PICKUP TRUCK YAHOOS

kriskros

10 kW
i have had several problems with pickup truck drivers when riding the trike in the city[i use it with a trailer for shopping]... not the plain jane working vehicles,but the real decked out jo9bs...the ones with all the chrome goodies,roof rack light bars , raised bodies ect..ive been squeezed to the curb twice..another one, the passenger shouted,get a truck jerk,,another one came up close behind me and blasted an air horn and so on YYUUUKKKK :x

get the plate, look up address , go at night , slash tire, just one every time.,........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For some reason truck drivers have some sense that they have special rights on the road. It's always a truck that blasts by within a foot of me at high speed, or honks at me or yells "get off the road!".

Just today I was making a hill climb on the three lane 35mph street that everyone seems to think is a 50mph because it connects to the on ramp. A pickup with the "direct tv" logo on the side blasts by me way too close and way too fast around the crest of the hill. Sure enough he is down at the bottom waiting at the light when I get there. So I do what I always do now when I catch up with a cager that endangers my life and pound on his door with the flat of my hand as I roll by. Makes a big bang but does no damage. I hear him yell "f k you" and I respond with the middle digit and keep riding. Traffic is a mess crossing the Charles river so I made it a few blocks before he pulls along side me saying "you think you're pretty smart, why are you on the f cking highway?!?" And starts jerking his truck around to scare me, but I don't scare so easy and kick his door. He tries to throw his McDonalds soda cup at me but my ninja like reflexes deflect it with enough ease that I have plenty of time to lobb a nice lugey through his open window before he speeds off.

Did I react poorly? Maybe. But I'm getting real sick of this sh!t. I feel like no one is going to learn untill we start taking mirrors off and people realize that when you endanger the life of a cyclist there WILL be consequences.

Just don't react with vengeance too soon. It will be obvious. I've had thoughts of slashing tires at night like some ninja on the prowl, but you know what, they'd know in a heartbeat who it was. Ignorance is bliss. Just keep riding. They will eventually grow up and realize that you are as much a part of the road as they are. 8)

Or cut their tires and let us know. I'm sure a lot here would sympathize with you. :twisted:

No, I don't think the guy that thinks Cambridge St. Is a highway is going to connect the dots. It's like training a dog, if you yell at them for something they did hours ago they have no idea what the fuss is about.

hydro-one said:
get the plate, look up address , go at night , slash tire, just one every time.,........ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Actually two is best when they have only one spare :mrgreen: ...alternatively slash the spare and one of the four others teehehe

KiM

Yeah , actually the best way to deal with those situations-- is to avoid traffic if possible. I know its very dangerous thing to start up a road rage incident when you are on a bike. you could easily be killed by some douche. 100v isnt enough , just stay off the main roads, main roads are for sheep, let them choke on thier excrement.

in the boston metro there is no avoiding the main roads, especially if you are trying to get from allston to cambridge. there are two bridges and no connecting streets between the two.

welcome to the jungle baby, wake up! time to die.

Weld a couple bent nails together, with all ends sharpened, tie a string to them, and casually drop one in front of a tire, as you pull next to them at a light. When they take off, let the string break as you watch the tire deflate as they cross through the intersection. No one gets hurt that way. You just go another direction for a short ways.

Today must be National Douche Day. Gestalt, I had some ass driving a van in Charlestown (Rutherford Ave) cut me off so close he was in arms reach. When that happens I always do the same thing - reach out and bang the vehicle. Now any human being with concern for fellow man, having just willfully pulled over into a lane occupied by a cyclist would - upon hearing a noise - maybe be concerned. No, this two legged turd swerved toward me as if to say "I'm stupid, and a bully!" Suspecting that would happen I was already braking hard - swerved left - and gave the throttle a nice twist. Passing him on the left I was tempted to smack the window or mirror - but at the lat second decided to take the high road. Maybe it's enough he knows I can catch him, maybe it's enough to me I left the prick in the dust.

