Graphene

Generator

1 W
I was wondering if anyone know whether any one is using Graphene to create electricity. They say we can generate electricity out of Graphene sheet / paint when exposed to any form of light / sunlight. Any one know the quantity of it, is it viable or still in research mode? Also are there any components available in market especially wires, which we can use for electricity conduction?

You can buy some types of it for <$150/kg. Experiment yourself and figure it out. :)

liveforphysics said:
You can buy some types of it for <$150/kg. Experiment yourself and figure it out. :)

You mean I can buy Graphene Wires in the market? Link?

Lewis Carroll said:
"I'm sure I'll take you with pleasure!" the Queen said. "Twopence a week, and jam every other day."
Alice couldn't help laughing, as she said, "I don't want you to hire me—and I don't care for jam."
"It's very good jam," said the Queen.
"Well, I don't want any to-day, at any rate."
"You couldn't have it if you did want it," the Queen said. "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday — but never jam to-day."
"It must come sometimes to "jam to-day,"' Alice objected.
"No, it can't," said the Queen. "It's jam every other day: to-day isn't any other day, you know."

No, that's not what he meant. He means you can buy your own personal hunk of graphene and FIGURE OUT how to make the wire you want out of it.

https://graphene-supermarket.com

Terribly exciting times we live in. Also terribly frustrating. Scientific journals these days are much like the tabloids of old. You read of all these WILD THINGS the scientists are developing, but suddenly you find you're visiting P.T. Barnum's American Museum. Maybe someday, but certainly not today.

http://www.universitywafer.com/Wafers_Services/Graphene/graphene.html?gclid=COCHovrkk70CFclDMgodiEEAkg

The point being, graphene is currently one big open source lab experiment. Crowd sourcing. Mr. Physics is hoping you'll make some big breakthrough so he won't have to. Come to think of it, I'm hoping that too. Maybe everyone here is hoping that. But there isn't some sort of ready made 'Fun with Graphene' DYI educational game you can run buy. Or any finished products. Maybe you can be the first on your block.

Lewis Carroll said:
"I don't understand you," said Alice. "It's dreadfully confusing!"
"That's the effect of living backwards," the Queen said kindly: "it always makes one a little giddy at first."
"Living backwards!" Alice repeated in great astonishment. "I never heard of such a thing!"
"—but there's one great advantage in it, that one's memory works both ways."
"I'm sure mine only works one way," Alice remarked. "I can't remember things before they happen."
"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards," the Queen remarked.
"What sort of things do you remember best?" Alice ventured to ask.
"Oh, things that happened the week after next," the Queen replied in a careless tone.

[youtube]Irg3kbnTN4o[/youtube]

So in nut shell Graphene is still a wishful thinking.
I'd definitely check in my circle if someone can work on this project. I may sponsor them for this.

Samsung Researchers Celebrate Promising Graphene Breakthrough
...thanks to the work of the Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology (SAIT) and Sungkyunkwan University in Seoul, South Korea. Samsung Electronics announced Friday that its researchers have found a way to accelerate the commercialization of graphene, a material endowed with exceptional conductivity, strength, flexibility, lightness, and transparency...
.... earned them the 2010 Nobel Prize for Physics....
..Graphene is the strongest material in the world; it's stronger than diamond and about 300 times stronger than steel. Yet it's flexible. It's also the thinnest material in the world; it can be made in sheets one atom thick, which also makes it transparent. It's the best electrical conductor known.
graphene.jpg

And here enters a Silicon God, Bill Gates....
In November, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awarded a $100,000 grant to the National Graphene Institute to develop a graphene-based condom, which could advance the foundation's public health goals.
Yea, a miracle material with all kinds of applications in computing devices and what does Bill want? A better condom. Hahahaaahahaaaaaa.....

Well to be fair condoms are quite shit. The best case scenario is that they are only 98 per cent effective.

Let's do some probability to highlight their ineffectiveness:

• Women are at their most fertile 18 per cent of the time (Five days per average cycle of 28 days).

Every time two fertile individuals have sex with a just condom there is a .36 per cent chance of pregnancy. That's the best case assuming the condom doesn't break and the woman doesn't get pregnant outside their most fertile period.

All things being equal if you have sex 100 times a year with the odds above you have 30 per cent chance of getting the woman pregnant in that year. If you have sex 1000 times over a ten year period the woman has a 97 per cent chance of becoming pregnant.

Let's say the woman is only fertile for three days per cycle. 1000 times still leaves her with a 89 per cent chance of pregnancy using a condom correctly.

And that's just having sex twice a week. In the real world with the same frequency of sex the chances of pregnancy are much much higher.

In short, condoms suck but if Bill's plan succeeds together with the invention of the male pill there will be a new type of famine. :lol:

Perhaps, though I wouldn't claim to know what runs through the head of someone else.

Apparently, graphene has a tensile strength of 81,200 N/mm2 the Germans have specified that condoms are only greater than 20 N/mm2. Those zygotes are going nowhere.

Edit: http://www.deutsche-latex.de/quality-english.pdf

If I can make and ebike out of condoms that's fine with me. We just need to get these kinds of advanced materials into economic production. Just imagine the construction products we can have if graphene can be made cheaply enough to use as condoms.

Dauntless said:
So I was listening to this girl talk tonight, I think SHE would like the idea of that graphene condom. . . .
I really think Bill is onto something here! Graphene is a penultimate electrical conductor. Rubber, however, as we know is an electrical insulator. I believe the switch to a graphene condom will likely significantly enhance orgasm for both partners. But that theory would have to be tested of course. When the condoms become available, I'll be testing my theory, in the vein of Masters and Johnson research. Please pass the word that I'm now soliciting test subjects..... :mrgreen:

arkmundi said:
Dauntless said:
So I was listening to this girl talk tonight, I think SHE would like the idea of that graphene condom. . . .
I really think Bill is onto something here! Graphene is a penultimate electrical conductor. Rubber, however, as we know is an electrical insulator. I believe the switch to a graphene condom will likely significantly enhance orgasm for both partners. But that theory would have to be tested of course. When the condoms become available, I'll be testing my theory, in the vein of Masters and Johnson research. Please pass the word that I'm now soliciting test subjects..... :mrgreen:

I don't care how thin or electrically conductive they are, condoms suck compared to having a trustworthy wife and going au naturale.

Ah yes, you refer to the Holy Grail. To which the rest of us ask 'What's THAT like?'

The woman I was referring to seemed more anxious to avoid becoming the trustworthy wife, expressing her concern for the consequences of the unreliable NONgraphene. . . well. . . .

She reminds me of the girl I tried to date my senior year of high school. As in unsuccessfully. So after graduation, as a guy I also went to grade school with was reporting to the Navy, this other guy from the high school was buying a house with the trust fund he got his hands on now that he was 18. And she suddenly realized who the man for was. Before long she was engaged. . . .(It gets better.)

So in college, this guy I knew was giving me the chance to meet his new girlfriend. Except it turned out I already knew her. So guess who is now REALLY not speaking to me. I knew her secret, afterall.

By the time the guy I'd gone to grade school with came home from the Navy, it seems the newlyweds had used up the trust fund, (Seems he didn't have nearly so much as she expected) lost the house, rented a garage to live in, oops, right across the street from this guys' parents, where he's staying since he got home. Once she'd figured out he knew me better than she did she was asking him all sorts of questions about me, telling him all sorts of things I'd been doing that were in fact quite ficitional. But he was having fun believing that I was having this affair with this married woman, and having fun talking about it.

So the husband sought a divorce over her infidelity, I hope he wasn't listing me in that as she hadn't been even talking to me for awhile. I did see her with one guy, perhaps HE was the father of the child the ex was disavowing. Meanwhile I had two things the ex didn't: a job and a house. So she was going to give me something else the ex didn't have: A chance with her, which I certainly didn't want. . . .

