18 year old Perth man fighting for life...

Just watching the local nightly news, breaking news 18 year old knocked off his motorised bike by a truck, in RPH fighting for his life, the footage showed what appeared to be a foldable style electric frock motor bike... Hopefully this doesn't initiate a crack down for local ebikers

KiM

I heard it was a petrol bike not a frock. But I maybe wrong. Either way roads around Perth are becoming busier day by day and our cycle lane are non existent apart for separate freeway and the swan river cycle ways.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/rescue-chopper-sent-to-truckbike-crash-in-oakford-20140826-108jvm.html

AussieJester said:
Hopefully this doesn't initiate a crack down for local ebikers

That would be a very silly thing to do. The bicycles are the safest vehicles on your roads, the cars are the ones causing the injury/death.

This might be a good time to remember the importance of lots of bright flashing lights.

One night recently I was riding on a paved trail and just barely missed hitting someone riding another bicycle, he was in the middle of the trail, traveling in the opposite direction. I don't know what he was doing, but I am not even sure if he saw me at all (which seems impossible) because he didn't move an inch from his original heading, I know he had headphones on and it looked like he may have been looking down. I have a very bright headlight, and only was able to dodge him because I caught a glimpse of the reflectors on his pedals just in time.

Poor fella. I'm with lfp on causation.

But fingers, really - offering prayers to deities after the fact might be the silliest thing I'll hear all day.

liveforphysics said:
AussieJester said:
Hopefully this doesn't initiate a crack down for local ebikers

That would be a very silly thing to do. The bicycles are the safest vehicles on your roads, the cars are the ones causing the injury/death.

Yes, you are right. But since when have motorists/civil authorities done anything other than blame and regulate their victims? Everyone, it seems, must atone for the crimes of motorists, except motorists.

@Rodney. Was definitely not petrol engine mate, they showed the crushed bike, was
"girls" style low bar frame, I also saw the 200watt sized rear frock motor in the news footage.

@Luke. Maybe so, I feel a he'll of allot safer in my Ute now than on the roads on a ebike, in fact I'm selling all my ebikes, just to dangerous on road, too many idiots talking on cell phones not looking where they're going, it's ridiculous. Bought a quad bike (and no, I won't be electrifying it any time soon) so now all my riding will be exclusively off road.
Having a blast actually, really missed the BRaaaaaP

KiM

Checked in with Jesse to make sure it wasn't him, which it wasn't. Not that I want it to be anyone at all!

AussieJester said:
..... I feel a he'll of allot safer in my Ute now than on the roads on a ebike, in fact I'm selling all my ebikes, just to dangerous on road, too many idiots talking on cell phones not looking where they're going, it's ridiculous.
KiM
Jeez Kim, she really has you by the short & curlys !
What a waste of talent and experience. Just as Jonesy puts Perth on the EV map, you swap your multi meter for A rechargeable dildo !
I would at least expect you to be planning a LiPo powered Ute !
Just keep safe dude !

Looking at the scene in the pictures the truck had the brakes on lock for some time and he wasn't in the bike lane.
It looks like the cyclist tried to cross at the lights so unless the truck ran the light.......?

I have ridden a motor bike for 33 years, you cannot even once assume someone is going to give way to you just because you have the right of way.
It is even worse on a bicycle and an ebike. I was knocked off a bicycle 15 years ago when a driver failed to indicate a left turn ( we drive on the left here) and I assumed he was going straight.
Its not much fun watching a car wheel miss you by inches.

You must ride like you are invisible and there are no rules. People make mistakes, it happens and sometimes you don't get a second chance.
I see it nearly everyday, riders, powered and un powered, not doing themselves any favours. There is no point being right if you are dead right.
I am not saying don't have fun but there is a time and place for everything.

I hope the young bloke pulls through.

Modbikemax said:
Looking at the scene in the pictures the truck had the brakes on lock for some time and he wasn't in the bike lane.
It looks like the cyclist tried to cross at the lights so unless the truck ran the light.......?
That seems like a reasonable possibility, the first most visible set of lights are not walk-way pedestrian lights so if he was trying to legitimately cross the lights it would of been on the previous (un-visible) most distant set of lights, this seems quite plausible since you can see truck tire skid marks going all the way out of the picture frame below.

Attachments

• 260814genoakford3_19vo6al-19vo6cn.jpg
    260814genoakford3_19vo6al-19vo6cn.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,547
  • Screenshot 2014-08-28 00.46.442.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-08-28 00.46.442.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 2,544
Well, guess this ranks right up there on the Crapola Scale... "Teenager hit by truck in Oakford on Tuesday dies in hospital"
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/teenager-hit-by-truck-in-oakford-on-tuesday-dies-in-hospital-20140828-109ku0.html

AussieJester said:
Just watching the local nightly news, breaking news 18 year old knocked off his motorised bike by a truck, in RPH fighting for his life, the footage showed what appeared to be a foldable style electric frock motor bike... Hopefully this doesn't initiate a crack down for local ebikers

KiM

Kim, NSW have just announced a ban on motorised bicycles, and a clamp down on any non "Pedales" ebikes, and Ebike that are capable of more than 25 kph !

Hillhater said:
Kim, NSW have just announced a ban on motorised bicycles, and a clamp down on any non "Pedales" ebikes, and Ebike that are capable of more than 25 kph !

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/downloads/crashstats2012.pdf
Based on? NSW doesn't appear to publish ANY statistics re "ebikes" (or whatever they are termed there)? ... Even the lowly pedal-only cyclist appears ranked waaay down the list compared to car/truck injuries and deaths, So to the casual observer... well, might wonder where their priorities lay? (Lots of industry supporting car/truck sales and service, road repairs, etc. I imagine) Where their priorities LIE?

this was a case of the truck driver racing to beat the light i bet. he was going too fast for him to control his tractor/trailer. this is just another case of negligent homicide imo. vehicular homicide.

dnmun said:
this was a case of the truck driver racing to beat the light i bet. he was going too fast for him to control his tractor/trailer. this is just another case of negligent homicide imo. vehicular homicide.
It should be law that all new cars have a video recorder built in, a recording 1080p video camera doesn't cost much more then a big mac meal ffs, then we could end such mysteries in a heart beat.
Not hard for such things to be maintained or the car is considered inroad worthy just like dirty number plates or bald tires.

They are always announcing in the news big police blitz on trucks being road worthy spending millions of dollars in pulling trucks over and checking them out yet but not being smart with technology.

I guess the government is saying kid is not worth it.

Back