Crystalyte Racer hi-voltage controller?

If you mean the Phoenix Racer, thats one vendor's rename of the Crystalyte 5303. you'll find better search results calling it the 5303. If you meant a Phoenix II Racer, then its really a crystalyte HS3540 (the numbers that vendor uses mean something totally different)

I'd recommend Lynn's controller from here on the forum. you can find him in the for sale section.

Ya, I have the Phoenix Racer 5303 that is the 72v. I was wndering if there is an aftermarket controller to handles more voltage for this Racer. Anyone know of any that handles up to possible 120v? Lyen said that his controller does not work on the 5303. He said his controller is a low torque contoller.

5303 does have a bit of a rep as a controller killer. Might ask some of the other modders that occasionally sell one of thier custom jobs. Farfle, or Zombies come to mind. Look em up in for sale, both new and used.

I have a Phoenix Racer 5303 hub motor with a 72v conroller. Want to run 103.6 volts but need a controller that will handle the 118 peak volts. Anyone have a modified controller that will work with this application?

Thanks,
Jason

(moderator edit: merged your newer duplicate thread with your original one. Please don't start multiple threads for the same question.)

Running an extremely small wheel size? A 5303 should be able to achieve all the power it's able to handle at sub 100v in a reasonable sized wheel IMHO.

Iv had great luck with kelly controllers

http://kellycontroller.com/kbl7215124-72v150abldc-controllerwith-regen-p-57.html $339
I love this controller.
I have mine set to 60% battery current, and i often see a 7/8kw draw.. and im doing it on my magic pie.

it has good features, variable regen with a pot or hall effect throttle
18 to 120 volts max

This controller never heats up.. once when i wired the phase wires wrong i felt some heat, but since never never while im riding to i feel ANY heat coming from the controller.
Just a shit load coming from my magic pie

settings of kbl.... but mine shows up to 120 volts in the voltage range section
Also mine will allow you to change to 100% battery current

Attachments

• KBL1.PNG
    KBL1.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,646
  • KBL2.PNG
    KBL2.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 1,646
  • KBL3.PNG
    KBL3.PNG
    29 KB · Views: 1,646
  • KBL4.PNG
    KBL4.PNG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,646
  • KBL5.PNG
    KBL5.PNG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,646
Second on considering Lyen. I have a 9 Fet from him, and very satisfied with his work and customer support.

But LFP is right. Generally sub 100v you can run 4110 fets, and 100-150v you'll probably be running 4115 fets. The 4110 are much sweeter for high currents, as a consequence you need a many-fet 4115 controller.

Do you have a super low kv motor? I can't remember exactly which is the 5303.

Is it too late to redesign for a ~80-99v system?

I have the phenoix racer 5303 w/72 volt controller. This hub motor is the most powerful hub motor made. It was discontinued last year when they came out withe the second generation hub motors. The Racer produced 2880 watts at 72 volts. I'll look into the kelly controller. I already have an e-bike with a lyen controller and Im happy with, but his controllers work best with low torque motors. The Racer us a high torque motor. I might get two 51.8 lithium batteries for 103.6 total volts, which should b enough.

Oh, the phoenix racer? That might actually be what I was looking at a while ago (when I cracked it open, it was ALL rusted). That's already a fast wound motor, nah? I think they called the slow-wind version the "phoenix brute".

Your saying it produces 2880watts at 72 volts is not quite right. It delivers that much only because you're running a 40 amp controller. Amps*Volts = watts. If you modify your controller to supply more current, you will have a higher power motor, even at 72volts.

I'm assuming by 51.8v, you're talking about 16s LiFePO4. Assuming you're running right now 24s LiFePO4, your max speed will be ~%30 more than what you're currently riding. That can be a problem, if you never intend on going that fast (it will likely be inefficient.) To be clear, increasing your voltage will increase the max speed which your bike wants to go at full throttle.

I'm pretty sure the crystalyte 40amp 72v controllers are capable of being modified to run higher amperage. I assume a shunt mod would be one easy method to jump up to 52amps, which would offer you quite a similar power increase.I think methods has a thread somewhere here detailing how to bring those up in power. be careful of hitting the thermal limits of your motor, however, if you're dealing with big hills. Don't want to burst your bubble that the cromotor hubzilla is a more powerful hub motor, because you are indeed talking about a rather powerful motor.

Lyen has given me great support whenever requested/required.
I just.... and I mean just.... plugged in my LYEN 18Fet 4115.
What a nice unit.

Many are please here with Lyen. :)

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

Dude, you're reposting. That's not cool

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40559

cooljaysquat said:
hub motor is the most powerful hub motor made.
No, it isn't. The Crystalyte makees the 540X series, that is even more powerfull, so its not even the brand's biggest motor. and there are plenty of more powerfull motors out there

cooljaysquat said:
The Racer us a high torque motor.
Not really, No. A 5303 is a higher speed wind. But the oppisite isn't a torque wind, its a low speed wind.

cooljaysquat said:
I might get two 51.8 lithium batteries for 103.6 total volts, which should b enough.

Enough for what? While the Kelly is the answer for that voltage and motor combo, there seem to be some holes here. 51.8 is a LiFePO4 pack, and since you said it the way you did, I imagine its something you're buying, not you're building a pack. That leads me to believe you're going to be limited by your BMS to 30-40 amps depending on where you get the battery from. that gives you ~3/4000 watts of power. Thats not enough wattage for the speed the motor can hit at 103 volts, meaning you're going to burn something up. Unless you're doing a 20" wheel.

I have nice electric bike the ew-400 http://high5scooters.com/productinfo/ew400.htm which is 36v. I bought 24 FET 4115 MOSFET 84-132V Freeway Speed Controller from Lyen. I bought a 51.8v lithium battery from http://www.batteryspace.com/highpowerpolymerli-ionbattery518v10ah518wh40adrainrate.aspx
My cycle analyst reads it is putting out 100v. I have the 36v in series with that 51.8 lithium battery, and I thought why don't I build a super bike on a 700c rim bike and enter the most powerful bike forum. I seen a posting on the most pwerful e-bike http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40486&hilit=fastest+e+bike
I thought since I have the the race hub motor I could go crazy and build a sick bike. I am building a 700c bike to be my super bike. Thanks for all the good tips and ideas.

Back