Did you know so many of these health organizations say that, to avoid sexually transmitted diseases, even married couples should use condoms the first 2 years? That's the reality most of us face. A trustworthy wife, what a fantasy.

So this woman last night fretting on the dangers of finding herself pregnant before her biological clock has safely ticked itself out, such a shame, actually she'd be quite a prospect if she changed her mind, and quite good looking. No, I wasn't on a date, I just ran into her party when I walked downtown. Wound up in the little Italian place with the waitress that goes to the kitchen and stares out at me through the little, well, space thingee, she seems to think I can't see her there doing it. Her boyfriend works there with her, but I think he's more what I'd call a mascot. She doesn't seem to realize he sees all this too. I wonder if she goes out with a lot of guys and he knows. It seems to me like he's one of those guys who knows he's just hanging around holding out hope that she'll feel like she's running out of time. But you know what could go wrong, right?

Anyway, getting back to this graphene condom. Are you only thinking of the conductivity, or do maybe you think there'll be extra strength such as with carbon fiber?

Since it's the strongest material there is, then yes stronger with "unbreakable" a better description yet probably thin enough that I might find them almost acceptable.

Regarding the holy grail it's not only about making a good choice. The more important part of fidelity IME is giving it to them better than they ever had it before, because if you can't do that then they will always be on the lookout for something better, even if it's at only a subconscious level. Being away from home too much is asking for trouble too, since you can't properly take care of your wife if you're not there and anyone can get lonely. Too much loneliness and fidelity can fly out the window for even the most trustworthy.

DIY graphene in your kitchen blender

Graphene may have important applications in the electronics industry, as well as water treatment technologies.
By Brooks Hays | April 22, 2014 at 12:36 PM

DUBLIN, Ireland, April 22 (UPI) -- Graphene is made up of a one-atom thick sheet of carbon atoms arranged in a honeycomb-like structure. It is strong, flexible, lightweight, nearly transparent and a superb conductor of heat and electricity. Graphite is effectively layer upon layer of graphene.

Scientists were only recently able to construct graphene in a lab setting, but now, researchers have shown its possible to make graphene at home -- in a kitchen blender.

A group of scientists from the United Kingdom and Ireland used a variety of materials and machines, including kitchen blenders, to demonstrate how a rapidly rotating tool (a blender blade) can break down and separate the layers of graphene that make up graphite flakes, without compromising its atomic structure.

The researchers -- via experiments conducted at Trinity College Dublin -- were able to create graphene by mixing the proper amount of graphite powder, water and dishwashing liquid in a high-powered blender.

Material engineers think graphene could be added to a range of other materials to make them stronger and conductive. Some think it could replace silicon in advanced electronics. The material may also have applications in oil spill clean-ups and water treatment technologies.

The researchers detailed their work with graphene in the latest edition of the journal Nature Materials.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2014/04/22/DIY-graphene-in-your-kitchen-blender/8781398180331/#ixzz2ze3jegB8

All joking aside, the Gates foundation is funding several promising condom technologies in the hopes of reducing the spread of AIDS in Africa. From what I've read, this noble effort is doomed to NOT bear fruit, because the demographic this is intended for must use a "space age" condom every single time they have sex...and...

...the rapid spread of AIDS suggests that the general population there has sex quite frequently and with multiple partners. The death toll is quite sad, as polling has suggested that most cases of infection by a monogamous wife are from the husband bringing the disease home from an infected prostitute, and the wives are often beaten if they refuse to give their husbands sex. Focusing on condoms is also an effort to provide contraception, since poor uneducated people who have lots of kids often find themselves in a poverty spiral...

Speaking of the wives the majority are often in arranged marriages, sold by their father like they were a piece of furniture.

Some commentators have lauded the Gates foundations efforts in Africa (including sleeping nets to reduce malarial mosquito bites while sleeping), while sneering at Googles efforts to bring smart phones and cell antennas hoisted by balloons. I would suggest that we can do both, but perhaps...the education provided by access to educational info on the web might actually save more lives?...

spinningmagnets said:
Speaking of the wives the majority are often in arranged marriages, sold by their father like they were a piece of furniture.

