What are you doing for amageddon?

dogman dan

1 PW
Ha Ha what a joke! We just add another year to the mayan calendar, or start over with year 1. But I did do one thing, I backed up some files in my computers.

Pictures taken this year, and a new copy of my I tunes music files. I've always tried to do this at least once a year, but did it early this year in case of a hacker with a sense of humor kills my computer today.

Got a worker that started his holiday time off a day early, said he didn't want to spend his last day on earth working. I told him it sounded like a good reason to start partying a day early to me.

Nice line up of end of the world films on the Turner movie channel today. "The last man on earth" is a hoot. Remade later as "The Omega Man". In the first one Vincent Price is the vampire slayer.

I'm celebrating the fact that since today is the shortest day of the year (in the Northern hemisphere at least), every day for the next 6 months will have more daylight when riding. :D

You guys better get prepared... they are coming for us! One of their bodies were unearthed in Mexico recently... :pancake:
skull.jpg

12/21/2112 - the day Mayan calendars become as obsolete as pre-Y2K software. Until today they had a practical application, now they are just round stones.

:lol:

About to do some 2 miles of walking and 15 by bus and 20 by train to LAX, where I might be able to get in the air before the end. If all blows up, think of the view: I could get PICTURES. If I make it to Texas, maybe there'll be time for dinner with relatives.

Meanwhile, Ma had it all figured out that her ranch would survive the end of the world, this being only the latest of many dates over the last 14 years. BUT-- She's in the hospital. Maybe home for Christmas, but she'll miss the end of the world. Not sure if the end of the world protection extends to that little town.

Meanwhile a woman has been told she's getting the $7.4 million in gold her reclusive cousin had in his garage when he died. Might not get her hands on it today, darn it. Ruins everything.

6-29039-14-1355860242.jpg

bigmoose said:
You guys better get prepared... they are coming for us! One of their bodies were unearthed in Mexico recently... :pancake:

bigmoose, those sloped heads remind me of another story...

[youtube]QIIspki1f0w[/youtube]

A better British version of the trailer here.

LMOA, KF
PS - Glad to see you all survived to Year-1, or is this The Afterlife? :wink:

Partied my ass off. Some friends used it as an excuse to throw a party.

Seems pretty funny, several thousand years ago someone made a calender that extended thousands of years into their future. And it finally ran out. So a few nut jobs decided that means the world must be going to end. I love humans, they're hysterical.

My Bet is on Giant Space Echidnas. Its the Giant Space Echidnas that will end us all. Sure, they'll say they only plan to enslave us, but they realty just want to eat our spleens.

Keep watching the skies. Sometime today the Giant Space Echidnas will be landing.

Oddly enough, a freind of mines computer did crash today. She's getting a blue screen, so maybe not a complete hard drive melt down.

Coincidence? or Chupacabra hackers from mexico? Who knows?

Meanwhile, just got back from work and the rest of the afternoons armageddon line up on Turner movie channel looks good. The Harry Belafonte one on at 6 pm eastern is good. I just love bad movies, the one early this mornig with the runaway missle was sooooo funny.

Drunkskunk said:
Keep watching the skies. Sometime today the Giant Space Echidnas will be landing.
Nope, it'll be Elephants.

amberwolf said:
Drunkskunk said:
Nope, it'll be Elephants.

Nope that's BABY Elephants!! :mrgreen: I have read the book about 5 times and it never gets old. 8)

Made a bet with my friend around four years ago about this topic......
I lost
I am going to get some cash to pay him what he is owed. :|
We still got a couple of hours on my side of the world, so lets see what happens

I had to test the v3 CA and some controller repairs on CrazyBike2 anyway, so I rode to an "End of the World"-themed party some friends were having.

7+ mile ride was fun, but the party was loud, smelly, smoky, no one I actually knew had any interest in talking to me as they had better things to do and didn't want my help, and no one else of the perhaps two hundred people there was interesting enough, so I left after a short while and rode back.

No idiots on the road, but a whole buncha police cars with lights flashing all around a Wells Fargo on my way back home thru Metrocenter.

