Cycle Analyst Trip Analysis Software (now Online Sharing!)

justin_le

Administrator
Staff member
-EDIT- This thread started off for the creating of a stand alone tool to open and view CA trip data inside google earth, but it evolved instead into an online web application that runs inside your browser, with nothing to download and install. This web app is available from here:
http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/trip-analyzer.html

Just a very preliminary release but I thought some people might like to play with this in the current state. Unzip the attached software package and launch the executable, then load both a CA log file and a corresponding GPS file in the file dialogs. If you have a GPS analogger then these files will created and saved with each trip, but you could also have CA data that is logged on a computer and GPS data that comes from any device that saves location data at 1Hz in a NMEA format.

View attachment 5

This will generate a .kmz file, which you can then open with Google Earth. Once you do, it should zoom in to show your trip route, along with a 3D line bar graph for your speed, voltage, current, and watts:
View attachment 2

Where it gets fun though is if you right click on the "All CA and GPS Data" in the places sidebar and select the option to show elevation profile:
Show Elevation Profile.jpg

Then you will see a 2D graph appear under the map, along with options to simultaneously show any two of the logged CA parameters. There is a live cursor which you can scroll back and forth to see the numeric data, and which will highlight the corresponding location on the map with a large arrow. Here for instance is this trip above showing the motor amps and vehicle speed:
Amps and Speed.jpg

Here is the plot of motor temperature and trip elevation. You can easily see the periods of motor temperature increase corresponding more or less to sections of the trip that involved hill climbs
Temp and Elevation, Cropped.jpg

There's still a lot more work to do but at this point it's at least fairly usable for people who want to play a bit with their ebike data sets, so download and play :D

Also, attached are the python script files for people who want to play with the .kmz generating code and tweak it to their needs.

Attachments

• AnaloggerToKMZ_PythonScripts.RenameToZip.pdf
    6.5 KB · Views: 139
teslanv said:
[edit] Looks like there are some options on android to output GPX or KML files. - Would they be compatible?

The GPS file needs to be in the NMEA text format, but there are lots of programs to convert GPX into the NMEA standard. I haven't tried it yet but imagine this would do the job handily regardless of what you are using on the android:
http://www.gpsbabel.org/

The important thing is that the CA to KMZ software assumes that there is either a 1:1 or 1:5 data mapping between each GPS point and CA data row (depending on if you are at 1Hz or 5Hz on the CA), so you want to make sure that your track data points are recorded at 1Hz. I presume this is the default for most cell phone GPS units but there are some higher rate 10Hz GPS devices out there too.

-Justin

Exceptional! I'm excited to try it!

Justin, I'll buy a V3 Cycle Analyst if you autograph it, I'll even throw in an extra $20 to pay for a light-colored paint pen. If yes, give me a code word to put in the order?...

spinningmagnets said:
Justin, I'll buy a V3 Cycle Analyst if you autograph it, I'll even throw in an extra $20 to pay for a light-colored paint pen. If yes, give me a code word to put in the order?...

Give me a reason to travel to Kansas spinningmagnets and I'll hand deliver this to you in person! :mrgreen:

But really, it could be quite fun when doing your comparison writeups between different ebike drives systems to present performance data visualized this way. There doesn't seem to be a limit on how many .kmz files you can have simultaneously imported so you can see power usage of the several trips side by side in the 3-D line graphs. But when you click the "show elevation profile" to get the 2D graph underneath, that would be just for one trip at a time.

Has anyone else had tried the software yet?

justin_le said:
Has anyone else had tried the software yet?
Gonna have to quit work early and rush home to try this!

Pretty cool. Its now like the Eagletree datalogger I used a when I first started using my ebike. Going to get me the analogger now for the higher voltage limit for my projects.

Same as the Eagletree

Give me a reason to travel to Kansas

I am surrounded by cattle, and also farms that grow cattle food. I have travelled a lot, and this is one of the most boring places I have ever been (I came for a job and to be near my kids/grandkids). I like you too much to subject you to even one day here...will you be at the Interbike meet in Las Vegas in Sept?

fechter said:
Pretty cool.
How much memory does the CA have for logging?

