Handlebar Cam Catches Hit & Run

StudEbiker wrote: Hit is at 2:40
This is why we love the dedicated bike trail from Ashland to Medford :)

Very evil. This is about a quarter mile from our weekly Tunnel Road Sunday ride start. Amazing how the bicyclist was able to walk away from a criminally dangerous vehicle assault.

The registered owner of the vehicle was arrested on suspicion of felony hit and run, :x heroin possession, :roll: weapons and parole violations according to the Berkeley police.

woah....who the hell does that...?

It seems lucky they were going slower at that part, or at least so it seems because of how quickly they stopped.

kevo said:
The registered owner of the vehicle was arrested on suspicion of felony hit and run, :x
heroin possession, :roll: weapons and parole violations according to the Berkeley police.

I'm glad they were caught... I wasn't sure if the video actually had the license plate.

Kin wrote: I wasn't sure if the video actually had the license plate.
Yep, video experts slowed and zoomed to capture it. The owner claimed 'the car had been stolen' but the 'report' was after the accident. He was hiding in a hotel at Jack London Square, Oakland.

Helmet, shoes, and gloves, all show their value; also recommend hi-vis yellow reflective wear and daytime flashing lights that are bright and with a random flashing pattern. Might not help with a strung out junkie behind the wheel. Once again some riders cheated death to ride on, sadly occurs all to often un-reported and the perp gets away.

Definitely a testament to protective clothing. Lucky day for these riders as it could've been much worse!

I really want front & rear cams recording 20-30 minute loops on eBike and motorcycle. At least give my family a chance to find the bastard that takes me out!

This is happening way too often. I think the proliferation of affordable and easy video cams have helped this along. Probably been going on forever... quite sickening.

I wonder what the best/easiest solution for doing daily filming is.

Why is this sickening those guys ran two stops signs and had it coming
Breaking the LAW and all
[youtube]bN1ko6wo4wM[/youtube]

Wow, I thought they were going to get tagged as they entered the main driving lane to pass a car. Nope, the damn car just weaved over for no reason to crowd them.

They were doing something I never do. Let a car overtake me that I didn't eyball. But where I ride on a similar road, a frontage road with a stripe seperating my lane from the cars, I have few cars passing me. I know that stripe means nothing.

They could at least pause at a stop sign too, but that was not germane to this accident.

But...this was malevolent, right? I don't see how it could be accidental. Of course, the cam is not the perfect perspective, but who drives into the curb at such an angle?

I was joking about the stop signs but thats what half the popnews fearpaper comments online imply
Makes it Hard not to become a Misanthrope
Dude reported his integra stolen but still got arrested
http://www.dailycal.org/2012/04/28/arrest-made-in-berkeley-hit-and-run-case/
Poll: how many years should this guy get locked up
?

Never seen anybody weaving all over while they text and drive yet? You sure don't live in my town. This guy was likely refilling his crack pipe.

One year, didn't kill anybody. He'll only do weeks of jail I bet. Unless he violated and goes to serve a suspended sentence for the dope.

cz hs txtng

He wasn't looking out the front window.

I almost ended up the same way but I glanced at my mirror at the right moment and moved over a bit. :shock: Elderly woman would have nailed me had I not been aware a few seconds before as she wandered into the bike lane. Great to see they caught it on camera!

Always try to eyeball every single car that overtakes you. Do the same thing when driving a car too for that matter.

I couldn't tell if these riders had mirrors, but if not, they were just riding and trusting. You never saw them check thier 6.

That road section Ashby leading up to Tunnel Road is a major outlet out of Berkeley. Pretty much has continuous car traffic throughout the day. UC Berkeley, LBL Labs, city of Berkeley all funnel out of there. A lot of cyclists use the Uplands surface streets that has far less traffic and then joins up with Tunnel. From what I could see on the video, I think the rider was past the Uplands intersection and was on the final short stint of traffic before typically peeling off to the much less traffic section of Tunnel Road. The bike group he rides with is very familiar with that route and at his pace he knew it was only about two minutes of that busy section. Ughhh so close to avoiding it all :x

Ykick said:
Definitely a testament to protective clothing. Lucky day for these riders as it could've been much worse!

I really want front & rear cams recording 20-30 minute loops on eBike and motorcycle. At least give my family a chance to find the bastard that takes me out!
I have just started working with the new 808 #16 micro HD cam that was introduced on techmoan.com . For the best info go to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994 . Is there a thread about this same camera on the sphere already? I saw a lesser model discussed here some time ago.

stills
Still3 shows car completely in the bike lane, so yes deliberate.

Attachments

• hitnrun.png
    hitnrun.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 4,218
  • hitnrun3.png
    hitnrun3.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 4,218
I think cameras front and rear would be a good investment. Just rerecord over the boring rides. Maybe put a sign on your bike "smile, you're on camera".

Way too much reckless driving happens and these criminals get away with it. We need to change that.

Back