Honestly in the USA we need much more courtesy on the road. Starting with the motorists.

Too much celebration of the red neck attitude these days. They'll always exist, but do they have to glorify them on TV?

People act like assholes because they can get away with it.

Figure out a way to not let that happen.

There are some examples above. :D

my biggest pet peeve anymore is turn signals.. it's like NO ONE uses them.

I had an ambulance last week turn left in front of me without even using their turn signal.

It's like were so lazy you cba to flip that switch to show a little common courtesy or safety.

Regarding trucks out on a country road last summer I had some asshole with plenty of road pull up beside
me slow down a bit and gun his diesel truck so you know what happened..

At that point I just felt bad for the dude.. id hate to be a jerk at this point in my life.

i think you can get a pretty good idea of what you are dealing with by the appearance of the truck....jacked up body, oversize tires, BIG engine,lots of chrome ect..genuine redneck... MEN drive trucks... even if its only used for grocery shopping :lol:

full-throttle said:
MattyCiii said:
Today must be National Douche Day
International!
Nearly got hit by a courier in a UTE last night. Pulled out without checking his mirrors :roll:
In all seriousness, I've had more trouble in the Boston area with professional drivers - cabbies, bus drivers, delivery trucks - and tradesmen who likely drive a lot all day: plubmers, carpenters, etc. - than I have with recreational yahoos. The up side to that is these pricks often have their name and phone number right on the vehicle: "Jimmy D's Plumbing, call 1-800-doooche"

Like many of us, I don't drive much. I still have the skills tho.

So the other day I'm driving, I got on the highway and did the signal/gas/swerve move. It's rush hour Boston inbound drive time and I know the rules. They don't call us MassHoles for nothing. Actually this merge-move was mild, more like ballet than quarterback blitz. But there it is - the flashing lights and honking horn. The car I "cut off" moves left and is soon next to me.

Now I'm not a big guy - 5'10", 180lb soaking wet, and white collar/chicken schlitz through and through. But on the road I stand my ground. So I roll my window down, as did the white OldsmoBuick that pulled up to me. I got off one round: "Waaaaaaah, you don't like driving? Take a fu(kin' bus!" to their "...gonna shove that <something something something>". Two no-neck meatheads wearing sunglasses on a December morning. I get it - roid-raging pricks.

Like I said, I still have the skills. They made a nice gap in front of them slowing to bitch at me, so I gunned it and slipped in front of them. They tried to get alongside (but highway 93 South into Boston narrows to 2 lanes, and I leveraged a 50mph tractor-trailer to box them in). The road widens suddenly to 5 lanes, but anyone who knows the morning drive dynamics knows what lanes to be in/when to keep moving. Then I ditched their a$$es when the highway split in the tunnel.

Adrenaline pumping. Pissed off I replayed the events in my mind - what did I do wrong? Did I respond appropriately? What next?

Really - it was a freikin' lane change. These douchebags were ready to mix it up - right there on the pavement. And I was in a car. An admittedly small car. But if one of them got out - I could easily run over and kill them. Or lock the doors and hunker down against the worst a fist can do.

Most of us spend our time on bikes. The fact that such losers will pick a fight against a motorist for the smallest of infractions - a 15mph, slow-speed, signaled lane change - indicates just what small brains we are dealing with.

Did I mention that neither of them had a neck?

ohzee said:
At that point I just felt bad for the dude.. id hate to be a jerk at this point in my life.

+1 I couldn't agree more. Its tempting though, in the heat of the moment, to engage. But we've all had it and it will continue. They're everywhere. Perhaps the real wake-up call they all need is $8 gas so that they might look at us differently after dumping $80 in their gas tank ...

hydro-one said:

You don't have to slash the tires,

just loosen up the valve stem. Only enough to cause the tire to go flat over a day or two. This works great for a few reasons. If you get caught, no harm, no foul. Then, they usually don't figure it out till they have come out to that same flat tire for the second or third time. It's almost like slashing their tire(s) multiple times, without even being there.

Back