gas price thread

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
truckerzero
100 W
100 W

gas price thread

Post by truckerzero » Jun 02, 2008 2:54 am

since most of us(not all)have to drive our evil ice lets post our local prices for the cheapest grade as of today it was 3.88 a gallon(about 4 liters) next jump will probably put it over 4 bucks a gallon highway robbery(pun intended) :lol:
ford explorer 12 mpg
pontiac sunfire 30 mpg
883 harley sportster 55 mpg
raze rc nitro buggy 196 mpg on 5% nitro methanol fuel
stryker electric rc plane 3.3 watts per mile@80 mph(too bad i cant ride on that thing)!!!

Mark_A_W
100 kW
100 kW

Re: gas price thread

Post by Mark_A_W » Jun 02, 2008 3:52 am

We pay 1.6x times that.

The English even more, and the French pay about 2.6x what you pay.

If you bitch and moan about the US petrol prices I will come over and slap you in the back of the head!

You do understand why it's going up don't you? It's not going down again (well, little ups and downs) EVER, and it will go through the roof over the next few years/decade.
Under construction: Giant DH Team, MAC Shanghai, Infineon 18 FET controller, 64v Headway battery. LINK!!

Retired: Kona Dawg Dually + Bomber Triple Clamp forks with Nine Continents front hub motor, 48v 10Ah Headway LiFePO4 Pack + 12v 10Ah Headway LiFePO4 booster pack (nominal 64v).

Powered by the sun :)

Dead: Jamis Dakar frame, Mongoose Pro Downhill frame, cooked Lipo booster pack....and various other bits and pieces...

Ben
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Ben » Jun 02, 2008 4:04 am

Easy Mark.

There's always someone who will pay less than you, unless of course, you live in Venezuela.

When I was in Saudi Arabia, petrol cost less than water and it's probably much the same now.

Mark_A_W
100 kW
100 kW

Post by Mark_A_W » Jun 02, 2008 4:15 am

Just putting things in perspective - the US has the cheapest petrol I'm away of in the developed world, excluding some OPEC nations, etc.

The Venezuelan situation is surreal. It costs their government billions. It will be the downfall of their economy..
Under construction: Giant DH Team, MAC Shanghai, Infineon 18 FET controller, 64v Headway battery. LINK!!

Retired: Kona Dawg Dually + Bomber Triple Clamp forks with Nine Continents front hub motor, 48v 10Ah Headway LiFePO4 Pack + 12v 10Ah Headway LiFePO4 booster pack (nominal 64v).

Powered by the sun :)

Dead: Jamis Dakar frame, Mongoose Pro Downhill frame, cooked Lipo booster pack....and various other bits and pieces...

paultrafalgar
10 kW
10 kW

Post by paultrafalgar » Jun 02, 2008 5:31 am

Just been past a petrol/gas station in my local town. 131 pence per litre. Ebike hire might be a good business proposition? We need a windfall tax on the oil companies which is applied to wind farm or LiFePO4 subsidy :D
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? Albert Einstein
A paranoid is someone who has SOME idea of what's going on. Allen Ginsberg(?)
If the greatest pleasure is giving, be selfish - give pleasure.

stew007
10 W
10 W

Post by stew007 » Jun 02, 2008 5:55 am

Here in my village in the Scottish Islands, it's £1.40 per litre! thats $2.80! per litre.
18s LiPo 10ah 100 amps
35a 72v controller
CA 2.0
33.4mph avg max speed

HAL9000v2.0
100 kW
100 kW

Post by HAL9000v2.0 » Jun 02, 2008 7:39 am

In Croatia diesel got up 2% last week. But LPG, metane and propane have same price last 12 years and it want go up soon. Some 25% cars have dual fuel system and few cars run on metane. (Some Fiat Multipla comes standard with metane equipment)
Attachments
fuel prices 2.6.2008.jpg
fuel prices 2.6.2008.jpg (25.67 KiB) Viewed 4541 times

fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Post by fechter » Jun 02, 2008 9:07 am

truckerzero wrote:since most of us(not all)have to drive our evil ice lets post our local prices for the cheapest grade as of today it was 3.88 a gallon(about 4 liters) next jump will probably put it over 4 bucks a gallon highway robbery(pun intended) :lol:
It's way over that here. The cheapest place within 20 miles is $4.15 for reg. Most places are around $4.25. Diesel is $5.25.

This picture is from a week ago:
Gas Price 5-23-08.jpg
Gas Price 5-23-08.jpg (39.23 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Jun 02, 2008 9:11 am

HAL9000v2.0 wrote:In Croatia diesel got up 2% last week. But LPG, metane and propane have same price last 12 years and it want go up soon. Some 25% cars have dual fuel system and few cars run on metane. (Some Fiat Multipla comes standard with metane equipment)
In the US, CNG jumped a couple of years ago. It was a big dissapointment to the Honda CNG owners. :evil:
Have a Nice Day,

TD

FYI: Adding pictures?

