Bought a new phone

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.

Bought a new phone

Postby liveforphysics » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:35 pm

I bought a new phone. I was deciding between the galaxy nexus and the galaxy note, and after making a little dummy model of the phone's dimensions to try out in my pocket, I finally rested my concerns about the size and bought the Note. I'm pretty excited for it to arrive in 2 days. :-)

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite ... ?type=find

What are you guys running for smart phones these days?
Ebikes.ca

My bicycle completes the standing quarter mile in 11.502seconds at 110.56mph.

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure. It is no longer fashionable to spit carcinogenic combustion by products in peoples faces as a part of sating daily transport.

Every post is in honor to the free idea exchange that Justin le preserved to grow with an amazingly high quality content in what is the living bleeding edge of LEV development.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Re: Bought a new phone

Postby Ypedal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:40 pm

I got a Motorola Atrix, love the thing, reluctant to root it and void my warranty but am abou to have a go at it...
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com
Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:03 pm

looks like a nice phone. I was never into mobile phone's until this year when I was offered a new iphone 4 at 1/2 rrp outright. I was a little sceptical at first if I would even use it as I was trying to boycott apple products. but I have to be honest and say I actually use it a lot .

Mind you i would prefer something like that galaxy note just to have something a little more flexible and usually better features for the price than a apple product.

Progress hey who would have guessed 10 years ago we could expect so much from our mobile phones.

Just need a hd micro led projector built in to save straining your eyes. Something that can project say 20 - 40" from 5 feet. Actually i think they already do have them but not in the phone?

Kurt
Kurt
10 kW
10 kW

Postby mud2005 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:27 pm

I've never had a cellphone and I'm going to try and go my whole life w/o getting one though at times I've thought about it :oops:
Future's all yers ya lousy bicycle!
-Paul Newman
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
mud2005
10 kW
10 kW

Postby AussieJester » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:33 pm

Until recently the HTC HD2 but i broke the LCD ;-( ... now stuck with my poxy backup phone a HTC WildFiRE
till i can score another HD2 cheap, freakin love the HD2's run Windows and Android on it...
... Looks about the same size as the Note too?... Big screen phones rock :wink: ... Funnily enough
i have made about dozen (mobile) calls on it in the 6 months i have had it HAHAA Use it 99% for interwebs...Mobiles
dont work where i live, i have it hooked up with the home WiFi so can use it on the web and as a VOiP phone.

Hope you enjoy the new phone Luke, what custom ROM will you use on it?

KiM
AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Postby ohzee » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Damn that is sharp. I have a Bionic Droid and I absolutely LOVE the thing. Glad I got rid of my age old BB.

Go android die Apple.
ohzee
1 MW
1 MW

Postby Alan B » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:17 am

Looks like a great phone, Luke.

I'm about due for a new 'droid.
-- Alan W6AKB eESP, GreyBorg, eBikeE BMC, myEbikes, ezPCBs and Thanks to ebikes.ca for rescuing this forum!
Alan B
10 GW
10 GW

Postby Whiplash » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:48 am

Still got the DROID X but its a great phone!
Power is a fascinating thing, the more you have, the more you want, but the real power is having the restraint not to use it all at once...............Um...Yeah..

The harder you work.....The luckier you get!!

"People who say it can't be done are often interrupted by those that have already figured out how to do it!"

Email me @ currentcycles@gmail.com
OR check out http://www.CurrentCycles.net
Whiplash
1 GW
1 GW

Postby Lebowski » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:30 am

My job is to build the electronics in a smartphone (we work on the IC's that go into 'm here).
I have no interest in smart phones in my private life :D got a new nintendo 3DS though :mrgreen:
Lebowski
10 MW
10 MW

Postby liveforphysics » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:06 am

Kim- This phone has a screen so big its silly. Almost comical.
Ebikes.ca

My bicycle completes the standing quarter mile in 11.502seconds at 110.56mph.

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure. It is no longer fashionable to spit carcinogenic combustion by products in peoples faces as a part of sating daily transport.

Every post is in honor to the free idea exchange that Justin le preserved to grow with an amazingly high quality content in what is the living bleeding edge of LEV development.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby jonescg » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:33 am

liveforphysics wrote:Kim- This phone has a screen so big its silly. Almost comical.

First world problems :lol:
Voltron the Electric RG250 - Dual Agnis, Kelly 1200A controller, 6 kWh of A123 cells from Cell_Man and a shitty old chassis from 1985 :| Top speed 180 km/h, max current 600 A @ 100 V.
Voltron Evo 8)

If you think electric bikes are slow, build a faster one and we'll see you next year.
jonescg
100 MW
100 MW

Postby pelle242 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:58 am

The galaxy nexus is on my shopping list. I already have tablet so I relly dont want a crazy big display. Also the nexus will be pure android and fastest possible updates.
pelle242
100 W
100 W

Postby Alan B » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:40 am

The Galaxy Note looks like a great phone. I like the stylus, the precision of a stylus is worthwhile IMHO. The camera gets great ratings.

How is the network speed? Looks like they might be behind on that?
-- Alan W6AKB eESP, GreyBorg, eBikeE BMC, myEbikes, ezPCBs and Thanks to ebikes.ca for rescuing this forum!
Alan B
10 GW
10 GW

Postby AussieJester » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:30 am

liveforphysics wrote:Kim- This phone has a screen so big its silly. Almost comical.

