Passed at 120mph while cycling

veloman

10 MW
I figure that was about the speed the truck was going, given how he gained such incredible ground on me instantly, and was almost catching air off the quite smooth roadway. I've ridden next to 65mph traffic, (12 feet away, riding the shoulder of loop 360) and tonight, this legitimately looked like he gained ground twice as fast.

Luckily I was cycling in this 'odd' contraflow bike lane that puts NB cyclists on the other side of the road from NB cars. This is a neighborhood street with a 30mph speed limit. It is dead flat and straight for over a mile, so I think it attracts this sort of 'testing the limits' of your vehicle driving. Most likely a teenager, as I remember how my friends drove when we all first started driving.

Well, yeah it was like being in a video game. The even stupider part is that a few hundred feet away is a 6 lane expressway that parallels this road. If you're going to drive that fast, at least do it on the highway.

The good news is he didn't chuck a full bud light at ya.

They have been re running top gear non stop lately, since the new season of the show starts next week.

that's why they drink the long necks, so they have a handle to use when they throw it. of course where i am from, they just shoot at things from the truck at speed.

anybody old enuff to remember "Easy Rider'"? peter fonda, jack nickelson, where they shot them from the pickup?

that is on the levee road about 5 miles south of one of our farms in louisiana. redneck territory. that hole in the wall restaurant where they stopped is in morganza, la. i used to stop and eat there sometimes when my dad and i were working in the woods down there on saturday.

This isn't even in the countryside, this was smack dab in the city, a quiet neighborhood just 5 miles from downtown. I bet that truck goes to one of the two high schools within 3 miles of the incident.

fastest i ever got my old honda wagon was about 105 and that was on the long hill outside evanston, wyoming. just glad the wheels did not come off.

the guys on mythbusters just did the stupidest thing, maybe, they have ever done. Square tires on a pickup truck so it would climb hills!! beyond stupid.

i have now passed about 7,000 lbs of wood scrap from the house they are building up the street!!

about over now, i was picking up lumber from the deck today, no more framing. whatta lotta firewood.

i even found a '86 honda wagon parts car at a junkyard so i can fix the broken torsion arm now that i finally read the manual and figured out how to take it out.

add that to the 'free' for the wood. it is still cheap. labor not included. my free labor is really the only free thing about it.

Is there a vehicle in Texas that is not a pickup truck?

My favorite ride in NM is the Easy rider route, the old NM 85 north of Truth or Consequences. To this day, near completely free of traffic of any kind. It's the scene just before they go to the commune in Taos.

This wasn't as fast, but still worrying - I even had one of those flip out orange orange lollipop reflectors on the passing side, which has reduced close passing somewhat. Cycling during drinking hours, is especially hazardous - more blind drivers than usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOiI7wYRh-Q

Back