Bored?... take a crack at the unanswered posts

Please post your Watts-at-speed in the survey.

Dr. Shock
100 W
100 W

Post by Dr. Shock » Jun 02, 2008 9:46 am

paultrafalgar wrote: We need a windfall tax on the oil companies which is applied to wind farm or LiFePO4 subsidy :D
Last I heard, all the big oil companies are publicly traded, so all anyone has to do to participate in their profits is buy some stock.

That's what most pension plans have done, so taxing oil companies for windfall profits is taxing old people's income.

Not that I'm agin' government promotion of alternative energy, I'm for it big time, but it probably makes more sense to let society bear that burden evenly.

TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Jun 02, 2008 10:21 am

Dr. Shock wrote: Last I heard, all the big oil companies are publicly traded, so all anyone has to do to participate in their profits is buy some stock.
I'm not sure that's entirely valid:

New investors will not see ROI for decades, while oil moguls reap huge salaries and dividends. The capital can be used for short term gains within the corporate structure and the shareholder benefit will be long in coming.

That is damn-near a ponzi.

:evil:
Have a Nice Day,

TD

docnjoj
100 GW
100 GW

Post by docnjoj » Jun 02, 2008 10:28 am

Somehow "windfall profits" have a habit of landing in corporate execs pockets. If they are taxed, at least some of the money could find itself in alternative energy plans. It was done successfully in the 70s during the oil "crisis"!!!
otherDoc
E-bike stable at our house

Steintrike Mad Max full suspension trike rear Cute 100H going on: Whoops, Cute wheel broke but I fixed it.
Sun USX delta trike EbikeKit small geared front wheel sort of front suspension for wife

Agniusm/A123 AMP 20 36 volts on the Steini has been taken off.
2x16000 Multisport from HK now gone as they died after 2 years
New Luna 10S bottle battery 13.6AH now on mine
Relatively New 10S4Px2 for wife's bike giving 20ah @ 40 volts home made Panasonic from Tumich. BMS's rule.

Miles
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Miles » Jun 02, 2008 10:36 am

stew007 wrote:Here in my village in the Scottish Islands, it's £1.40 per litre! thats $2.80! per litre.
That's over $11 per gallon........

Dr. Shock
100 W
100 W

Post by Dr. Shock » Jun 02, 2008 11:16 am

Shell's stock price is up almost 40% from 2 years ago ($66 to $83), Chevron's almost 80% ($61 to $99). S&P 500 is up about 20% over the same period. While I'm not saying upper management isn't wildly overcompensated, shareholders are clearly participating in the profits these companies are making.

TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Jun 02, 2008 11:50 am

Dr. Shock wrote:Shell's stock price is up almost 40% from 2 years ago ($66 to $83), Chevron's almost 80% ($61 to $99). S&P 500 is up about 20% over the same period. While I'm not saying upper management isn't wildly overcompensated, shareholders are clearly participating in the profits these companies are making.
Only if they sell.
Have a Nice Day,

TD

Jeremy Harris
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Jeremy Harris » Jun 02, 2008 11:54 am

Although a large part of the fuel price here in the UK is made up from tax and fuel duty, I can't help but wonder quite how the oil companies continue to make record profits year on year despite the increased costs. I can only assume that they take the opportunity to rip us off with the excuse that it's the crude oil price that's responsible for all of the price hike.

Currently diesel is around £1.30 per litre here in my bit of Southern England (about $10.40 per US gallon, or £5.90 per Imperial gallon). Petrol is around 7 or 8% cheaper I think.

We've not had fuel as cheap as the equivalent of $5 per US gallon here for years, in fact I was probably earning less than half what I am now when fuel in the UK was that incredibly cheap, as it was probably ten or fifteen years ago................

Jeremy
Please ask questions on the forum, rather than by PM, as it helps others and you'll get a better range of answers.

docnjoj
100 GW
100 GW

Post by docnjoj » Jun 02, 2008 1:45 pm

While its true that gas is cheeper here (US) than Europe, since our taxation has been so low, our infrastructure is suffering! We cant afford to keep[ up roads, bridges, schools etc. There is always a price for whatever system U live under!
otherDoc
edit: And of course the oil companies rip us off!

