I've seen some interesting user names . . .

FfredDRredD

100 mW
I've seen some interesting user names and wondered how they came about, mine is not really so but i'll start if you want to participate. My wife has a friend that can't remember my real name so i would rattle off a bunch of names and Fred was one on the list, when i would see her out somewhere she would call me Fred. I always liked that tv show about that guy who would hold his hand over his heart and say "coming to see you Elizabeth" , which happens to be my wifey's name. always thought is was kool the way he spelled his name, and since i'm native american i kinda combined the whole thing-FfredDRredD-steve

Installed peedy the badly named parrot on to a shared PC. He wanted a name to greet us with, so we chose friend. The email followed, then as a user name.

I'm just more dog than man. It's why my wife keeps me. But my real nickname has always been Danger Dan.

Back when AOL was relevant (and 14.4kbps modem was fast!) I carpooled with a guy named Bill, last name began with "C", and he was the third man in his family line with that name (Bill C the third). He had an AOL username BillyCiii.

AOL allowed 5 usernames in an account. As a one time joke I created a username MattyCiii and busted his balls for a few minutes on chat. That username went dormant awhile.

Some time later as my main email account was slowly overtaken with spam, I started using mattyciii@aol.com. Then I began to notice that it's unique enough of a name that nobody elsewhere ever uses it, so I started to use it as my log on name here and there, and now it's basically my default username wherever I go.

So my Dad had a way of coming up with nicknames from our names, he'd only call us that when we were little. I was too late to catch most of the family, but he called my sister Lorraine "Rainbow" and my scrawny brother Kenny "Skinny Ben."

So in his southern drawl he'd say "Daawwwwwwwnntless," which when I was so little was just him not saying my name right. My oldest sister was teaching me to read before I started kindergarten, so I'm somewhere between 2nd-4th grades when I'm first getting to read about the only thing standing between the Japanese advance and Midway island was the Dauntless divebombers. Suddenly being called Dauntless wasn't so bad.

I didn't grow up going by that by any means, it remained somewhat embarrassing. Recently I got tired of all the fighting on these messageboards and decided to stop using my first name. Oh, it was a special problem on electric car forums, people would decide I was you know who for no particular reason. (Not everyone likes him.) Without really thinking about it I'd started to register as "Divebomber."

And AOL bought Bebo and used that as an excuse to force a lot of older accounts to sign up with new names. Of course everything is taken, right? Except I kept trying long word combinations that I'd be able to remember, leading to one referencing the Dauntless Divebomber at the battle of Midway. Since then. . . .

So you wonder why, when I was maybe 3, maybe younger, Dad would think of me as 'Dauntless.' Certainly the world conjured up visions of irrepressible heroes such as Orange County, California's own 'Zorro' (You mean you DIDN'T know Zorro was from Orange County?) Not only was I the only out of all these kids that DAD chose the name for, (After his best friend at the time) I also got the kewlest nickname. When I was so small had he already seen something in me? Or did I just learn to jump off the roof by jumping from higher and higher places, etc., because I was acting on Dad calling me that?

About as soon as I got my drivers license, I was driving my ailing father about; one day to the meeting of a club he was once president of. That night was about a sequence of events some two decades ago, since Dad was a past president he was of course speaking. And his old friend, who had moved away so many years before, had flown in for this meeting. They saved him in the crowd and sprung him as Dad started to speak. This was a car club that was a lot like the bike builders on ES, far more time and passion into developing something than was practical. (Boy, was Dad at home THERE.) Almost in tears, Dad started talking about them street rallying together: "He was so DAAWWWWWWWNNTLESS. . . ."

I have been called Kingfish since I was a squirt by my Mom’s Uncle, and then my cousins picked up on it and called me that too. Nearly all of my cousins, aunts, and uncles on that side of the family has some sort of nickname. I fear to list them mainly out of respect for privacy – but they’re all pretty fun.

So – the actual origin of mine took me a few years before I figured it out; I always thought I was called “the Kingfish” cos I was always telling tall tales to get out of trouble – spelled with a capital-T. Nope, it wasn’t until I was almost 18 yro that I came upon the truth of the matter and I was a bit more embarrassed. I mean – how could that uncle read me so well when I was just a little ankle-biting urchin?

Kingfish is the name given to a cousin of Amos n' Andy, an infamous character with long involved schemes that never played out right. First it was an early radio show, then it was on TV in the 50’s. In the 70’s the story and characters were updated and rehashed as Sanford & Son with some role-blending, though the premise of failing to get-rich was the same.

However the real Kingfish in politics was Huey P. Long Jr. – Governor & Senator of Louisiana, assassinated in 1935. Long was seen as a powerful rival to Roosevelt that could have replaced him in the next election. Whilst a senator in Washington, one of Long’s followers called him “The Kingfish” (probably after the song "Every Man a King", originally written and recorded by Long). He later said of himself that “up here in Washington I’m just a little fish, but in Louisiana I’m the Kingfish”. Charismatic, ruthless, probably corrupt… not exactly a positive influence, and neither was the radio character.

