Bought a new phone

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.

Re: Bought a new phone

Postby AussieJester » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 pm

dodjob wrote:
H.
PS: would be great in the future to get an app for the forum. I know that a lot of people don't really like the though but an app like the XDA would be awesome :) I'm also waiting someone to design any CA compatible app ;)

There already is, has been for months. The bloke that bought the forum from and wanted to commercialize it, had an app made, i tried it but prefer accessing it via web browser.

KiM
AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Postby ohzee » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Hah sorry Luke - Was out at dinner and the wife brought up Fabio and I remembered that pic and responded in kind.

thanks for sharing.
ohzee
1 MW
1 MW

Postby Arlo1 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:49 am

Did you make a ulta lipo battery hack yet?
Thanks Justin at http://www.ebikes.ca/
Thanks to Methy at http://www.methtek.com/
And Dave who has Nomex, fets and current sensors etc. STUFF
My YSR build. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18183
Finished http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC lipo and most other types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them under your bed or were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW

Postby oatnet » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:45 am

Luke I have resolution envy on your new screen. :mrgreen:

-JD

PS - Am I the only one getting an Al-Bundy-with-long-hair vibe from Fabio in this shot?

Member 117 of 19,000+

153v DUNE BUGGY © 164v Vectrix E-Moto © 72v Norco A-line/x5403 © 60v Specialized Enduro Comp/BMC © 72v x5tracycle © 48v TF IO/BMC © 36v Kepler FrictionDrive © Spot-Welding a123 © Pelican Front Packs © Vectrix Battery Replacement © MORE !!

Image大鸡巴 Motors
Knowledge is acquired through experience, everything else is just information - Albert Einstein
"Cheater?" I'm not competing, I'm Commuting!
oatnet
100 MW
100 MW

Postby liveforphysics » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:46 am

Oatnet- my laptop has resolution envy too. :-) And contrast envy. It seems insane a tiny mobile disply can have such inky dark blacks, and have such a vivid color pallet. looks perfect from way off angle still, and even stayed totally usable in direct sunlight with glare today earlier.

Im all hacked and on my 2nd ROM and 3rd kernal today. Over clocked dynamically, saves power when idle, goes to dual 1.6ghz cores when working. Which is something it spends roughly zero time doing now, because the new OS is totally de-bloated and streamlined.

Im am really really happy with it. My 4.3in screen evo feels like a clumsy childs toy to try to type and browse with now, and just yesterday i was loving it. Lol
Ebikes.ca

My bicycle completes the standing quarter mile in 11.502seconds at 110.56mph.

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure. It is no longer fashionable to spit carcinogenic combustion by products in peoples faces as a part of sating daily transport.

Every post is in honor to the free idea exchange that Justin le preserved to grow with an amazingly high quality content in what is the living bleeding edge of LEV development.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Green Machine » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Here is the galaxy note shipping from amazon prime for $636 shipping included...641 with next day air delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Un ... 084&sr=1-1

I bought mine from amazon and converted my existing iphone unlimited data contract to the note. Amazingly the at@t store did the conversion for me and swapped out the data card for free.
http://www.electricbike.com Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
Green Machine
100 kW
100 kW

Postby liveforphysics » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:13 pm

Green Machine wrote:Here is the galaxy note shipping from amazon prime for $636 shipping included...641 with next day air delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Un ... 084&sr=1-1

I bought mine from amazon and converted my existing iphone unlimited data contract to the note. Amazingly the at@t store did the conversion for me and swapped out the data card for free.

Right on! That's a fantastic price on this amazing device.
Ebikes.ca

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure. It is no longer fashionable to spit carcinogenic combustion by products in peoples faces as a part of sating daily transport.

Every post is in honor to the free idea exchange that Justin le preserved to grow with an amazingly high quality content in what is the living bleeding edge of LEV development.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby RVD » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Luke,

I have the Dell Streak. It's pretty similar to the note in terms of size. I love it. Yes, it's big and everyone makes fun of me and random people say "is that a PHONE?" but it's perfect and it fits right in my pocket.

My next phone is probably going to be the Note.
TidalForce S-750, 9C 2807, 14s lipo. Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27525
Dahon Speed D7, e-bikekit 350 watt geared motor, 12s lipo. Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34958
RVD
1 kW
1 kW

Postby liveforphysics » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:29 pm

RVD wrote:Luke,

I have the Dell Streak. It's pretty similar to the note in terms of size. I love it. Yes, it's big and everyone makes fun of me and random people say "is that a PHONE?" but it's perfect and it fits right in my pocket.

My next phone is probably going to be the Note.

Right on, I had often considered the streak when it released.

I couldn't be happier with the Note, it's absolutely everything I had hoped it could be and more. Perfectly suits me as a phone, the size has never been a bit of an issue yet, I hardly notice it in my pocket. If I wasn't a huge guy with huge hands I could see where it could potentially become an issue though.
Ebikes.ca

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby frodus » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:43 am

do they even sell the 5" streak anymore?
frodus
1 MW
1 MW

Postby RVD » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:11 pm

no, the 5" streak was discontinued. i bought it last year (almost exactly 1 year ago). it's still a nice phone and i'll probably keep it for at least another 6 months.

roms are getting updated regularly but you have to download them off the internet, etc.
Dahon Speed D7, e-bikekit 350 watt geared motor, 12s lipo. Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34958
RVD
1 kW
1 kW

Postby grindz145 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:54 pm

That's my next phone if they bring it to Sprint, for sure.
grindz145
1 GW
1 GW

Postby Ypedal » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:24 am

Hey.... any droid users here experiene an occasiional ( like once every few months) .. when you unplug the charger in the morning and unlock the ph, very slugish like 100 amps were running at once... try to power off and reboot but it just locks up on " shutting down " .. until you pull the battery ?

