LOWRACER-MANIA

LOWRACER

100 W
Hi guys!

Before a long time I've tested a new system to power my lowracer bent bikes.
It should be a low-maintenance construction, so I decided me for a front drive!

The drive system works reliable and I decided to create a little family of 5 lowracers...

[youtube]_a79m8YvbQA[/youtube]

Of course you can recreate it, that's the right video for all DIYers:

[youtube]CGbNpfEY1bU[/youtube]

Additional you can electrify it with a small electric hub motor in the rear,
but in my case not really needed... To fast!
:twisted:

Beautiful work as always LOWRACER! 8)

Thanks for the how-to!

Did you give up on your electric one?

They are some beautiful builds there Lowracer...youre like some kind of lowracer building wizard...you're the Gandalf of recumbents!

Have you studied engineering or are you self taught....just magical :lol: builds.

Awesome work. Now just do it big and you will be the shite. You have so much talent you should do industrial design or start your own compny. Doing more with less.

http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html

kriskros said:
the front chain ring is a real danger... dont ever run into anbody with that :!: :!:

Nope, not dangerous! But for some ultra lowracers you will need a gun license! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The chain rings are made from a disc saw blade:
[youtube]st2ob5LRTfc[/youtube]

LI-ghtcycle said:

Thanks for the how-to!

I'm to be of two minds about the electric assist lowracer.
We have strong regulations about e-bikes and electric assist bikes here, normally at 25Km/h(15mph) the motor cut off the power! :cry:
The lowracer "2FAST4U" without motor I can pedal up to 60Km/h(36mph) in the flat.
I can't believe that, that bike goes like a f**k. :twisted:

But I ask a friend in belgium, he has got a cobrabike lowracer, here's the same phenomena...
[youtube]cd68HovAhTo[/youtube]

Under good muscle conditions maybe I decide to ride next year with these guys...
[youtube]a6_U83MOEvc[/youtube]

:roll:

how about a high racer...? :mrgreen:
saw one in traffic..
looks ummm..... interesting... :D

Waterford08%20Hour%20(9)%20Robert%20Palmer%20on%20his%20Volae%20Highracer%20rode%2016%20laps%20at%20%2020pt9%20mph%20average.JPG

newsletter_pbp-rec-update_01.jpg

sk8norcal said:
how about a high racer...? :mrgreen:
saw one in traffic..
looks ummm..... interesting... :D

A high racer is better for traffic situations, because much better balance and better to see from car drivers.

A low racer is better for races, because it has got a lower air drag(Cw) and it's much faster.
But here the problem, the low racer has a nervous trajectory, you must learn to balance it!

I know it's difficult to believe, but here a freaky video:
[youtube]bKwZ-Kxxazk[/youtube]

cool video, some vintage footage i havent seent before,

I am familiar with recumbents,
been to two IHPVA events in the 90's
and raced ASME HPV's also, we had a low racer one year...

The speed doesn't seem that impressive...
last time I checked they haven't beaten the current upright hr record...

what is the current unfaired recumbent hour record?
http://www.recumbentjournal.com/news/sport/item/432-sandy-earl-to-attempt-24-hour-unfaired-recumbent-bicycle-record-august-13-14.html

LOWRACER said:
LI-ghtcycle said:

Thanks for the how-to!

We have strong regulations about e-bikes and electric assist bikes here, normally at 25Km/h(15mph) the motor cut off the power! :cry:
The lowracer "2FAST4U" without motor I can pedal up to 60Km/h(36mph) in the flat.

But I ask a friend in belgium, he has got a cobrabike lowracer, here's the same phenomena...
[youtube]cd68HovAhTo[/youtube]

Under good muscle conditions maybe I decide to ride next year with these guys...
[youtube]a6_U83MOEvc[/youtube]

:roll:

Yeah, I hear ya, it was really frustrating for me when I tried at first to build a very light lower powered E-Bike initially since I had the impression that if I could just keep it light, it wouldn't matter too much that it was lower powered, but to go distance AND have battery power for the hills, there really was a minimum weight that things had to be to make it worth being electric at all.

Then when I made an E-Bike that was a bit too powerful and fast for riding with traffic, but not really fast enough to keep up, it seemed to make things worst for me safety wise.

