All about BALANCE

jmartinweil

1 µW
When I was 30 years old I rode a fine 'road-bike', then when I was 40 I rode a nice, early model of a Bianchi 'mountain-bike'. When I was 50 I was in a devastating auto accident. Through the 60's surgeries and recoveries would not allow me to use my left leg. Finally, when I was 70 my leg that was crushed in the accident left me no options but amputation. I used my old friendly, Mt. Bike to create my own e-bike. After all, I couldn't ride with my crushed leg but at 74 I could use my prosthetic leg to provide a minimum of needed thrust.

My 36V, 500W rear drive motor worked wonderfully, BUT, I was unable to maintain any balance. The cause of the imbalance was not diagnosed, it could be the head injury in the wreck, or my amputation, or it could be my advancing age.
I have decided to create a front wheel drive, 26" tricycle. I am now 77 and accept that my adventure-drive is limited, I don't have a need for speed. I don't need aggressive terrain power, my area has plenty of flat bike-paths. I spend winter in Sun City West, AZ. I didn't see any e-trike but thousands of street-legal golf-carts and 10,000 seniors my age and older.

All of you are going to be facing the prospect of 'compromised-balance'. An option is the stabilizer wheels but they also require a sense of semi-balance. I am a 6'3", 230 lb. dude....recumbent is not an option with an old body and one leg.
I need your insight, experience, suggestions, ideas, guidance, and help in selection of what you would assemble. I know 50 amputees and would gladly share your advice with them after I build my own e-trike...SOMEDAY you are going to need this information...thanks, j

The tadpole trikes are a favorite for those with one problem or another. Especially if the balance is so far gone a regular saddle won't work. Terra Trike is a popular brand.

I talk to lots of people interested in a "disability" ebike at my work. Sometimes they have no legs, or are paraplegics and pedal with their arms, using an adaptive trike.

Others don't like the low recumbent trikes, and favor the worksman, Schwinn meridian, sun, etc. Those are the taller, "adult trikes". They can work well for those with enough balance to still sit on a saddle, or seat that is higher.

Any of the upright trikes should work, like the Schwinns, or even better, the Worksman trikes. The Worksman Eagle EAG-2F uses dual hand brakes, which makes it better than most for your needs. Most other trikes use a coaster brake or no brake for the rear. If you are mechanically inclined, it shouldn't be too difficult to add a hand brake to the rear of most other bikes, though.

I would suggest a tadpole trike with a seat height as low as you are comfortable with, (an office chair with arms works best for me, if you are powered extra weight is not a problem) easy to get in and out of, widest wheel base you can get away with, every one that has a Works-man type delta trike that I have talked to has had cg too high complaints, tip over problems- do to road crowns, turning into a sloped driveway, not going over a speed bump at 90 degrees, or one wheel over bump, not both at the same time. I road a Works-man delta a few times, 10mph was too fast for me, wear-as on my tadpole I have gone down hills coasting to around 30+mph, on flat roads my top speed is 15mph, (fast enough to crash with :)) hills lug down the motor a little/lot.

8) :idea: IMG_0097.JPGCOOPERS PICTURES 006.JPGHI JMARTIN, You are about 6 yrs older than me and a lot bigger. I understand you problems to,I spent most of my life as an IRONWORKER and that took it's toll on back,legs,arms anD ass. when I was younger I could walk everthing but a tightrope but no more. I have made a couple of meridian trikes and lowered the saddle seat down to 26in. from ground. now a lot of people don't like the meridian but it can be made into one of the best trikes out there, the forks and rear end are strong steel and can be welded on and the frame is strong alum. you have to do some upgradeslike i did and that cost a lot more than the trike it's self but it was worth it, my blue one I made into a rear suspension and i will someday add a front suspension fork maybe. the red trike is my wifes trike and I did not do as much to it since she does not like to go over 20mph, my blue trike will do 30mph in an instant. I hope this encourages you to keep your dream alive, I will try and post a couple of photos. happy riding my friend. COOPER.

I've ordered a front hub, Li-ion battery, controller and torque-arm for the e-trike I am building. The final part I am going to need is the trike. I have decided to use the Schwinn Meridian trike for my purposes. I got a hint from ES to lower the seat and slightly shift the position toward the rear. The center of gravity is lowered and the trike pedaling is more like a
semi-recumbent. I have a prosthetic leg so I don't have an ankle...it is not impossible but my leg power is compromised.
Should I consider getting a 3 speed geared trike in order to semi-assist the movement of the trike and thereby extend the distance of my adventures? I have used ES to learn about the e-bike build.....I am 77 and eagerly anticipate the experience... j

Hey Bluestreak....
Great photos of your Meridian builds. I intend to create something similar. I can't see how the seat is mounted, it doesn't seem to be connected to the regular seat-post. Did you assemble a frame for the seat? I've found very expensive
semi-recumbent bike seats but it seems your design is more appropriate. I appreciate your help....I am going to use the Meridian seat just to get a ride and then make the more relaxed lower CG as a modification project...j

Hi, I think it is great that you are putting in so much effort to overcome something terrible that happened to you.

