Bought a new phone

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.

Re: Bought a new phone

Postby ohzee » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:20 pm

agreed 100% - to each his own.. If everyone was like me this would be one weird world ;p
ohzee
1 MW
1 MW

Postby chroot » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:33 pm

Samsung Note is nice device, I bought a Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket for my girlfriend (xmas gift) and I still using my TBolt (Thunderbolt) rooted running MIUI ICS ROM. I really wanted Note and Verizon doesn't offer. :(

I have 2 Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 tablets, Both are rooted and running Task650 ROM.
Thank you Justin Lemire-Elmore - You are a HERO!

Tidalforce, Yuba Mundo V4 Cargo bike, Juiced Riders ODK V1 Cargo bike
English is my secondary language - ASL (American Sign Language) is my primary.
chroot
1 MW
1 MW

Postby zombiess » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:04 pm

I'm running a Nexus One and have no plans to change any time soon. Since most of the developers use this phone it gets lots of love with software releases such as Cyanogenmod.

As for Crapple products, I absolutely hate the company. I use to have to support some of the iphone/Ipad users here at my job and holy shit does crapple make it a pain in the ass to do what should be easy. Having to use itunes to transfer files, video files have to be exactly the perfect size and codec, what a pain in the ass.

They could fix this really easy but just allowing you to plug it into your computer, have it show up as a drive like every other device in the world and read/write to it. Problem solved. Oh, linking devices to certain computers... more ridiculous bullshit. I weaseled out of having to support these products thankfully. IT admin nightmare to deal with.

If I want to add a picture to a device I want to plug it into USB and drag/drop what I want into a folder, not some retarded dumbed down interface that complicates my life and only works with certain linked devices.

Only think I like about crapple is they have great MS Exchange server active sync support.
Greyborg Warp Frame with Greyborg Cromotor aka "Monster Bike", 24 FET IRFB4115 EB324 Top Speed 42MPH (75V)
Greyborg Hub Motor, ZombieSS 24FET/36FET IRFB4115, Customized full suspension kids MTB. Top Speed 61 MPH (125V)
9C 8x8, 24S2P LiPo, Lyen 12 FET, Diamondback Recoil Comp. Top Speed 42 MPH (100V)
Greyborg USA/Canada Dealer, Frame kits + motor in stock now http://www.greyborgusa.com
zombiess
100 MW
100 MW

Postby dingoEsride » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:09 am

A phone 6" long x 3.5" is huge, a bit like sticking a ipad to your ear reminds me a bit of my first phone some 15 years ago, needing one being a sub contract carpenter, a uniden that was like a 3 x 2 x 8 timber and the weight of a brick that size with a massive 7 hour standby time that i later added an external power source, wow how times have changed and we still winge that these devices cant do more, got to admit that my lg optimus p970 black is much more than a phone but doesn't wake me up in the mornig like all my previous ones could without leaving it on all night
ride like the wind
dingoEsride
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Ypedal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:23 pm

I find myself using speakerphone more than holding it up to my face since i went with the brick.. aparently comes thru better on the other end that way too !!.. i am not impressed with the audio quality vs my old Krzr..
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com
Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Postby dodjob » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Got a good new ol' desire for a very good price on ebay :)
rooted it 2 hours after opened the box and "S-offed" it in a raw ^^
I now use the runnymede ROM 3.0.4 from sebastien15 (gingerbread + sense 3.5) from the Sensation XL with snq kernel. Everything works like a charm, smooth and fast like a stock 2.1 UI AND with X2SDX script I got 1.6Gb place for my apps (If I ever need it ;) )
The sound is actually reaaaally good (I use it mostly as a mp3 player and I'm quite "audiophile") *if used with the "dspmanager.apk" and real good Headphones (Xears XE200PRO ebony for me)
Android rocks and the Xda-developers forum is the right place to learn. Something like here. Full of motivated people who NEVER will do what's written on the box ;) or at least not without knowing what does that mean ^^
Happy to see here people sharing the same "way to think" :mrgreen:
Gruß,
H.
PS: would be great in the future to get an app for the forum. I know that a lot of people don't really like the though but an app like the XDA would be awesome :) I'm also waiting someone to design any CA compatible app ;)
Felt beer-cruiser MAC 8T lifepo4 36V12AH 12FETS4110 http://www.bavarian-ebikes.com
dodjob
1 kW
1 kW

Postby frodus » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Due to some development work I'm doing on the side with a friend, I decided to move to android last month..... found a Captivate S on craigslist for cheap and bought it. rooted it and installed CM7.... used it a while and bluetooth was wonky and it ate battery like nothing else. Then apps started to crash.... restored but it just wasn't cutting it, so I went to MIUI.us..... and I love it. Battery lasts a long time, bluetooth works.