It's too bad they limit you so much where you live, it would make more sense to just say" no more than X watts at the rear wheel" with out pedaling, and then just let you use it how you like than a speed limit when pedaling makes you go faster?! :roll: :evil:

However, I don't know that I would even ride a high-racer on the road personally, I don't like the idea of having to crane my neck so much and to be looking through my feet spinning with the pedals, but I really should ride one before I decide they aren't for me.

I like to ride my bikes for transportation, so a Lowracer on the road will never be something I would consider on anything but a closed course, a bike path wouldn't be bad even!

Just too low for safety, both visibility and my comfort/ability to see traffic myself.

If there were a practical safe AND comfortable way to ride something like the Varna Diablo on the road, I would, but those little tiny controls, no real stability even underway (just see how much he moves side to side on that thing even under speed! :shock: ) make a trike sound so much more practical.

I'm really torn as to a more up-right Velomobile or just a tadpole trike with some kind of fold-able or stow-able shell/cover for the ultimate in comfort and practicality in a recumbent for commuting.

Maybe you can build enclosed Velomobile style Lowracers to those of us in countries with more liberal laws that can allow for more speed! (and even get a second house in the USA or something once you make it rich, and ride like us in a really fast E-Bike, :wink: :twisted: )

doesn't seem the high racer is any slower....

http://www.recumbents.com/wrra/records.asp?MoreInfo=Yes&ID=44
This WRRA record certifies that on 10/24/2008, Gert-Jan Wijers set a new Adult Male World Recumbent Racing Association record in the Non Faired class by riding 31.31 miles in 1:00 (hours:minutes:seconds) at an average speed of 31.31 MPH (50.389 KPH). This record was accomplished while riding a M5 Carbon High Racer recumbent bicycle during the 31.31 miles event at the Alkmaar Velodrome.

On October 24th 2008, Gert-Jan Wijers succeeded in his attempt on the unfaired recumbent hour record, riding an M5 Carbon High Racer. This record was set at the 250 Meter Alkmaar Velodrome in the Netherlands. At the time of this record, Gert-Jan was 41 years old.

LI-ghtcycle said:
LOWRACER said:
LI-ghtcycle said:

Thanks for the how-to!

Yeah, I hear ya, it was really frustrating for me when I tried at first to build a very light lower powered E-Bike initially since I had the impression that if I could just keep it light, it wouldn't matter too much that it was lower powered, but to go distance AND have battery power for the hills, there really was a minimum weight that things had to be to make it worth being electric at all.

Then when I made an E-Bike that was a bit too powerful and fast for riding with traffic, but not really fast enough to keep up, it seemed to make things worst for me safety wise.

It's too bad they limit you so much where you live, it would make more sense to just say" no more than X watts at the rear wheel" with out pedaling, and then just let you use it how you like than a speed limit when pedaling makes you go faster?! :roll: :evil:

However, I don't know that I would even ride a high-racer on the road personally, I don't like the idea of having to crane my neck so much and to be looking through my feet spinning with the pedals, but I really should ride one before I decide they aren't for me.

I like to ride my bikes for transportation, so a Lowracer on the road will never be something I would consider on anything but a closed course, a bike path wouldn't be bad even!

Just too low for safety, both visibility and my comfort/ability to see traffic myself.

If there were a practical safe AND comfortable way to ride something like the Varna Diablo on the road, I would, but those little tiny controls, no real stability even underway (just see how much he moves side to side on that thing even under speed! :shock: ) make a trike sound so much more practical.

I'm really torn as to a more up-right Velomobile or just a tadpole trike with some kind of fold-able or stow-able shell/cover for the ultimate in comfort and practicality in a recumbent for commuting.

Maybe you can build enclosed Velomobile style Lowracers to those of us in countries with more liberal laws that can allow for more speed! (and even get a second house in the USA or something once you make it rich, and ride like us in a really fast E-Bike, :wink: :twisted: )

Ok, I decided to help you...

Which bike do you wanna create?
Here a little collection of my bikes:
http://zeus2.zap.lu/page/YQXLbAjjIt/1dv01Yms1X2/?snzeus=298ZpCol2APBkS0

:|

Back