In regards to a trike, Have you considered a bull frog trike? These are the type with 2 separate forks in the front and busy looking steering apparatus but they seem a bit more "bike-like" than the recumbants, semi-recumbants or even the conventional trikes.

The only one being made that I have seen is the Rungu Juggernaut.

Fat bike:

View attachment 1

Fat rear and 2 29er forks:

I wish you well with whatever decision you make.

HI J MARTIN, Sorry I haven't had a chance to post more photos and info. that might be helpful. it's spring here in tampa.fl. and the pollen is keeping me inside. will post as soon as I can. COOPER.

IMG_0141.JPGIMG_0136.JPGIMG_0138.JPGView attachment 3IMG_0135.JPGIMG_0134.JPGIMG_0133.JPGIMG_0131.JPGIMG_0130.JPGView attachment 10IMG_0128.JPGIMG_0127.JPGmaybe I can get several in a row,this photo thing is still new to me.I might have missed some, now J M yoy will have to get new double wall rims and have them laced if vyoy get the meridian trike these will work for a while before you have to replace them, add heavy duty thick tubes, the spokes and hub are ok, the metal backrest you see came with that high dollar recumbent seat kit, the saddle seat complete kit is what you need and I used old wicker chairs backs for my backrest it has a spring like feel when you lean back,the box with batterys and tools is just 1/2in cabinet plywood and the trunk is for motorcycles, the backrest cover came with the metal frame seat kit,i hope these photos will help. now remember to look at the meridian trike at k-mart or walmart and mybe sit on it because you have long legs just to make sure it will fit when you start moving back and down the saddle seat.IMG_0132.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,402
Ohhh. Good thread/topic! Just blew past 60 rev's around Sol, but shortly before that went for a tumble down some stairs (So I am told. Broken shoulder, broken ribs, multiple brain injuries.) Spent a week in a coma in a hospital bed then on day eight opened my eyes. Today still stagger like a drunken sailor. (They "suffered" from gaining their "sea legs"/balance on pitching decks, then returning to dry land.)

Having pedaled a two wheeler on/off most of my life, first cheapo trike was a sit up, with front wheel hubbie with 48V about 10Ah-full of some lithium-flavoured battery. Frame fell apart/disassembled itself while in motion. (And I have one broken wrist now to prove it.)

So I went recumbent trike (see ES thread "Converting Hammacher Schlemmer cheapo trike":
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Note trike has no chain. Direct drive w/pedal arms attached to front wheel axle. So far have established trike has infinite range of speeds, from slow to something other than completely stopped. But disconcerted with high speeds (on road down hills, pedals have front wheel "free wheel"). One eyewitness suggested I was making 20kph (Cdn. km's) when I last did sideways rollover.

So def. gotta add a rear braking mechanism (note trike only has one front wheel brake.).

... and current thinking to just go with front wheel friction drive. Have added already front basket/handlebars only as platform to add instrumentation and lights and sound signaling device of some sort. More weight in front basket, not good (frame wiggles). So LiFePO4 pack to be added behind seat, I figure. (Life long sailor also plans small spanker sail on back on taller mast (than supplied whip flag pole) to add assist to the assist. Spanker?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanker_%28sail%29

See also re "visibility" for others.

Anyway... Will update other thread if/as things develop.

Cheers
L

Thanks to Bluestreak for the well produced films. Your engineering skills are enviable. I can see I will have to be inventive to design something that will fit my bulk. You provided me and others e-trikers some great ideas and you have been a good example.
CH00pakabra, your Juggernaut looks like a mountain bike I would have rode when I was 25+. Down hill rides wouldn't require a drive motor....gravity sucks.
LockH.....I sounds like you have had to cope with what all us oldsters have had to contend. Bangs, breaks, fractures and compromised joints they all add up....some guys try to find excuses why to avoid challenges....others become examples. The amputees I associate with are hikers, scuba divers, runners, bike peddlers, and skiers. Ten years ago I converted some 20" BMX bikes and fitted 30" skis front and back. For the last 10 years I have taught amputees how to ride ski-bikes. The same ski principles apply...edge, lean and slight handlebar movements let me ski any slope. Just for the heck of it go to youtube and enter ski-bike and see the variety of bikes being used. I don't have an ankle so I had to sit on the banana seat.....One of my greatest contributions was teaching Wounded Warriors and experiencing their thrill of the challenge. These young guys are true, brave heroes...j

What I did not mention is that I am 77 years old, 200 lbs, and have a balance problem that comes an goes, I don't think I will ever ride a 2 wheeler again. My tadpole trike with a office chair, (front seating, no leg over) uses 20" front wheels, with me on it they are loaded to around 50lbs each, with most of the load on the rear wheel which is a 16" 750lb rated dot tire, long life, (thick rubber, flat resistant) no spokes, no over loading problem, rock solid riding. Motor, single stage reduction, (no freewheel) being able to use electric braking, and keeping the max speed down to 15~mph.

What a nice thread to read first thing in the morning. great to see people pushing thru adversity and over coming challenges.

Also good info for the back of my head. Please keep us updated j as you progress. My positive thoughts are with you.

Back