Steintrike Mad Max full suspension trike rear Cute 100H going on: Whoops, Cute wheel broke but I fixed it.
Sun USX delta trike EbikeKit small geared front wheel sort of front suspension for wife

Relatively New 10S4Px2 for wife's bike giving 20ah @ 40 volts home made Panasonic from Tumich. BMS's rule.

mcstar
100 W
100 W

Post by mcstar » Jun 02, 2008 2:09 pm

Only if they sell.
TylerDun, people sell everyday. If they didn't, the prices would be even higher. Check the trading volume on any oil stock. People are constantly taking profits everyday. The shallowness of this statement reminds me of a story about the Roman leader Nero. When he started demanding they increase the taxes on the wealthy citizens to support his ridiculus projects, one of his advisors recomended they tax the estates of people when they die. The rational was that since they were dead, they couldn't rise up a revolution. (like his wealthy aristocrats were currently planning). Nero's response was "I don't have time to wait for people to die, I need my money NOW!" Silly little Nero never stopped think that his kingdom was filled with people that died each day. Not everyone is "your age" or has your financial situation. Don't worry TylerDun, it's a common mistake to misjudge the world by assuming everyone is just like you. Eventually you'll grow out of that.
bl-36 Wilderness Energy @ 48v
BATTERY Upgraded to 48V 10AH BMI pack
range :
Total Ebike Miles since 1/1/2008 : 2280
Total Fuel Savings due to e-Bike usage : $500
EBike Cost per mile (including amortized battery cost) : $0.0061
My Pickup Cost Per mile (fuel only) : $0.2593 (the truck is 42.4 times more expensive)
Drive 1000's of users to your site each month. Very low cost
http://www.revisitors.com/cgi-bin/ls/c1.cgi/mcstar_ad

truckerzero
100 W
100 W

Post by truckerzero » Jun 02, 2008 3:17 pm

ohh im not complaining about gas prices im using them to motivate me too seek alternatives so i can flip off the gas stations as i drive by on a ev and that will make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside
i feel for you that pay much more for gas and if i lived over there id probably gone electric a long time ago
ford explorer 12 mpg
pontiac sunfire 30 mpg
883 harley sportster 55 mpg
raze rc nitro buggy 196 mpg on 5% nitro methanol fuel
stryker electric rc plane 3.3 watts per mile@80 mph(too bad i cant ride on that thing)!!!

TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Jun 02, 2008 3:25 pm

mcstar wrote:
Only if they sell.
TylerDun, people sell everyday. If they didn't, the prices would be even higher. Check the trading volume on any oil stock. People are constantly taking profits everyday.
Uh... your point was what, again?

That you can enjoy profits without selling?

And it's D U R D E N, nukeboy... but you can call me 'sir'.

:lol:
Have a Nice Day,

TD

docnjoj
100 GW
100 GW

Post by docnjoj » Jun 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Ya know, Mcstar, calling a statement "shallow" could be construed as a personal attack! Perhaps just elucidation (from your point of view, of course) might be more productive. Just a thought!
otherDoc

TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Jun 02, 2008 4:23 pm

docnjoj wrote:Perhaps just elucidation (from your point of view, of course) might be more productive.
I might use smaller words, Doc. Just a suggestion...

:mrgreen:
Have a Nice Day,

TD

docnjoj
100 GW
100 GW

Post by docnjoj » Jun 02, 2008 4:34 pm

Sorry! I sometimes get stuck back in "teacherese".
otherDoc

Dr. Shock
100 W
100 W

Post by Dr. Shock » Jun 02, 2008 4:49 pm

McStar, ease up a little on brother TD, he's a thinker, and we're keeping this all on the level of great thoughts--

TD, I see it as an advantage that an investor can take his profit when he wants or needs to. He can sell off enough shares to recoup his profit and retain shares representing his original investment. The capital gains treatment of securities as well as the favorable tax rates on dividends mean that a before tax dollar earned on a stock investment is worth more after tax than a before tax dollar earned as interest.

I think the compensation for top management has gotten way out of hand, and shareholders should put a stop to it, not just in the oil sector, but throughout the market. Nevertheless, oil stocks have been a really good investment for shareholders ovr the last few years, and they probably will continue to be so. Rather than protest that the oil companies are making too much money, why not just buy some of their stock? I suspect having a piece of the pie would change one's attitude about it. I certainly hope my pension administrator's got some oil stocks in the mix.

TylerDurden
100 GW
100 GW

Post by TylerDurden » Jun 02, 2008 5:25 pm

Dr. Shock wrote:Rather than protest that the oil companies are making too much money, why not just buy some of their stock? I suspect having a piece of the pie would change one's attitude about it. I certainly hope my pension administrator's got some oil stocks in the mix.
By contrast, FirstSolar is up from 67.22 to 317.00 in the past year.

Invest wisely.
Have a Nice Day,

TD