Extended bottom bracket spindles

100volts+

10 kW
I currently use a Shimano BB un26 BC 1.37x24 sealed bearing cartridge with 127.5 mm square tapered spindle. (Pretty standard) I need 140mm spindle length to fit some short cranks on my bike without hitting my beefy cromo swingarm because I'd like to try a 17 inch motorcycle wheel. Phil Woods has the bottom bracket system and long spindle but it would cost around 225.00 dollars. Surely there is a cheaper way.

100volts+ said:
I currently use a Shimano BB un26 BC 1.37x24 sealed bearing cartridge with 127.5 mm square tapered spindle. (Pretty standard) I need 140mm spindle length to fit some short cranks on my bike without hitting my beefy cromo swingarm because I'd like to try a 17 inch motorcycle wheel. Phil Woods has the bottom bracket system and long spindle but it would cost around 225.00 dollars. Surely there is a cheaper way.

Cart before the horse, I guess. Have it your way.

Sickbikeparts.com has symmetrical 132mm and asymmetrical 153 and 206mm bottom brackets for $15-25.

Paying $225 for a Phil bottom bracket is a seriously dumb thing to do, which makes it a perfect match for putting a motorcycle wheel on a bicycle. I say go for it.

Note that moving your cranks outward will screw up your chainline, harming shifting and causing premature drivetrain wear. I'm guessing you don't pedal, in which case that's not a big deal.

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=q5avml8nvv57teefdhj8paijo2

See em all here.

Thanks for the lead guys. I already have a 19" motocross rim and tire, and the stock pedals are going to be to close to the ground if I go to a 17". It's a very heavy BSO but I have no intentions of entering the Tour de France.

Note that moving your cranks outward will screw up your chainline, harming shifting and causing premature drivetrain wear. I'm guessing you don't pedal, in which case that's not a big deal.

Yeah, the pedals are just decorations Chalo. Good guess.

Eclipse bikes in the uk have a 153mm BB cartridge for £10.95, it is not symmetrical but I am sure the end caps can be swapped to give you 2 different offset options. I believe this one is sold by them to enable the Cyclone motors to fit between the pedal cranks.

http://www.eclipsebikes.com/153mm-bottom-bracket-cartridge-p-996.html

Back