Yet one fact remains – I do have my fingers in a lot of pies, riding twelve horses at the same time. Plans within plans – perhaps one day my ship will come in and we can all enjoy a kegger together, on a beach, under the palms… :wink:

And now you know the rest of the story…
Good day! KF

Good thread topic!

Studebaker + E-biker = Studebiker.

In hindsight, I do wish I would have capitalized the "I" instead of the E. I suppose I could ask Ypedal to change it for me, but it's not that big of a deal. Those that take the wrong meaning from it, probably wouldn't get it even if it was the I instead of the E. :wink:

I inherited an interest in Studebakers from my father and before I started riding E-bikes, I was mostly into Studebakers.

Interesting how many of us got our nicks from our Dad. Mine too. Dad started calling me "moose" in my teens. I was 195 lbs and 6 foot even in the eighth grade. I "grew" as I got older :oops: into bigMoose.

I have 2 astrailian sheperds....one is totaly subordinate..."Frisco" is very mild mannered when playing with humans...tug-0-war is a joke with this one....its like holding a ballon. She'll sneek onto the bed in the night so gently we wont wake....i told the wife she settles like dust onto things. Nicknamed "dustbunny"

Her mother on the othe hand is a tank...in motion & attitude. DD (damm dog) doesnt lie down, she colapses in a heap with a thud! While registering for this forum, DD had just plopped down on my feet under the desk.....dustbunny didn't sing for me at that moment, lacking imagination I assumed the moniker "Thud"

If you met me you'd see its fitting. :mrgreen:

Tommy is form of my legal name Thomas.
Only my Aunt Edith could call me "Tommy" in my youth, but now, I embrace it :)

Tommy L sends....
mosh.gif

Well....this is awkward. ;)

But I've had many nicknames over the years. My first, from my dad, was Big Stuff. I don't know why, but he called me that my entire childhood. I was never big. In fact, I was the skinniest kid in school by far. Very small for my age. I didn't really begin to grow until puberty, and that was in ninth and tenth grade. Eventually I hit average. I'm 6 foot and about 190.

Growing up, some kids started to tease me by calling me Michael, Michael Motorcycle. It hurt my feelings because I knew I was being teased, but one day it occured to me (in second grade), that it wasn't a bad nickname at all. That stuck through elementary school, and I didn't mind it.

Middle School was interesting. We had PE in the morning in seventh grade, and most of the boys were a lot bigger than me, and it would have been hard for me to find a kid my age that I could beat up. So I had to be funny to get along with the bigger guys. I was Babe Ruth with the jokes. Now that might seem pretty cool, and it was, but consider this: Babe Ruth still holds the record for career strikeouts. For each of his home runs there are many strikeouts, and I was no different.

So, during PE I'd have to sling a few jokes. When I struck out, most of the older and bigger guys would punch me in the shoulder and say, "Shut up, Fagbanks." I loved that nickname. I thought it was hillarious, and they actually appreciated that I thought it was funny. Some guys called me Fairybanks, and that was pretty funny too.

One kid about my size who wasn't funny (which got him beat up a lot more than me) called me "Fairfag."

I would get offended, and when he laid it on thick I'd say, "I'm not offended by your nickname for me. I'm offended that it's not funny. Fagbanks is funny. Fairybanks is funny. Fairfag just isn't funny. It doesn't even make sense."

Fast forward a few years and I was an amateur surfer trying to get better through competition. I wasn't A-level, but I got pretty good. So one day a magazine photoggrapher met up with the local surfshop owner to arrange a photo session or two and some advertising. A bunch of us paddled out to catch waves and get pics. The guy kept getting my name wrong, and like a coach would call everyone by last names. He called me Fairmont. No matter how many times I corrected him, he'd forget and call me Fairmont. I was about 15. My friends loved it, and they called me that. They still do 30 years later. It also helped that I bought, long ago, a Ford Fairmont. It looked like crap but actually ran great. I got it for $450 after seeing it on the side of the road covered in dirt with a for sale sign. It had a busted tail light, and my girlfriend said, "that's junk. Forget it." But I had a feeling about it, so I popped the hood (yep, outside latch only) and the engine was clean....I mean CLEAN. The odometer read about 80k so I knew it was a great buy. I drove that Fairmont for over two years, and when I went away to college I sold it for 750 bucks.

So, Fairmont is my nickname. I rarely use it as a nickname anymore online because of some altercations here and there. We'll talk about that another day. ;)

I guess my name has nothing to do with a nickname, but more my understanding of how I learn best.

My nickname was and in some circles is Bird...or more specifically Jay Bird. I had a habit of yanking off my diaper as a child and running from one fence to the other until may parents came out to collect me. Our neighbor was an awesome Kentucky lady...she would say hillbilly...but the best woman I have known in my life...and she would say, "there he goes naked as a Jay Bird."

