Installed Windows 10 from Windows 7 in an old 4th gen i5 oem pc

markz

100 TW
W7 is officially gonzo's for support in 2020 so I decided to install W10 but not activate it, as I don't like to spend money. Gotta save my money for more important things, like ebike components :D

First problem right off the hop, have to use a pw/pin everytime it reboots or sleeps. What a pain in the ass! MS forums pawn it off as security, but really how many ppl are doing that.... for security. I got around the problem, interwebbed it went into registry changed the 1 to a zero in one of the registers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-desktop-winpc/how-to-boot-directly-into-desktop-on-windows-10/9bb80be0-2209-459a-938d-2307dcf183c3
Didn't seem to work, so did typed netplwiz thang, and the trick was to click and unclick the box a few times to apply and press OK.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3539-sign-user-account-automatically-windows-10-startup.html

In keeping with the spirit of afresh 2020 I spent money on a 500GB SSD, Samsung 860 EVO.
Fresh install of W10 on a fresh ssd hd.

Installed the usual's
- Mozilla Firefox browser
- Open Office
- IRFANVIEW to edit pics
- Steam
- Shortcut of Computer drives to desktop
- Only windows games I see for W10 is a set of solitaire like games, I liked the old W7 "mine" guessing game, chess, checkers. I do have a better Steam chess game, and I should buy a bunch of new games, usually very cheap games on steam, I like indie games. I've never really been a fan of any high graphics, AAA games probably because they cost too much money, whereas the cheap indie games that I have put tons of hours into are $0.50 to $2 or $3.

Why not go ahead and activate win10? I think I paid $1.50 for the last activation key I bought on ebay. I got the key 5 minutes after purchasing it and never have had any problems with other keys I've boughten.

Have you tried the 'Brave' browser? It uses the Chrome engine but offers better privacy and ad blocking. Get paid for surfing the web :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol: .

whenever I do a fresh install I use 'ninite' to download the basics. Very handy.

I really have not seen any downside to using W10 and not activating it. Apart from Microsoft spying on me, but I did my best to close that up.

Toms Hardware post
"There are mostly cosmetic differences between activated and unactivated win 10... some of them are mentioned in this post under cosmetic limitations: http://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

Apart from that, it works as if its activated, you get windows updates, etc.

win 10 will put a watermark on desktop after 30 days but until MS change their minds, you can run unactivated for as long as you like.

Not going into whether its legal or not, I expect MS doesn't care so much about individuals doing it but might have things to say about businesses doing it. They want people on 10 as its easier to support just 1 os over 3 or more."

You do not need to use any password!
Don't use "Microsoft Account".
"Change password" under user sign-in options.
Change to blank.

Activate using your old Windows 7 key!
Windows 7 Home Premium for Home 10 or Windows 7 Professional for 10 Professional.

Install "Ublock Origin" into each browser to eliminate most Ads, including from HULU w/ads etc.

One hangup going from w7 to w10 is that a Steam game I have played 1000's of hours, is now clitchy asfuck. Not that any games I play are even A rated let alone AA or AAA, think mid circa 1990's graphic levels.

Now if I were to find and easily play the original Railroad Tycoon that'll be cool!
Some of the Quest games would bring back memories, Kings Quest.
One game I found on Steam, but lost the link, title was a game were you let loose a ball and you setup things to make the ball go this way and that way to cross a finish line.

The 4th gen i5 is doing good, bought it used as an oem pc. I keep my eyes on the Ryzen developments, waiting on the 4th gen Ryzen test benches, but even then an apu system will clock in at 4 or 5 bills, easy. You know what I could spend ebike wise with that kind of doe.
More battery for one.

DrkAngel said:
Change to blank.

Windows 7 Home Premium for Home 10 or Windows 7 Professional for 10 Professional.

Install "Ublock Origin" into each browser to eliminate most Ads, including from HULU w/ads etc.
I was just going to suggest the first two of these, or if you do have a local username and password log in automatically with Run, control userpasswords2 and then select the username and fill in the password.

For the games that don't run well, do they need a proper 3d video card instead of intel's integrated graphics?

thundercamel said:
DrkAngel said:
Change to blank.

I was just going to suggest the first two of these, or if you do have a local username and password log in automatically with Run, control userpasswords2 and then select the username and fill in the password.

For the games that don't run well, do they need a proper 3d video card instead of intel's integrated graphics?
Depends on the game, but video card is the typical shortcoming.

Back