Kinda looking for a new android phone now.... looking a little at the LG Thrill (3D display and camera). Not sure if I want to jump ship in Jan when my contract runs out, or if I want to switch. Right now I have "unlimited" data, so I don't know if I want to give that up, althought I don't use more than a 2Gig right now.

As far as the forum app, tapatalk supports phpbb, the admin's need to install the module.
http://www.tapatalk.com/
frodus
1 MW
1 MW

Postby liveforphysics » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Wooooot!!! My new phone arrived. :-)

I was worried it would be cumbersomely large. It's actually just perfect! I'm super super super happy with it! Woot!!! Fits effortlessly into my pockets, feels perfect in my hands (I do have giant hands), and it's SOOOOO nice to type on, I can just fly on this keyboard, and it doesn't feel like my fingers are making a stretch at all, it's more like they are getting to type without feeling cramped up.

I'm very very very very happy with it! $750 well spent. All ready makes my Evo 4g feel like a crude primitive device.

In 20mins or so it should be rooted and hacked, and I will start trying out various custom ROM's to see what I like best on this beast.

Ebikes.ca

My bicycle completes the standing quarter mile in 11.502seconds at 110.56mph.

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure. It is no longer fashionable to spit carcinogenic combustion by products in peoples faces as a part of sating daily transport.

Every post is in honor to the free idea exchange that Justin le preserved to grow with an amazingly high quality content in what is the living bleeding edge of LEV development.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby liveforphysics » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Those pictures on my screen make it look like the text is unreadable garbled mess, but the screen is 1280x800 resolution (higher resolution than most laptop screens and many computer monitors), and it's perfectly clean and clear and readable in person. The photo just can't replicate the screen without being huge, and from a better camera than my Evo's.
Ebikes.ca

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure. It is no longer fashionable to spit carcinogenic combustion by products in peoples faces as a part of sating daily transport.

Every post is in honor to the free idea exchange that Justin le preserved to grow with an amazingly high quality content in what is the living bleeding edge of LEV development.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Alan B » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Looks good!
-- Alan W6AKB eESP, GreyBorg, eBikeE BMC, myEbikes, ezPCBs and Thanks to ebikes.ca for rescuing this forum!
Alan B
10 GW
10 GW

Postby ohzee » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:36 pm

Where are the pics of you and fabio?
ohzee
1 MW
1 MW

Postby liveforphysics » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 pm

ohzee wrote:Where are the pics of you and fabio?

Odd thing to ask... but here you go.

Ebikes.ca

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby chroot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:20 pm

You will enjoy with super AMOLED HD, and they are super crystal clear FTW. I am waiting for girlfriend return home and will take a picture to compare yours. 8)
Thank you Justin Lemire-Elmore - You are a HERO!

Tidalforce, Yuba Mundo V4 Cargo bike, Juiced Riders ODK V1 Cargo bike
English is my secondary language - ASL (American Sign Language) is my primary.
chroot
1 MW
1 MW

Postby dodjob » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:49 pm

"In 20mins or so it should be rooted and hacked, and I will start trying out various custom ROM's to see what I like best on this beast. " loool way to go mate!! :)
flash flash flash flash :mrgreen:
Felt beer-cruiser MAC 8T lifepo4 36V12AH 12FETS4110 http://www.bavarian-ebikes.com
dodjob
1 kW
1 kW

Postby dingoEsride » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Thats just fabious!
ride like the wind
dingoEsride
10 kW
10 kW

Postby AussieJester » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 pm

dodjob wrote:
H.
PS: would be great in the future to get an app for the forum. I know that a lot of people don't really like the though but an app like the XDA would be awesome :) I'm also waiting someone to design any CA compatible app ;)

There already is, has been for months. The bloke that bought the forum from and wanted to commercialize it, had an app made, i tried it but prefer accessing it via web browser.

