Santa..Help! Sabvoton controller/Throttle not working :(

Kitfox5

10 mW
My Raptor 140 sitting now going on 3 months.. It would be of great help to be able to 'know what to ask' but in regards to finding the proper relevant information to assess just WHY it does not want to work, I don't know the kinds of questions to ask :( what are good, knowledgeable questions to come up with pertaining to unknown factors in this instance?

Here is what I got, a Sabvoton 60150 newest generation motor controller, a CAv3DP, cromotor v3, a 3-wire thumb throttle from eBay for 5 bucks.. NOTHING seems to be outfitted to connect to one another, or at least compatible, I have successfully cleared most all the faults from the Sabvoton software...but no response with the throttle I am using...should I buy a Magura throttle? Scrap my bike for parts? Set it on fire like one of those YT vids....aaahh...this is driving me CrAzY!!
What should I do? (I feel like I am going through a midlife crisis this is so stressful I am only in my late 30's jeezuus.)

Tell me more ...........have you connected the throttle to the CA or directly to the controller? When you power up the software how many volts does the "Throttle voltage" box show?

Jonno

I will put together a picture or drawing of the schematic that help shows which things are connected to the CAv3DP and the throttle, the Sabvoton controller etc. and do it (hopefully tonight)
Thank you for your interest :)

Here is a start of what I am doing in regards to connecting the 3-wire thumb throttle to the cycle analyst..although I have effectively confirmed the throttle works, in theory, as the voltage changes on the readout to th CA. But the Cycle Analyst IS NOT CONNECTED to the Sabvoton. How do I do that? Which wires are supposed to be going from the controller to the CA? I'm baffled.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 3,142
Hi,
The 1st thing is the CA V3 plugs into the socket that your throttle is in and then the throttle plugs into the 3 wire plugs (red+ black- and green signal one)on the CA V3 . - There are 2 one is for the throttle and the other is for a 3 speed switch. The throttle bar on the display should now rise and fall as you accelerate. Disconnect the Cromotor before you try this as you don't want to start the motor at this point.

Let me know when it's done and then we'll do the next bit.

Jonno

Jonno, Thank you thank you thank you!!
Yes currently my display does already show currently that the throttle DOES rise and fall accordingly to when it is depressed.
AND it's range is approximately .88 volt to 4.48 volts. Also, is their a schematic or some thing to refer to follow along as you help me?

:D What faults does the sabvoton software show you?

Set the CA throttle THO min to 0.67v and the THI min to about 0.84v so that 0.0% is shown on "the setup throttle in page"
Also set the throttle control mode to "pass thru"

look up Cycle analyst v3 pdf for a manual on google.
You should have a file called SSC new manual when you downloaded the sabvoton software for the controller wiring.

Happy New Year :D

Jonno

Yes Happy New year indeed. The snow has barely started here in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest..looking forward to it actually. :) I will do as you suggest with the 'Pass thru' mode on the CA and let you know when I do that next and what becomes of it.
Hey Jonno, I am not sure whether you follow any electric science stuff on YT, but a man on there named Robert Murray Smith has made cool advances toward longer electric motorbike batteries using homemade hemp batteries, of all things, instead of using lithium. (I am replicating some of his work on it) let me know what you think of his videos! :)

I don't have any faults between the communication with the controller to the software, but then again,..I don't have the throttle connected to the controller either. However I Was at one time having a 'motor over temp' fault reading..I cleared that up, so no more problems there. There is times when I will run a 'hall sensor test' and it sometimes will fail (the attempts in all cases to do a hall sensor tests have proved VERY ambiguous with passed AND failed testing both barely able to make a 1/4 turn of the wheel, being extremely minutia and jerky movements..sometimes it has "passed" ..which I have no idea why :-/

I have set the CA v3 values as you have suggested. Now, when my CA is connected to the thumb throttle it reads .89 volt and when it is fully depressed it reads 4.24 volts.

Excellent,

The problem you now have is that your speed/temp sensor wire from the motor is giving wrong info to the controller so you need to bypass it.

All you need to do is cut the yellow speed/temp wire from the sabvoton to the cycle analyst and also cut the wire on the hall sensor plug (probably white) that sits between the red and the black. cut this on the sabvoton side of the plug.

Now join the wire from the motor to the yellow Cycle Analyst plug to bypass the controller. As you have probably worked out this wire this needs an earth to obtain -55 degrees in the sabvoton software.

Check that your THO min on the CA is set less than the closed throttle reading on the sabvoton software by about 0.25v

Make sure the wheel is off the ground and ..........turn on the power and do the hall test.

......... and don't get too excited when the wheel goes round! :D

Jonno

Yes I shall do that today and report back in several hours, I am snowed in today, no work, so that will give me some considerable opportunity to work out the 'kinks' with my electric bike and also weld up my rocket mass heater project today. Thanks Jonno! 8)

Jonno said:
Excellent,

The problem you now have is that your speed/temp sensor wire from the motor is giving wrong info to the controller so you need to bypass it.

All you need to do is cut the yellow speed/temp wire from the sabvoton to the cycle analyst and also cut the wire on the hall sensor plug (probably white) that sits between the red and the black. cut this on the sabvoton side of the plug.

Now join the wire from the motor "....what color wire from the cromotor are we talking about here?"to the yellow Cycle Analyst plug to bypass the controller. As you have probably worked out this wire this needs an earth to obtain -55 degrees in the sabvoton software.

Check that your THO min on the CA is set less than the closed throttle reading on the sabvoton software by about 0.25v

Make sure the wheel is off the ground and ..........turn on the power and do the hall test.

......... and don't get too excited when the wheel goes round! :D
I

Jonno

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 3,099
wait 5 mins..........................

......or the opposite way if the sabvoton is at the top and not at the bottom :?

Ok try this version. You should be left with 2 yellow wires to the sabvoton where you bypassed it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg2.jpg
    image.jpeg2.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 3,092
...........I'll make some coffee then :)

Meanwhile this is my bike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ozVDtj7zo4

Bought from Craig a few months ago

try putting your resistor back in line and if it still says the same cut the link wire between the yellow and black. Should go then.

More coffee?

Back