filter
420 chain and half link
Fuel tank
Seat and fairings
Pedals
Throttle

Things on order:
DH handle bar
Spokes
SR241s rear tire
Tube and rim strip
Various metric bolts
Cranks
Curved kick starter
Hand guards

Things to machine:
Delrin spacers (for swing arm)
Plastic spacer between carb and intake (current design has a poor seal)
Head tube spacers (could buy these, but need 3" length)
Mounting bracket for seat (current seat does not mate properly)
Spacer for drive sproket (poor alignment)

Hi,

http://m.green.autoblog.com/2014/11...oint/?post=2&icid=autobloggreen_river_article
LiquidPiston has unveiled a prototype of the power dense X Mini gasoline engine. The 70cc rotary engine is quite small and simple; with just two moving parts, it fits in a box as small as 6.6 inches by 6.2 inches by 5.4 inches. In testing, the X Mini produces 3.5 horsepower at 10,000 rpm, but LiquidPiston expects the final product to weigh just three pounds and produce more than five horsepower at up to 15,000 rpm. The X Mini could be used to power lawn equipment, UAVs, mopeds, EV range extenders and the like, as well as new applications not yet discovered. LiquidPiston also says its low NVH will help with comfort and product life. Read more in the press release below.

Nice little engine, I wonder how it sounds and how fuel efficient. My Motoped is put away for the year, it was mostly done. Just too cold to ride it. I didn't want to start the engine and then winterize it. I need to purchase a helmet and hand guards before spring. Even too cold in the garage to start on the electric conversion.

Whoohoo! Finally got the motoped running. It started up on the second kick. Only had to adjust the idle screw to keep it running. Surprisingly trouble free, even the wiring was correct. Rode it around the block, first gear is way too low. Actually all the gears seem to be on the low side. Going to try a bigger sproket to see if that helps.

Converting this to electric using the big block CNG should be an interesting comparison, since I won't have the transmission to deal with or the noise. Two things I find unpleasant with the gas version. Unfortunately this will be a winter project. I need to make a motor dolly to swap setups, I plan leave the gas tank and muffler on, while removing the engine and pipe. I need to change out the connectors so they are quick release. I plan to make a motor mount for the big block that will use the same two engine mounts. It will also hold the batteries and controller. For the batteries they will be the 20ahr A123.

This will make swapping out power plants relatively simple. For the throttle, I plan to use the existing gas throttle and just make my own adapter with a hall sense to read the movement. It will be interesting to see if there will be any weight savings as well. As far as motor power comparisons. I don't have any specs on the big block CNG or how much wattage it can handle. If anyone has this info, please post the link.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,866
Hows the motoped going?
I got interested in doing on a build based on their frame kit. I've had a BHT motor sitting for a while, waiting on a nice frame like the LMX. Pricing between the kits seems pretty comparable. A bit easier to get the motoped frame as its U.S. based. How easy do you think it would be to design a motor mount for the motoped? Also until I can get the motor mount made - would it be possible to use a hubmotor for a while? Don't need to use pedals for that.
Thanks

i have a couple motoped rollers put together and ready to motorize..
thinking about doing a hub motor build with one over the winter..
maybe a mid drive build after that..
but the motoped chassis is pretty heavy (~75lbs roller no motor)..
so "fuel" consumption would likely be higher compared to a lighter ebike specific frame..
pedals should work fine with either hub or mid drive..
i want / need to keep the pedals for access, etc..

dirkdiggler said:
Hows the motoped going?
I got interested in doing on a build based on their frame kit. I've had a BHT motor sitting for a while, waiting on a nice frame like the LMX. Pricing between the kits seems pretty comparable. A bit easier to get the motoped frame as its U.S. based. How easy do you think it would be to design a motor mount for the motoped? Also until I can get the motor mount made - would it be possible to use a hubmotor for a while? Don't need to use pedals for that.
Thanks

Sorry, haven't been on the sphere for a while. Been busy working on building an RV. The motoped is completed, I have not ridden it much since I would need to transport it to trails that allow for gas, mostly up north. The RV and motoped will provide a lot of fun next summer though. Motor is running fine, this winter I will try to find time to do the electric conversion so i can ride it around locally.

Here is a video of its first startup during the summer.
http://youtu.be/HOfaQZSXIrc

Yes well i've been running my motoped into the ground almost daily for like two years now and I'll tell you two things about them that suck
#1 The brake pads were designed for bicycles so these things eat brake pads for lunch
#2 They wear out back tires every 500 miles or less

Wanting to purchase a 19 inch motorcycle rim and lace it up to my hub and i understand that someone here has been doing something similar, if such person happens along this thread please post / offer some suggestions on what to buy to do this
Thank you for your consideration

Mike5,

lots of ppl on here are running moto rims and tires..
this thread has your answers and is more active so better chance of response..
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55458

but ill cut to the points you need..
motoped rear hub has 3.0mm spoke holes.. so if you do a slight drill to 3.2mm spoke holes then you can run 10gauge spokes and nipples which will be much easier to match to moto rims..
i recommend holmes or prowheel 1.4 or 1.6 width rims.. (wider rims may have too large spoke holes)
forum member Motobikewheels has also done lots of motoped wheel builds if you just want it handled, reasonable prices..

https://www.facebook.com/Motobikewheels-1678115219090056/

there is also a diy and turnkey motoped wheel sets available from wildpowersports :
http://wildpowersports.com/motoped/motoped-mc-wheel-tire-kit.html
http://wildpowersports.com/motoped/motoped-mc-wheel-tire-kit-1746.html

mike5ive said:
Yes well i've been running my motoped into the ground almost daily for like two years now and I'll tell you two things about them that suck
#1 The brake pads were designed for bicycles so these things eat brake pads for lunch
#2 They wear out back tires every 500 miles or less

Wanting to purchase a 19 inch motorcycle rim and lace it up to my hub and i understand that someone here has been doing something similar, if such person happens along this thread please post / offer some suggestions on what to buy to do this
Thank you for your consideration

Back