KiM
AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Postby ohzee » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Hah sorry Luke - Was out at dinner and the wife brought up Fabio and I remembered that pic and responded in kind.

thanks for sharing.
ohzee
1 MW
1 MW

Postby Arlo1 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:49 am

Did you make a ulta lipo battery hack yet?
Thanks Justin at http://www.ebikes.ca/
Thanks to Methy at http://www.methtek.com/
And Dave who has Nomex, fets and current sensors etc. STUFF
My YSR build. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18183
Finished http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC lipo and most other types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them under your bed or were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW

Postby oatnet » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:45 am

Luke I have resolution envy on your new screen. :mrgreen:

-JD

PS - Am I the only one getting an Al-Bundy-with-long-hair vibe from Fabio in this shot?

Member 117 of 19,000+

153v DUNE BUGGY © 164v Vectrix E-Moto © 72v Norco A-line/x5403 © 60v Specialized Enduro Comp/BMC © 72v x5tracycle © 48v TF IO/BMC © 36v Kepler FrictionDrive © Spot-Welding a123 © Pelican Front Packs © Vectrix Battery Replacement © MORE !!

Image大鸡巴 Motors
Knowledge is acquired through experience, everything else is just information - Albert Einstein
"Cheater?" I'm not competing, I'm Commuting!
oatnet
100 MW
100 MW

Postby liveforphysics » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:46 am

Oatnet- my laptop has resolution envy too. :-) And contrast envy. It seems insane a tiny mobile disply can have such inky dark blacks, and have such a vivid color pallet. looks perfect from way off angle still, and even stayed totally usable in direct sunlight with glare today earlier.

Im all hacked and on my 2nd ROM and 3rd kernal today. Over clocked dynamically, saves power when idle, goes to dual 1.6ghz cores when working. Which is something it spends roughly zero time doing now, because the new OS is totally de-bloated and streamlined.

Im am really really happy with it. My 4.3in screen evo feels like a clumsy childs toy to try to type and browse with now, and just yesterday i was loving it. Lol
Ebikes.ca

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Green Machine » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Here is the galaxy note shipping from amazon prime for $636 shipping included...641 with next day air delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Un ... 084&sr=1-1

I bought mine from amazon and converted my existing iphone unlimited data contract to the note. Amazingly the at@t store did the conversion for me and swapped out the data card for free.
http://www.electricbike.com Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
Green Machine
100 kW
100 kW

Postby liveforphysics » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:13 pm

Green Machine wrote:Here is the galaxy note shipping from amazon prime for $636 shipping included...641 with next day air delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Un ... 084&sr=1-1

I bought mine from amazon and converted my existing iphone unlimited data contract to the note. Amazingly the at@t store did the conversion for me and swapped out the data card for free.

Right on! That's a fantastic price on this amazing device.
Ebikes.ca

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby RVD » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Luke,

I have the Dell Streak. It's pretty similar to the note in terms of size. I love it. Yes, it's big and everyone makes fun of me and random people say "is that a PHONE?" but it's perfect and it fits right in my pocket.

My next phone is probably going to be the Note.
TidalForce S-750, 9C 2807, 14s lipo. Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27525
Dahon Speed D7, e-bikekit 350 watt geared motor, 12s lipo. Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34958
RVD
1 kW
1 kW

Postby liveforphysics » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:29 pm

RVD wrote:Luke,

I have the Dell Streak. It's pretty similar to the note in terms of size. I love it. Yes, it's big and everyone makes fun of me and random people say "is that a PHONE?" but it's perfect and it fits right in my pocket.

My next phone is probably going to be the Note.

Right on, I had often considered the streak when it released.

I couldn't be happier with the Note, it's absolutely everything I had hoped it could be and more. Perfectly suits me as a phone, the size has never been a bit of an issue yet, I hardly notice it in my pocket. If I wasn't a huge guy with huge hands I could see where it could potentially become an issue though.
Ebikes.ca

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby frodus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:43 am

do they even sell the 5" streak anymore?
frodus
1 MW
1 MW

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion