Forum section: "Materials, techniques, processes and tools"?

Miles

100 TW
How much interest is there in the possibility of a sub-forum for "Materials, techniques, processes and tools"?

It could cover:
Material usage, specifications etc.
Machine & hand tools.
Machining techniques.
Casting.
Moulding.
Welding.
Soldering.
Bonding.
Fasteners.
Electrical connections.
Working with composites.
CAD.
CAM.
3D printing.
?
?
?

I know there are lots of other forums that cover these areas but it would be great to have somewhere that was specific to our needs and used examples that were relevant to us.

Miles said:
How much interest is there in the possibility of a sub-forum for "Materials, techniques, processes and tools"?

It could cover:
Material usage, specifications etc.
Machine & hand tools.
Machining techniques.
Casting.
Moulding.
Welding.
Soldering.
Bonding.
Fasteners.
Working with composites.
CAD.
CAM.
3D printing.
?
?
?
I can definitely learn a lot from it.

I like it.
It would be a great way to de-mistify some of the things we may not have a full grasp of.
Everyone would benifit from exposure to some (to them ) alternative stragities for acomplishing some project.
it would also serve far more than just e-bike interests.
count me IN.

It would be a bit tricky to make it different from technical reference and good links-wikis. Personally, as I've a lot to learn, it'd be helpful. I've stumbled into certain techniques only cursory mentioned on page 20 of a 50 page thread, which would be awesome for people to expand into a materials/techniques/processes section.

However, maybe this should simply be a push to make more of these threads in the technical reference subfora

Yes, when a clever technique, or some such, is disclosed in a build thread, a more detailed exposition and discussion might take place in the Materials, techniques, processes & tools forum. It would then be easier to access. Newcomers could browse through to get ideas and learn.

there are man sites where "experts" try to dazzle each other with tech jargon...suggestions and tips on how to do things the easier ,more practical way would be welcome by many members... a place to get simplified explanations of technical procedures and constructions...there certainly is a very wide range of experitse on ES...lets tap it... i personaly would like to know how to build a nuke reactor...just a small one for the back of my trike :mrgreen:

Well, let's see. The prevailing theory is you only need to master ONE of the big four, (Materials, Skills, Processes, Tools) to succeed. That you can semichange careers thinking that you already understand all four only to find that the four are different in the new field, yet only need to seriously focus on adapting to one of them first.

My feeling is this entire communiy already IS Materials, Techniques/SKILLS, Processes (Also a technique) and Tools. Perhaps you feel something is being missed. Casting/Molding merely pops up from time to time, but since not much is said I don't see why it would have it's own group. Electronics is spread all over, perhaps that's best to let people focus on just the part of it their interested in for that activity. (Even within the electric bike, it varies quite a bit.) Some people have some serious shops and experience they bring to certain subforums, others gravitate to where the less skilled are usng handtools.

I'd say it really is working the way it is. For the new idea to work you have to take something from the others to group together in one place. I think they've separated themselves for a reason. Just a thought.

cadillac-world-thorium-fuel-concept-1-668x350.jpg

Fantastic idea Miles!

Include a section on connector styles. I've got a killer rig to accurately test down to uOhm's right now. (yes, 1ohm/1,000,000)

Dauntless said:
Perhaps you feel something is being missed. Casting/Molding merely pops up from time to time, but since not much is said I don't see why it would have it's own group.
The idea is to have one extra forum for general technology - all the items in the list... This would help to keep techniques from getting lost in vehicle specific forums.

Hi,

Miles said:
Yes, when a clever technique, or some such, is disclosed in a build thread, a more detailed exposition and discussion might take place in the Materials, techniques, processes & tools forum. It would then be easier to access.
Excellent idea.

BTW how do you plan to restrict it to "clever techniques" :p :lol:?

Great idea for a section. In many ways (speaking as a noob myself), it is the skills and knowledge in such a section that would allow you to take a build to anywhere interesting and satisfying. I think I would learn a lot from such a section. I tend to do everything in the hardest, most inefficient and frustrating way, and then often later I see a way how some guy took the elevator. Essential basics like fabbing torque arm solutions would even fit into such a section I would have thought (sorry to raise a subject primarily of interest to the hub-dresser).

This looks like it would be useful! It would be really cool to have a section that covers the procceses that people have used to do things like oil cooling hub motors, attaching hall sensors to outrunners, modifying controllers, etc

I like it alot, lots of secrets hidden in build threads that would be best displayed where people can see it.

But who would be responsible for moving those secrets to the right forum once they are revealed.

I personally think if we are going to add a new sub forum, one for trouble shooting/ help needed threads would serve a better purpose. As it is now it's a bit confusing where to post if your bike isn't functioning properly. I mean dose it go in the general bike forum cause its an e-bike, or does it go in the technical forum cause the answer to your problem in a technical one, or does it go in the battery forum because it might be battery related. Having one set place for problems would make the whole process a lot more stream lined.

Drunkskunk said:
I've woundered if we don't also need a Basic Electronics section, and a Basic trouble shooting guide.

Many of the people who come here don't know V/R=I or that I*V=W. And many don't know how to do basic troubleshooting.
Those don't need forums for them, they need Wiki sections and articles. Feel free to write or edit them, even just a teeny tiny starting bit is still a start. ;)
http://endless-sphere.com/w

Pure said:
But who would be responsible for moving those secrets to the right forum once they are revealed.

I personally think if we are going to add a new sub forum, one for trouble shooting/ help needed threads would serve a better purpose. As it is now it's a bit confusing where to post if your bike isn't functioning properly. I mean dose it go in the general bike forum cause its an e-bike, or does it go in the technical forum cause the answer to your problem in a technical one, or does it go in the battery forum because it might be battery related. Having one set place for problems would make the whole process a lot more stream lined.
The OP, perhaps after prompting. Also, anyone could post a link with an amplification or request.

The question of where to post is sometimes tricky. It depends a bit on the depth of the problem. If you wanted to ask "which is the best hub motor for X?" you'd ask it on Ebikes General Discussion. If you want to ask "why is my hub motor making a noise?", you'd ask it on Ebikes Technical. If you wanted to ask about or detail a modification with theoretical considerations you might post in the Motor Technology section.

MitchJi said:
Hi,

Miles said:
Yes, when a clever technique, or some such, is disclosed in a build thread, a more detailed exposition and discussion might take place in the Materials, techniques, processes & tools forum. It would then be easier to access.
Excellent idea.

BTW how do you plan to restrict it to "clever techniques" :p :lol:?

Well, clever is in the eye of the beholder, eh? My question is how do you PREVENT it from being restricted to someone's idea of clever? People separating themselves here has worked pretty well, you start doing the separating that probably won't be popular.

Miles said:
It depends a bit on the depth of the problem. If you wanted to ask "which is the best hub motor for X?" you'd ask it on Ebikes General Discussion. If you want to ask "why is my hub motor making a noise?", you'd ask it on Ebikes Technical. If you wanted to ask about or detail a modification with theoretical considerations you might post in the Motor Technology section.
And it should say that way.

Back