Yeah its 5.3 the HD2 is 4.3 and that was really on the large side for a phone, hell i watched movies on the thing
some nights in bed :-| i found it difficult to carry on me, i kept it in my back pack most times i was out, but as i mentioned, rarely used it for its phone abilities so ease of access was mute point, if the phone hadn't worked it wouldn't have been much of a loss, i actually used it more than my PC when it was going, for surfing and emailing..... Actually a bit of a blessing in disguise it broke, i was laying in bed on the thing till 9-10am most mornings catching up on forum gossip rather than getting up and creating stuff to gossip about HAHA...hope you enjoy your new toy anywayz Luke
ma man ;-)

KiM
AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Postby BlackArrow » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 am

Hi Luke,

I have a Galaxy IIS and I love my smart phone, nice smart phone i'm a bit jealous :lol: for the bigger screen of course and other goodies :wink:

Good day!
Black Arrow
BlackArrow
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Ypedal » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:03 am

When i first switched from my Krzr the biggest concern was the HUGE Size of these smartphones.. figured it would be a huge hassle to carry around, almost got the samsung with BATA, glad i sticked with my moto.. incredible what you can do while on the move....

sitting in a restaurant having a conversation, someone asks a question that nobody knows how to answer, flip the phone, fire up google and BAM. " that's what's in tartar sauce ! ! "

I have not had a home phone in 12 years.
ES site status page:
----------------
Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Postby AussieJester » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:06 am

Ypedal wrote:sitting in a restaurant having a conversation, someone asks a question that nobody knows how to answer, flip the phone, fire up google and BAM. " that's what's in tartar sauce ! ! "

And if your like me :P you do this rather 'discretely' under the table
a lil, so its out of view of others, so it looks like your one clever mother fucker :mrgreen:

KiM
AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Pure » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:17 am

I dunno Luke, I kinda like the larger screen.

I just up---err downgraded. I had a BB curve, but it freaking just up and died on me one day. No not the battery, the phone had some weird software glitch, but anyways, I went with a non smart phone, a pantech lazer. I like how thin it is and it's still a fully functional slider. I really only need a phone for 3 things, talking, texting, and the occasional internet. The picture on their site doesn't do it justice to just how thin it really is. http://www.pantechusa.com/phones/laser

On a side note, I've had an iphone in the past, and hated not having actual keys to type on. So the fact that this phone has real keys in combo with a touch screen is a bonus.
Mongoose DH
X5304
60V20Ah LiFePO4

I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns to its original trajectory and adheres to you. So there!
Pure
10 kW
10 kW

Postby grindz145 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:20 am

I'm still rocking an EVO but this Note looks awesome. Just got a asus transformer 10" tablet. Amazing little computer.
grindz145
1 GW
1 GW

Postby Kingfish » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:28 pm

Luke, I knew you were holding out for a great phone :)

I have the Samsung Droid Charge. <yawn> Last week the system finally upgraded to Version 2.6.35.7; no Ice Cream for me :x

I have not been terribly impressed with the technology; these are still toys afaic.

I hope your phone exceeds your expectations though :)
Happy for you, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Current ride: 2WD Disc EBikeKit (9C 2806-equivalent) / Dual Lyen 12FET / 15S6P LiPo when commuting.
* Going to California: 2011: Trip completed 8)
* Club Member: 40-mph & 101. 10k-Club: 11,096 miles-to-date, 5606 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Postby ohzee » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:31 pm

grindz145 wrote:I'm still rocking an EVO but this Note looks awesome. Just got a asus transformer 10" tablet. Amazing little computer.

We bought my oldest son one of those for his bday few months back.. he used his extra bday money to get the keyboard attachment..

Man that thing is pretty awesome.. I also know that our local cable co is about to offer TV programming on android without the cable box so that
is going to be another bonus. Yea i love the transformer nice piece of hw.
ohzee
1 MW
1 MW

Postby Green Machine » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:42 pm

I got the galaxy note thanks to lukes recommendation and love it.

Dont even think about the size factor except for the convenience of the large screen.

I sold both my iphone and my ipad and if i had apple stock i would sell all that too quick.
http://www.electricbike.com Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
Green Machine
100 kW
100 kW

Postby michaelplogue » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm a bit weird when it comes to gadgets. Although I am a confirmed geek and early adopter, I'm not a huge fan of multi function devices. If I want a phone, I want just a phone. I don't want something I can watch videos on or browse the Internet. I have a tablet to do all my media viewing and ebook reading. Phones should be getting smaller, not bigger!

I just want a small phone that does nothing but be a phone, and that's the size of a cigarette lighter to fit nicely in my pocket. I'd get a watch phone, but they look so dorky. I want a fricking Zoolander cell phone, dammit! :mrgreen:
Last edited by michaelplogue on Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelplogue
10 kW
10 kW

Postby oatnet » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:14 pm

ohzee wrote:Go android die Apple.

Hater! :roll: :lol:

While android doesn't work for me personally, I can see it is a cool phone with a great screen for those who prefer that flavor. Luke congrats on your purchase, have fun with it!

-JD
Member 117 of 19,000+

153v DUNE BUGGY © 164v Vectrix E-Moto © 72v Norco A-line/x5403 © 60v Specialized Enduro Comp/BMC © 72v x5tracycle © 48v TF IO/BMC © 36v Kepler FrictionDrive © Spot-Welding a123 © Pelican Front Packs © Vectrix Battery Replacement © MORE !!

Image大鸡巴 Motors
Knowledge is acquired through experience, everything else is just information - Albert Einstein
"Cheater?" I'm not competing, I'm Commuting!
oatnet
100 MW
100 MW

Postby Ypedal » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:22 pm

I used a few of my friends iphone's on occasion, it does everything i need a phone to do, and everything a gadget does, i prefer my droid for one main reason, the marketplace is HUGE and most of it is free. other than that.. i'd make due with either one.

Am about to sell my laptop and get a tablet instead.
ES site status page:
----------------
Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Next

Return to General Discussion