Hello

e-bikecanada

1 µW
Helo fellow e-bikers Ive been lurking and learning here for a while now...
Thank you all,
what Im wondering about is these new li ion polymer battery found at this link,Does anyone have experience with this product, reviews?Thanks in advance.

Tony

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3140

Tony,
I've been waiting for any user reports on these as well but I'm interested in the 3.7v/8Ah loose cells that this pack is made of. I think that these hi-current lipos are too new and until a fellow e-biker takes the plunge (and risks) on buying or building one of these packs we will not know if theyre suitable for e-bike use. There's also the big risk involved with lipos, the fact that theres been many many reports from the RC forums of lipo packs exploding and flaring up during charging. Some reports have involved major damages to homes and total loss of cars. Dig around in the RC forums and learn about all the safety precautions involved with going lithiums. I'm a veteran when it comes to working with electronics and high voltages but I dont know if I have the patience for dealing with Lithiums (cobalt based). Have you looked into manganese based lithiums (A123 and Emoli cells)? These are a little heavier but are proven to be much safer and easier handling. I'm personally thinking of going emolis for my custom pack, problem is that larger cells are not being offered yet so usually custom packs involves series/paralleling many cells (50-100+) for ebike purposes but thats a piece of cake for Xyster. I still havent ruled out these large lipo cells tho, the pack would just have to be easily removed, have a dedicated safe area and in fireproof container for charging (I have a family and house to watch out for). Man dealing with lead was so much easier.

e-bikecanada said:
Helo fellow e-bikers Ive been lurking and learning here for a while now...
Thank you all,
what Im wondering about is these new li ion polymer battery found at this link,Does anyone have experience with this product, reviews?Thanks in advance.

Tony

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3140

Hi Tony,
there's a thread already going here about these new BS hi-rate cells and packs:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=375

Personally i would opt for the individual cells instead of the packs... test each cell for capacity and ballancing before assembling. Build a bunker to charge them in and buy a good quality charger with external ballancing circuit.

Otherwise..

Pay out the wazoo for a LiFePO4 pack.. 8)

Thanks for all info and advice,I may purchase some batteries from ebikes in Vancouver, the 36 volt triangular products they have would fit nicely within the frame of my bike. I am still leary about anything that needs "special attention" I am a plug and play type guy and want reliability and low weight for my commuter. I also only want one charger, I guess maybe I should just stick with lead and go 18 amphr? As you can see Im still undecided on the power source of my commuter. I also live in Northern Ontario where the climate can be harsh.(ya know what I mean ypedal) I did alot of commuting in -30 below zero the past two winters and never had any problems with the lead. Should I expect problems with the nimh in the cold, Ive read mixed results on that topic. Thanks again for all the solid advice and wisdom here on this board.

Tony

cycling in 30 below :shock: ha ha yes erm NIMH may struggle in those temps as would lipo, erm crikey thats cold!! go with NIMH keep the packs in the house, they should be alright once you get going as they will warm up keep them warm to start with.

good luck

Knoxie

Back