New job with a Tough commute.

dogman dan

1 PW
I spent 5 years doing a 15 mile downhill ride to my job, and the tough uphill ride home. A pretty tough commute by bike, when it would end up being uphill into the wind. Tough on motors, when it was 40c out there.

Now I have a new commute. From New Mexico to Pennsylvania. By Skype. :D

I have just been hired to talk to noobs about ebikes, on the E-Bikekit website. As many of you know, I have beta tested and reviewed a lot for Jason in the past. And now he's my boss. He needs a guy to explain the basics to folks over and over. Sound like something I can handle?

Perfect for me, I was never going to get social security disability for an illness you can't prove you have. (Post Viral Fatigue) So I needed a job that is not too physical. I thought about the call centers in town, school bus driver, etc. But none of those jobs have the kind of flexible hours I need. When I have a very severe day, I have to be able to bow out, or at least do something easy.

So this web chat, It's just like being paid to be watching the ES site. 8) Something I'd do when too tired for much else anyway.

Will I be biased now? Of course I will to some extent. I already was friends with Jason, and thought his kits were first class. As a moderator here, I will now leave any disputes involving E-bike kit to the other moderators. If somebody wants a good triangle battery bag or a bb2, I'll still be sending them to cellman. Or if they want a longtail ebike, I'll mention Grin. If their budget is $500, its ebay for a Yes kit or a rear drive zip bike. Nothing has really changed that much.

Sounds like a nice gig for you. Good luck with it.

Harold

That's great Dogman!

You have helped so many here on ES, including myself, its about time you were paid for all of your wise advice.

Congrats!

Nice one now I feel even worse for having to werq for a living cuz I had an attitude when I was young and did not live up to my potential. Ha, no really it's great that you could fall into something like that. Should be a plus for them as well as you. I am blessed that when things got bad I could transfer to a less physical job at werq but not near as nice as yours. There are not to many around that actually get paid to werq at and push their addictions legally. :) Oh, and although I love your commute it does not involve riding yer bike. :(

Getting paid to give noobs advice? Golden!

Was it Jason's idea?

Good going DOGMAN, JASON is the best EBIKE dealer that I have ever dealt with and has a very good product line and you know the best part about him is that he will always talk to to you and answer any question you have. hope the best for you and (EBIKEKIT). COOPER. :) :) :)

But you can still answer questions about the ebike kit.

You don't want social security at this point anyway. There is such a thing as people getting better years down the road.

Absolutely, I kept getting told by everybody to apply for it, but I had near zero chance of getting a disability pension. On a good day I'm normal, so very hard to prove disability. Three "normal" days in a row, and I'm back in bed for a week sick as hell.

And anyway, I'd rather adapt, improvise, and overcome.

The commute is too short. I have to ride daily, to keep getting stronger. Lots of trips to the grocery just for the 10 mile ride will be happening.

Nice news, and glad to hear it.
This new job could even be kind of fun?
Should beat the heck out of most alternatives.
And talk about job security… there are an infinite number of noobs, and more come along every day :lol:

OK, re commute.
To establish instant credibility with callers, and sell them on practicality of e-bikes, you'd ideally want to talk with them from your bike, right?
(Well, while you are pulled over and in the shade actually.)
How's wireless coverage in Las Cruces?
Jeez, the benefits could be great… maybe you could even write off part of the bike operating costs? Like "I'm at the office and on call whenever I'm riding on my bike… so half my bike expenses are actually office expenses… so I'm taking this $$$ tax deduction on new battery / motor / iPad / whatever…"
(Don't take my advice on tax matters, it would probably end up with you as a guest of Uncle Sam at Leavenworth with three hots and a cot for an extended stay, but hey, the idea is kind of cool.)

dogman said:
Absolutely, I kept getting told by everybody to apply for it, but I had near zero chance of getting a disability pension. On a good day I'm normal, so very hard to prove disability. Three "normal" days in a row, and I'm back in bed for a week sick as hell.

And anyway, I'd rather adapt, improvise, and overcome.

The commute is too short. I have to ride daily, to keep getting stronger. Lots of trips to the grocery just for the 10 mile ride will be happening.

That's the spirit! All the best to you and Jason (nice new website BTW)! :D

Potentially could be done from a smart phone. If I was young and could see text that small.

Nice going. That should be a good job for you. Explaining ebikes to noobs is certainly needed. I work in the industry at a shop here, and it's more of talking about complete ebikes to non-cyclist types.

Smart move on Jasons part.

Over the years i've been mostly lurking here - no single person has more effectively comunicated the basic concepts of ebiking more consistantly, reliably and congenially than you have.

YES. A well deserved opportunity.

You'll have the experience to write a book for noobs, quickly! I've done part-time magazine subscription renewal and internet tech support (dial-up era) and I loved that every few minutes was a clean slate that was an opportunity for a fresh positive attitude.

Maybe you can get a training stand and use your bike as a generator while you're in conversation. "Yes, you can charge while pedaling. I'm doing it as we speak! " :wink:

Good news!

Dogman, you have never pulled punches when a product you were trying had an issue that could be improved. Also, when newbies tried out your advice, they were happy with their first E-bike...instead of their third.

It's no secret that I'm a writer for electricbike.com, and since we don't have any advertisers, we don't have to kiss anyones feet. I can say without hesitation that e-bikekit.com is on my personal top-4 trusted vendors list (ebikes.ca/Grin, em3ev.com, pingbattery.com, and of course...Jason at e-bikekit.com).

Interbike is just around the corner in September, so if e-bikekit.com will be sending you to Las Vegas as a rep, you might need to get reservations soon to make sure you get a room...

So far so good on the new job. Enjoying talking e bikes world wide as usual.

My brother said, " just try to sound like you have pants on".

Great job for you. You recommended that I get an ebike kit front hub years ago and I still have that motor although it's currently waiting to go on another cruiser bike. :p
Best Wishes.

Congratulations my friend! The noobs are amazingly fortunate to have you for questions and support! You're incredibly knowledgeable and experienced with ebikes, as well as patient and kind to noobs. Perfect man for the job! Jason is lucky to have you, and you are lucky to get to share your ebike passion helping others as a job!

Thanks for putting up that link. Nice to know where I work. :D A couple things in there I needed to learn, since I'm supposed to be the expert. I like the look of the new shipping box.

I remember Jason being really busy that day, now I see why they need me to sit watching the chat traffic. I didn't realize that Alec was the master wheel truer. No wonder he's got no time for chats.

Back