Some commentators have lauded the Gates foundations efforts in Africa (including sleeping nets to reduce malarial mosquito bites while sleeping), while sneering at Googles efforts to bring smart phones and cell antennas hoisted by balloons. I would suggest that we can do both, but perhaps...the education provided by access to educational info on the web might actually save more lives?...

The effects of education are somewhat overstated when it comes to these topics. It is a cultural thing. The fact of the matter is that women are treated like shit in Africa and large swathes of Asia particularly India.

It wasn't too long ago that they were treated like shit in the West but Africa is decades behind the rest of the world.

The only way to counter condoning such behaviour is a change of culture and all that entails. Rapists need to become pariahs and punished severally. You also have the hindrance of religion particularly extremist Islam.

Only when the cultural issues and religion are sidelined will Africa change for the better in these matters. The condoms will help but they won't stop women being raped and beaten by men. You're still talking about tribal societies which are centuries behind our standards.

So they have a better method than scotch tape huh? :mrgreen:

Joseph C. said:
Well to be fair condoms are quite shit. The best case scenario is that they are only 98 per cent effective.

• Women are at their most fertile 18 per cent of the time (Five days per average cycle of 28 days).

Every time two fertile individuals have sex with a just condom there is a .36 per cent chance of pregnancy. That's the best case assuming the condom doesn't break and the woman doesn't get pregnant outside their most fertile period.

All things being equal if you have sex 100 times a year with the odds above you have 30 per cent chance of getting the woman pregnant in that year. If you have sex 1000 times over a ten year period the woman has a 97 per cent chance of becoming pregnant.

Let's say the woman is only fertile for three days per cycle. 1000 times still leaves her with a 89 per cent chance of pregnancy using a condom correctly.

And that's just having sex twice a week. In the real world with the same frequency of sex the chances of pregnancy are much much higher.

In short, condoms suck but if Bill's plan succeeds together with the invention of the male pill there will be a new type of famine. :lol:

Where was the LOL smiley face after this to let us know that this was a joke? Seriously, there are some gullible people who might believe this is true.

As far as graphene is concerned, I can't wait to see the advances it promotes.

Ch00paKabrA said:
Joseph C. said:

Where was the LOL smiley face after this to let us know that this was a joke? Seriously, there are some gullible people who might believe this is true.

Is there a point somewhere? I can't seem to see it as it is lost in your smug arrogance.

Condoms are 98 per cent effective if used correctly. Assuming the woman and man are fertile all of the time and no other protection is used that means she has a one in 50 chance to become pregnant while wearing a condom. That's a fact that's not open to dispute go and look it up yourself.

But all things are not equal and women are at their most fertile for several days per cycle. The above was a best-case scenario for the effectiveness of a condom assuming regular sex and two healthy fertile people. It's self-explanatory.

You can do the maths yourself if you think it is wrong. It isn't but how and ever you obviously know better so go ahead.

I'm all for recognizing smug arrogance when it raises its head (pun intended). For me, its the smug arrogance of the Bill Gaters of the world, the 1%, who set up these tax exempt empires with their wealth pretending they're solving unsolvable problems "over there" in that other part of the world, so as to maintain the illusion of charitable concern, when its really all about wealth preservation. A new graphene condom will not solve the problem of AIDS. But let's all hail that little prick for having schemed his way to the top, the kind of American hero in our sick society that will continue to be worshipped, completely forgetting how empires are made.

The fingers said:
I would like graphene in my tires, tubes, spokes, helmet, shoes, gloves, jacket, battery enclosure, and sunglasses. 8)
So.... You don't want it inside the batteries? IN side the mosfets and other controller components?

Guys graphine will be the next carbon fiber which is kinda cool...

But when done right it will help make batteries better and in a controller It will help mosfets or what ever the next gen of power switches will be called to be smaller cheaper and conduct electricity and heat better making controller TECH skyrocket!

Back