Sancho's horse comes from Don Quixote...Miguel des Cervantes. Essentially an aging man of landed gentry, but smallish means...loses it. He is caught up in a world which he reads about in tales of chivalry...one which he imagines to have existed...and feels that if these values were restored, then greatness would be restored. He goes around the country carried by emotion and his imagination...and sometimes seems to understand that his heroic episodes are foolish insanity...but tragically he doesn't at other times. His "squire" is Sancho Panza...a hefty man, willing to begrudgingly overlook his foolishness at times, but thoroughly grounded in earthy wisdom and skepticism. He is the foil to Quixote's lofty ambitions and imaginings. Quixote speaks of his squire's horse, but in reality it is a work donkey (or ass) named Rucio.

I took this name because it fits. I learn best when I connect deeply with a topic. I imagine possibilities (like Quixote), and imagine that I have some great insight, and I put it all out there, and then I learn the reality. Sancho, is like the physics/engineering realities that we all are up against. We can imagine all kinds of things, but where the rubber hits the road is not in debate.

My particular Quixotic dream comes naturally. My childhood was spent at the knees of a family with 214 collective years in a local automotive supply factory...Warner Gear...and an uncle who was a respected engineer at GM (and later consultant with Saturn) who spent every holiday debating all things automotive and in particular all things manufacturing...including all the political (i.e. all things which required forming consensus...working together...which they seemed to count as the greatest stumbling block to American manufacturing success). I really hate losing all the manufacturing jobs. Some, I can understand, but building things...even us dummies engaged in the process...is so fundamental to just being human or a man or a woman...or whatever. I have my big Quixotic quest to rebuild Western manufacturing. Like Quixote, I see windmills...oh, and solar panels...and restoring an imagined previous age.

But for the most part...I spend time on this forum trying to build a donkey to go get some groceries with the kids.

This is my username because it was my father's account on the Delta Force multiplayer FPS game. Many years later of nominal uncreativeness, and it stuck to this day.

That's right, moi? I don't have much of an identity and, subsequently, meaningful nicknames. I noticed that many people of my ilk just put a question mark at the end of their name to indicate that lack of identity that often comes so naturally to many. (I never did that as I never thought of it, but after first coming across that of a mathematician's 'nickname', I immediately understood its significance)

There was a mathematician who did that. Then there's the more infamous types. Jeez, certainly don't want to associate myself with mass serial killers, so I won't name names. lol

Our winters are just a joke :wink: We are as north as Anchorage or Nunavut or what have you. On our latitudes globally there"s only arctic wilderness usually. North affects on how you think, it affects on politics, everything. More north you go, less individuality is accepted globally usually. People have a long history of how to survive and that works through collaboration.
That capital "E" is possibly bit much though. My old man can not speak a word of english, neither can my mother.

My computer generated username from when I worked at Home Depot. Just lazy I guess but if you want a reason I'll make one up. Let's just pretend that my computer generated username makes me feel special because it has both letters and numbers, in other words I'm not just another number, I'm letters and numbers.

i bake. a lot. when i was signing up here, i was on a muffin kick, baking one or two batches a day.
ive had many nicknames though. my dad has called me kerny wormy, kind of a rhyming thing with my name. oddly enough, my dad chose my name so it couldnt be shortened, and would be unique, but he never expected people to lengthen it. i often get kernel, kernel sanders, even korn, kob, and kobbert. even better, my name, kern, is gaelic for the dark one, or swarthy one. my family is mixed black and white, and i am the lightest, with very few ever guessing that i am mixed.

"Amberwolf" came from being at my very first SciFi convention, which was, I think, LepreCon 14? Whichever was in 1986, I guess. I walked up to the registration table, and was filling out the card, which had a space for "badge name, if different", and when I asked I was told people often used the names of things or people they liked, or characters they role-play, I decided to use the names of two of my then-favorite things: Amber Wolf.

But when the card came out of the laminator, it was Amberwolf, all one word. And so it stays to this day, since so many knew me by the end of that con for my artwork and "music" (which was not actually any good, but apparently showed some promise, even then).

I've had many nicknames from elementary through college. I've lived in MANY different places in California, moving every 3-4 years and meeting new friends along the way, gaining new nicknames.

In elementary school, they couldn't pronounce my last name so I was called Fuji. Not sure how that came about. In middle school, every group I hung out with had a nickname for me. My closest friends called my Fong. These cute girls that I would walk home everyday called me Cloliver, which was supposed to be a mix between Calvin and Oliver since I reminded them of another friend.

Then in college, my best buds called me Calboy. It was based on cowboy, which sounded like the vietnamese word my grandmother would use to refer to "gangsters/thugs". (That's what she thought of me and my friends :roll: ). Cali-Cal was another term of endearment brought on by my nomadic past.

My wife even has a play on my last name and calls me "Fong-Dong"

As far as my username goes, I went by Calvin3000 in college because of Andre3000 of Outkast. I always attributed the 3000 postfix to mean "latest and greatest" machine/appliance of the future; not of this time; versatile.

At some point, I found that I couldn't get Calvin3000 as a username on some site and sought a more unique way of representing it. Now, cal3thousand is me on all sites, since no other Calvin is crazy/weird enough to come up with it. :mrgreen:

Back