I've had this happen like 4 times since having my motorola Atrix.. not rooted..
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com
Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Postby jingles98 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Xperia X10 Mini, miniCM7 - 2.1.6. Unofficial port of 2.3.7, nAa-08 kernel running at stock speed (600mhz single core). Can run it at 749mhz but gets a little unstable.
Previously on my desk has been:
Samsung Galaxy S (lost count at how many different roms/kernels got flashed on it)
Samsung Wave 8500T (flashed to 8500B due to not having a single update here in Oz for Telstra)
Nokia N8 (flashed to Symbian Anna, will update to it Belle when i can get the chance)
iPhone 4 (sold for $550 AU unlocked, three weeks after their release)
iPhone 3GS
Nokia N97 and N95 8gb just to list a few :)
All of these previous handsets have gone to friends when i wanted to update to something else. Next on the cards WILL be a Galaxy Note.
jingles98
1 mW
1 mW

Postby Green Machine » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:09 pm

IT turns out one of my favorite things about this phone is cheap interchangeable lithium batteries. Reminds me sort of electric bikes.

I keep a charging station with extra batteries...keep a soft cover on the phone and no longer keep the back of the phone on the phone. I simply slide the phone out of the soft case and then change the battery. The most convenient charge solution on a phone ever. I keep an emergency battery in the glove box of my car etc.

I get batteries for $5 each straight from china on ebay.

Here is an example...3 batteries and wall charger including shipping from china $15.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-2500mAh-Batt ... 19ce7493d0
http://www.electricbike.com Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.
Green Machine
100 kW
100 kW

Postby RVD » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:41 pm

btw, i also got the samsung galaxy note. it's awesome. much better than my old dell streak.
RVD
1 kW
1 kW

Postby boppinbob » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Go android die Apple.

I have an android phone. (open source) There was a time long ago when IBM was looked at like the status quo and Apple was the rebel way. Now Apple is worth more than Greece.
Project bike-Genesis v2100, Crystalyte HS 3540 with 72v40A controller and four 5s8Ah zippy lipos in series.
boppinbob
1 kW
1 kW

Postby liveforphysics » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Its been 6months of bliss now with my Note.

Really really happy with it, and always actively looking for anything better. Nothing is out that comes close.
Ebikes.ca

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby zombiess » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm still on my Nexus one and have no need to replace it. Some of the newer bigger screens are nice, but also take up more pocket space which is annoying.
Greyborg Warp Frame with Greyborg Cromotor aka "Monster Bike", 24 FET IRFB4115 EB324 Top Speed 42MPH (75V)
Greyborg Hub Motor, ZombieSS 24FET/36FET IRFB4115, Customized full suspension kids MTB. Top Speed 61 MPH (125V)
9C 8x8, 24S2P LiPo, Lyen 12 FET, Diamondback Recoil Comp. Top Speed 42 MPH (100V)
Greyborg USA/Canada Dealer, Frame kits + motor in stock now http://www.greyborgusa.com
zombiess
100 MW
100 MW

Postby liveforphysics » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:58 pm

zombiess wrote:I'm still on my Nexus one and have no need to replace it. Some of the newer bigger screens are nice, but also take up more pocket space which is annoying.

The Note just slips in my pocket and fits perfectly.
Most important,it feels like its sized properly for use with my giant paws. If I was a tiny guy I might not like it. As a big guy, it feels like it was made for me. :-)
Ebikes.ca

liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Ypedal » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Guy at work got a note a few weeks ago.. seems HUGE compared to my Atrix.. but it's slim, and light.

he likes it so far.. but damn it's big for a " phone " ... small for a tablet.

speaking of tablets.....

anyone have opinion on getting a playbook for 200$ vs a ship from china for 150 ish with droid ?
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com
Ypedal
100 GW
100 GW

Postby AussieJester » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:28 pm

liveforphysics wrote:Its been 6months of bliss now with my Note.

Really really happy with it, and always actively looking for anything better. Nothing is out that comes close.

Picked up the HTC Sensation 2 months ago, couldnt be happier with it, not the screen size of the Note but suitable for my needs...Was a toss up between the Samsung Galaxy 2 the build quality IMO lacked in the Samsung, screen was nicer granted but had a toy plastic feel to it, both run the dual core CPU performance wise they are on a par, the HTC is metal case feels alot more solid to me though so .....either way Gotta love Android.... 8)

KiM
AussieJester
100 GW
100 GW

Postby kevo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:51 am

YPedal wrote: anyone have opinion on getting a playbook ?

My son participated in their promotion of write an app, receive a playbook free.
They're pretty liberal on the promotion if its still in effect.
Thanks Justin of http://ebikes.ca for your amazing talents, dedication and contributions to ES!
Post licensed under "Open Source" http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
kevo
1 kW
1 kW

Postby kevo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:54 am

Those who have the Note, is anyone using it mounted to your bikes handlebars while riding?
If so how easy is it to see the screen with glare?
Thanks Justin of http://ebikes.ca for your amazing talents, dedication and contributions to ES!
Post licensed under "Open Source" http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
kevo
1 kW
1 kW

Postby Xanda2260 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:56 am

Use a desire s myself (im only little), and love it to bits. Got my speedict ebike hooked up on the trike and having all the info I coild possibly want on the phone is cool.

Just wish they did a version with more processing power, but anything more powerful is generally too big for my little hands... :(
The White Warrior - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33918
Homebuilt 40mph+ tadpole!
Xanda2260
1 kW
1 kW

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion