Dillenger Electric Bikes Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
This company should be avoided . I have had nothing but problems with these people since I bought a 1000w conversion kit from them. They lie constantly. Customer service is a joke. I am filing a complaint against them with my states Attorney General and the U.s. Department of Commerce. Save yourself the headache and do not deal with these arrogant bastards.

You might try to contact Sam Sewell; he is the rational voice at Dillenger. I had a similar problem (actually won the PayPal dispute); The only email address that I have for him is in the thread under ebike reviews --- Dillenger 350w front hub kit. Good luck.

I hope you didn't expect something like their warranty to actually be worth something. My batteries were fine, motor fine so long as you don't want spare parts, but their customer service is truly terrible.

metalmangler76 said:
This company should be avoided . I have had nothing but problems with these people since I bought a 1000w conversion kit from them. They lie constantly. Customer service is a joke. I am filing a complaint against them with my states Attorney General and the U.s. Department of Commerce. Save yourself the headache and do not deal with these arrogant bastards.

metalmangler76 please send me a PM here or email me sam@dillenger.com.au

In addition to us offering to replace a defective controller earlier, so far all I have on record is an argument between you and Fletcher over a $12 cable to extend the distance between components on a conversion kit to which you complained about the price and we offered you for free

Fletcher Today 06:43
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your message.
Ok sorry to hear this, I have just spoken to my boss and we'd like to offer you one for free since you have had some troubles in the past.
If you could confirm your address that would be great.
Thanks
Customer Service

emile bergeron Today 01:57
Are you serious? $21 for a cable? Please do not contact me any more. You people are total assholes.

Fletcher Sunday 18:51
Hi Jeff,
We can have one available and ship it for you from Australia.
They are $12 and postage is $9
Please let us know how you would prefer to pay.
Thanks for your time.
Customer Service

emile bergeron Sunday 11:02
I will be filing a complaint with the Louisiana Attorney Generals Office and contacting the United States Department of Commerce concerning your buisness practices. Let's see if we can get your right to do commerce in this country revoked. Have a nice day.

As always, a second side of the story comes out, and the OP looks like the typical *cough* that tries to get something for nothing and is willing to ruin a good business's reputation because they didn't get it.

I'm always wary of people with almost no posts who come on here to bash vendors. Almost never it's the vendor's fault when the other side of the story comes out. We get to know quickly who the dodgy vendors are here... Their complaint thread is usually 20+ pages long, with multiple people complaining, not just one newbie with an unsubstantiated complaint.

Dealer bashing on Modernvespa is not allowed. Mods should have nuked this one with impunity. Please. This is bullshit.

just saying: this vendor could probably use a bunch of public complaints, maybe they'd stop doing this kinda crap if they had them. The only reason I didn't pursue legal avenues was because I opened up my motor and found everything was lovely and good without a sign of wear after 3000 km, and I opened the batteries and found decent cells with a battery management system, a fuse, and good quality nice and shiny solder joints everywhere. The BMS works too, because later I had a full short in a huge downpour and everything just shut down without even blowing a fuse.

I asked my boss bike mechanic about the issues I'd had- he said "that's not right". I asked my family, they said they'd take these guys to consumer affairs if it had been them.

If you mention the possibility of writing a negative review about their business you discover they have some kind of blacklist for people who get annoyed with them, apparently they cut you off.

Me, I took it on the chin and replaced everything other than my batteries. Bought a mid drive from china. Spent about 5 times what the "good deal" they offered to get my bike properly working again would have cost. Shan't be dealing with them anymore unless the batteries catch fire.

Oh and Sam and co know perfectly well who I am, lorien is my real first name you see. Don't bother contacting me or asking me to contact you, I'm not using the motor, controller, brake sensors, or much else I bought from you guys, if I need anything it's faster and cheaper to get it from china, and the service is better.

edit: fixed missing "er" in "bother"

Actually I can't see a purchase from anyone named 'Lorien' but your name does sound familiar.

There is not 1 part of any of our kits that we do not stock as spares in the AU factory. Our phone number is up on the website during business hours. If you have a problem, get off your couch and call us instead turning troll.

lorien said:
The only reason I didn't pursue legal avenues was because I opened up my motor and found everything was lovely and good without a sign of wear after 3000 km, and I opened the batteries and found decent cells with a battery management system, a fuse, and good quality nice and shiny solder joints everywhere. The BMS works too, because later I had a full short in a huge downpour and everything just shut down without even blowing a fuse.

Wow you sound really pissed off about the awesome specs of our kit, so sorry about that - wtf?

lorien said:
I asked my boss bike mechanic about the issues I'd had- he said "that's not right". I asked my family, they said they'd take these guys to consumer affairs if it had been them.

Over what exactly?? Do you work for a bike shop - which one?

lorien said:
If you mention the possibility of writing a negative review about their business you discover they have some kind of blacklist for people who get annoyed with them, apparently they cut you off.

On what website? We don't own the internet.

lorien said:
Me, I took it on the chin and replaced everything other than my batteries. Bought a mid drive from china. Spent about 5 times what the "good deal" they offered to get my bike properly working again would have cost. Shan't be dealing with them anymore unless the batteries catch fire.

No please, I insist, don't buy from us again (assuming you are a customer and not someone we've stolen market share from).

lorien said:
Oh and Sam and co know perfectly well who I am, lorien is my real first name you see. Don't bother contacting me or asking me to contact you, I'm not using the motor, controller, brake sensors, or much else I bought from you guys, if I need anything it's faster and cheaper to get it from china, and the service is better.

Can't argue with that logic...

edit: fixed missing "er" in "bother"[/quote]

2 posts, both on this thread. Real? Not real?

Sam

Ahhh in fact I do know who you are. Ordered by your father Robert Dunn as a present to you. Might as well name and shame.

You bought a kit from Dillenger before we had removable pedal assist sensor, and then black mailed us into changing over a set of major components so that you could then run the newer sensor.

Just because a product improves over time, does not make the short comings of a predecessor a 'warranty issue'. You were provided a quote to change controller ($59), RPAS ($21) and shipping ($25) to which you wrote this:

So you haven't said if you are doing this under warranty and it's been sent, or provided a quote. As I said it should be warranty, you sold me a kit that can only fit bikes with square bottom brackets without any mention it was only for these bikes, any mention of other types, or how to tell if it would fit my bike without issues. The tool kit you sold me specifically for installing the ebike kitb has a bunch of tools that don't fit my bike at all- I couldn't even pull the crank with a kit you charged $45 for. We also talked about hydraulic brake sensors right at the start, you didn't mention you didn't have any in stock, then you just sent me an order without them without there being any mention they were missing, and it took 6 months and multiple emails hassling you before I got them.
Now you can have a satisfied if not happy customer by sorting out this PAS problem under warranty, or you could have an unsatisfied but not too annoyed customer by giving me this stuff at cost. Or you can have me send lots of complaining emails to you and various consumer protection organisations, along with posting some reviews about how terrible dillenger's customer service is on forums like endless-sphere and reddit. It's up to you.

On 13/08/2014, at 9:48 AM, Lorien Dunn <loriendunn@gmail.com> wrote:

Are the old display/battery meter and throttle compatible with the new controller? If they are or unless you guys have some black magic to make the old sensor and ring fit an octalink BB properly; I'd be better off with the new controller, sensor, and magnet ring.
To make the old sensor fit I had to file out the inside of that aluminium bracket so it would fit on the bike at all, drill out the inside of the magnet ring so it would fit over the BB shaft, bend and glue the sensor so it wasn't constantly grinding the magnet ring, and cable tie the magnet ring to the chain ring. I destroyed my first sensor trying, and getting it working and the front deraileur working together took about 5 days of solid fiddling. The cable ties holding the magnet ring to the chain ring are wearing through too- it was never a good solution, but it worked.
Really this should be a warranty issue, as nothing on the site, documentation, or conversations I had with dillenger said anything about problems with unusual bottom brackets. Though it isn't really dillenger's fault either, but there should have been mention of problems with octalink, ISIS, and hollowtech bottom brackets so I could have checked before buying the kit. Maybe send me this stuff at cost price?
It's no problem re-wiring things, I'm very good with electronics. I'd just like a pedal assist sensor that fits properly and doesn't mess with my front gears. If it fitted properly it wouldn't have failed now.
thanks.

In the interests of balance on this thread - (personally I don't think it is an appropriate comparison of Dillinger vs Chinese suppliers)

I have a dillinger kit, I'm in Australia (but another timezone), it works, was good value for money, it is made up of good components, I had an installation issue (my bad), they helped me sort it out, after several months and hundreds of miles it developed a controller issue, they diagnosed it correctly and very quickly, it took a while for the new part to be sent from their supplier in China, this was under their warranty and cost me nothing (except for the disappointment of missing my e-bike), new controller worked 1st time when I plugged it in, the kit works perfectly.

YMMV

if you wanna take your old controller apart then we can look at it and offer you help in learning how to fix it.

we kinda think of this place as a source of information to the newbies who know nothing about electronics or the technology behind the little BLDC hub motors and their controllers and the batteries and BMSs and charger they use.

now it seems to have become the place where people come to publicly trash the seller they bought their equipment from.

if you wanna go beyond the level of those who need other people to do that kinda work then this is the place.

you can start your own thread about the controller and people will help you figure out how to fix it.

it really is rewarding when you actually fix something. something you knew nothing about up until that point.

plus when you learn to fix your stuff, it reduces the risk of being stranded when your bike has a problem.

with just little training you can learn to diagnose the problems and fix them.

reading other peoples problems and how they get fixed is educational. it can save you a lotta frustrating hours and get you past blaming others.

I had a problem with my Dillenger kit when the pedelec system failed and Sam sent me a new sensor AND a controller so I could get it sorted quickly.
Turned out to be the sensor at fault so I now have a spare controller ready in case of any future problem(or to use on another kit perhaps).
It did take a couple of e-mails to get the ball rolling but once I got in touch with Sam it was sorted very quickly.
Seeing as I am halfway round the world from Oz I think I think a 4 day service is second to none.

Still no pedelc cable from Dillenger as promised 3 weeks ago. These people are so full of shit. Save yourself the trouble and do not patronize this company. My belief is that this company was set up by some kid who's daddy is very rich for some thing for him to do. Typical rich kid doesn't give a shit about anybody but himself and has no appreciation for something actually worked for and earned.

Plus read the responses from Dillenger concerning another customers problems. I you talked to me like that to my face your next words would be from flat on your arrogant ass.

I am responding in order to balance this thread. I had a problem with my 350w kit, but once Sam was aware of my predicament he resolved the issue courteously. A new controller, which eliminated the problem, arrived in less than a week, great service from another continent. Thanks again, Sam.

metalmangler76 said:

Perhaps don't come into the forum with an agenda, I really cant see what your so overwhelmingly pissed off about. I've never heard of anyone else having problems like that with their service. Perhaps the arrogant and self serving way you've handled it has made things difficult. "Avoid at all costs"......Bitch please, they are community members and I've seen a number of times where they very proficiently handle problems. The only arrogance I see is your complete lack of willingness to come to the table on an issue that could have been resolved quite simply.
According to your other posts, your initial trouble was because 'you' stuffed it up, not because their was a problem with the equipment they supplied. Then you bag the guys who helped you because it didn't fit your timeline. That my friend, is arrogance.
This is a friendly community, discuss your problems and seek a resolution, don't walk in being an litigious wanker threatening people. and besides, its not a huge investment, you've got a wee little motor and a wee little battery. If you had a big setup and had invested thousands like some of us have, then I'd understand your frustration being so extreme. Good luck, I hope you get your bike sorted in the end, and you pull your head out of your ass :lol:

Just another balancing comment, I have been using a 1000w rear kit from Dillenger for over 6 months now without incident. I did have a few issues that needed to be resolved but Sam helped out and I am now a happy customer. I do believe strongly you get what you pay for and these kits are a cheap reasonable quality entry point into the world of Ebikes! All I need now is more power and more range :twisted:

I love how a person can come on here with the intention of harming a company and end up achieving the exact opposite result. it renews my faith in humanity.

now back to reading the comments section following news stories.

metalmangler76 said:
Still no pedelec cable from Dillenger. Now tell me how great of a company they are.

In one of your emails to them you said "You people are total assholes.". Oh and lol, you told them not to contact you anymore. Make your mind up!

I'm not suprised they've stopped dealing with you and for one I applaud them for it.

Being a customer doesn't give you the right to talk to them like s**t.

Reality is the best comedy.

Seems like a good price for what you get if looking for a stealthy e-bike conversion. 566$ on kickstarter. :idea:

This week I had time to install A Dillinger kit to my Giant 29er.
The hub when it arrived was already scratched in many places. The rim has scratch marks where the spokes have been tightened.

On the rear hub three out of the six disk brake treads were of such a depth that the supplied socked headed cap screws bottomed out before they contacted thread. They were either stripped out or they were drilled incorrectly. Socked headed bolts had to be manufactured and the holes re-tapped. surprisingly the problem holes were all on one side in a row. The other three holes were not a problem.

The computer display when removed from its box had a fog inside the display that is reminiscent of a LCD that has water inside it, There is no doubt that as it's a sealed unit it is likely to fail latter due to the water already inside it.

The rear rack is not suitable for a rear suspension bike. It is only 50mm from the tire when mounted.

If I did not know better I would suggest this kit has been returned and then repacked and re-sent.
I purchased an Australian made kit to keep jobs in Australia. The Chinese kits I have seen are cheaper, have a better finish and better quality control. We have to do better if Australian business is to survive the cheap imports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back