I did get stares as I rode by lots of poeple walking to the party from up to half a mile away because there's little place to park around there, but no one seemed curious enough to say anything to me or ask me anything, even when I was parked and getting off the bike when I arrived, or back on when I left.

Didn't seem like any world-ending was happening today around me, unless I was just oblivious (whcih happens).

I see the world has continued to revolve just fine this morning... imagine that! :mrgreen:

... off to the beverage store for some holiday cheer.

EDIT: I can't believe it! My favorite micro-brew store has been closed by the Mayan calendar episode. I pull up today and there is no one in the parking lot. I walk up and the sign(s) say "Closed Forever" What in the world?~! I am at a loss. How does a "brewski" store go out of business the week before Christmas/New Years? Oh the travesty... :evil: :x :evil:

bigmoose said:

Well we all lived!

Damn, that picture looks very painful. Imagine doing that to a kid. :shock:

bigmoose said:
EDIT: I can't believe it! My favorite micro-brew store has been closed by the Mayan calendar episode. I pull up today and there is no one in the parking lot. I walk up and the sign(s) say "Closed Forever" What in the world?~! I am at a loss. How does a "brewski" store go out of business the week before Christmas/New Years? Oh the travesty... :evil: :x :evil:

There is always DIY and you could probably do it better. Cheers.

Is the Sphere ripe for a zymology thread?

Salty, you sophisticated, educated person that you are! I had to google zymology! I think we could all use a good Zymology thread about now!!

I know my Grandmother was able to make wine in the cellar that would flare when you put a match to it. The literature says it is impossible to ferment to such a level... some say my Aunt Lucy was spiking it with "stronger spirits!" I have been unsuccessful in my Zymology experiments, and my Father's exploded behind the refrigerator... :shock: The skill appears to have been lost among the generations.

bigmoose said:
Salty, you sophisticated, educated person that you are! I had to google zymology! I think we could all use a good Zymology thread about now!!

I know my Grandmother was able to make wine in the cellar that would flare when you put a match to it. The literature says it is impossible to ferment to such a level... some say my Aunt Lucy was spiking it with "stronger spirits!" I have been unsuccessful in my Zymology experiments, and my Father's exploded behind the refrigerator... :shock: The skill appears to have been lost among the generations.

I had a friend (sadly passed away now) who was seriously into fermenting strong wines. I used to sneak samples into work and get it tested for him for ethanol content. Best he got was around 18%, which is way higher than the books say is normal. His technique was to start with a modest sugar content, almost ferment that out, then add syrup and get the fermentation going again. He'd repeat this, in small increments, until he found the point where fermentation would not restart. We suspect that what was happening was that the yeast was gradually evolving with each generation to become more alcohol tolerant, and by taking this process fairly slowly he was giving time for new generations of super-alcohol tolerant yeasts to evolve.

Sadly he was a diabetic who loved alcohol, not a recipe for a long life.

I believe dessert wines can go as high as 18%, but that's about it. I don't know about the yeast evolving, but there are wine yeasts that tolerate a higher percentage than beer yeasts.

I used to do the same thing to make apricot dessert wine. Starting out with just the fruit, I gradually added sugar till it just couldn't go anymore, and then added more till it was just about surypy. At that point, a year or so of settling and aging. Took forever to go clear with so much sugar in it. Then when crytal clear, I made it into brandy with the foritfication method, which is legal in the USA. In simple terms, I added everclear till I had what I called flamable pancake syrup. Then back in the hole in the backyard, for about 5 years of mellowing.

That stuff was good, but such a pita I only made about 25 gallons of it. Plus the apricot tree died. Man, it was realllly smooth by 10 years old.

I can tell people that I am an amateur zymurgist now, thanks for that salty9!

My son was named after my grandfather (Jack), and my wife wanted part of his name to come from her side, and her first name is Dan (she is chinese), so my son's name is Jackson Daniel. When I told her about the potential connection she just asked if it was a good alcohol. 8) I am afraid a zymurgy thread would get me labeled an alcoholic (which I am not).

Back