The CA itself doesn't have any onboard memory, it just streams it out continuously via the data port so you need to capture and save this with another device. We make the Analogger for that:
http://www.ebikes.ca/documents/Analogger_Manual_Web.pdf
But you can also save it to a laptop using the TTL->USB cable, or in principle install a serial->bluetooth wireless module and save it wireless with a smart phone.

-Justin

teslanv said:
Justin,

Can you point us to an example of a compatible bluetooth module that can connect to the CA3?

Almost any serial->bluetooth device that takes a 0-5V logic level rather than strictly a 0-3.3V level should work OK. The main challenge is the power draw, most of them need like 20-30mA of current when transmitting, and the CA can't supply that from it's 5V bus so you need a separate DC-DC converter or a small onboard battery to energize it.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12580
http://www.sunrom.com/200
etc.

-Justin

Using Windows 7 professional (32 bit) service pack 1, the app runs in that I can choose the CA file and the GPS file, and "Generate". It creates a 0 kb KMZ file. Then nothing happens, even after running for an hour on a < 1MB file.

Screen+Shot+2014-04-17+at+10.18.48+PM.jpg

Is there a debugging mode I can look at to try to diagnose?

justin_le said:
Just a very preliminary release but I thought some people might like to play with this in the current state.
You can do some interesting things overlaying bicycle data on to Google Earth. It gets more interesting with multiple riders. This is a visualisation of a training ride with Green Edge and includes overlaying heart rate and power data.
[youtube]oLGixOSWiOQ[/youtube]
A few different techniques are used in this Women's Tour of New Zealand video.
[youtube]5se0LoJMqbs[/youtube]
Perhaps there is something there you can use.

Justin, tried this out today on Windows 7 64 bit and got same issue as Matticiii. It should generate the file quickly, right? Let me know what OS's this is supported on? I would like to play around with this. Thanks.

drew12345 said:
Justin, tried this out today on Windows 7 64 bit and got same issue as Matticiii. It should generate the file quickly, right? Let me know what OS's this is supported on? I would like to play around with this. Thanks.

Hmm, it should work fine on any version of windows, but it looks like something is missing or got corrupted in the attached archive since since I'm having the same issue running it from the download while my local copy works fine. The main developer is away at the moment but I'll follow up on this soon.

We're switchng our efforts a bit to make this more of a web-app rather than a stand alone application so that we can make it a lot more platform independent. In the meantime though, if you can upload the GPS and CA log files here I can run the conversion for you.
-Justin

justin_le said:
We're switchng our efforts a bit to make this more of a web-app rather than a stand alone application so that we can make it a lot more platform independent. In the meantime though..

Alright everyone, here's a proof of concept on that:
http://www.ebikes.ca/tripanalyzer/index.html

It should be fairly self explanatory. Upload your CA file and GPS files then hit Submit. At the moment, it assumes that the CA is at a 5Hz data rate, but it will autodetermine whether this is 1Hz or 5Hz in the final version.
TripAnalyzerUpload.jpg

Once submitted, you'll have an embedded trip map on the top, and a 2-D graph on the bottom for plotting all the variables. As you move the mouse along the graph, then a cursor balloon shows the corresponding point on the map:
TripAnalyzerResults.jpg

The graph scaling can be adjusted with the two sliders to zone in on a certain region. And the plan will then be to have all the computed statistic for this selected region (Wh/km, %regen, average power, net elevation gain, etc.) in a data box on the right, and the selected region will have a different colour on the route map.

Unlike the google earth implementation we can't show the data as a 3D bar graph super-imposed on the top route map, but it does give us full control over the data analytics.

Great work Justin. It looks like you cured my anxiety about being able to really use my Analogger.

BTW, the Analogger is difficult to find on your website. I had to go to CA accessories to find info. It deserves a more direct route and it's own product listing.

John

Nice work Justin!

I will give it a try to adjust the output of the android/iphone app to this formats.

Back