Dogman Dans E bike burns his house.

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
wineboyrider
100 MW
100 MW

Re: Dogman Dans E bike burns his house.

Post by wineboyrider » Oct 23, 2017 8:59 am

Have a nice fairing on mine, but yeah my legs got wet riding through Ruidoso about a month ago. Already had to change the oil on it and I have put around 4,000 miles on it. Paid 2200 for it. :D
ES IS SAVED! THANK YOU JUSTIN.

dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Oct 26, 2017 6:06 am

Only a couple months each year a ride in the mountains is wet anyway. Fairings are good, after about 200-300 miles of riding, you feel it in the back and arms if you have to fight that wind pressure all day. And anyway, you are 120 miles round trip closer to the mts than I am. I really liked the Ruidoso- Ft Stanton, Lincoln circle ride. But I've also been looking at getting some kind of enduro motorcycle. So much good dirt right at my driveway at home to ride.

Another couple days, you'll be able to flip a switch, and the lights go on in the house. New cabinets are in now, so we are very close to 100% complete on the inside. Outside, some more coats of stucco and soffit trim is all that is left.

Can't wait to go HOME! I'm so sick of driving through downtown to get to where I sleep. At first it was cool, walk distance to 9 kinds of fast food. Now, I'm just sick of the smell of sonic burgers filling the house. Shoulda got a place upwind of all that stink.

wineboyrider
100 MW
100 MW

Post by wineboyrider » Oct 26, 2017 8:56 am

My 88 K100 was the best of both worlds for street riding. Fast, great seating position and had a great fairing for long rides. Also, it didn't rattle at all and got 60 mpg!
ES IS SAVED! THANK YOU JUSTIN.

dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Oct 31, 2017 7:05 am

Getting so close I can taste it. Might get to move home next week.

Ykick
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Ykick » Oct 31, 2017 12:29 pm

Happy for you Dan! Enjoy, the new'ish digs....
Talent must not be wasted.... Those who have talent must hug it, embrace it, nurture it and share it lest it be taken away from you as fast as it was loaned to you.

- Frank Sinatra

dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Nov 30, 2017 6:45 am

Man, I can't believe how long it took to get the house finished, but it's done, and we turn over the rental house today.

It should have taken a week more by nov 1st, but instead it dragged on till thanksgiving instead. First it takes them two weeks to hang some cabinets and set counter tops. Same thing I used to do regularly in two days. (two workers)

Then more flunked inspections, on electrical. One item the electricians needed to fix was my furnace. It blew but would not get hot. They came back twice, claiming both times it was fine, but still no warm. Finally I turn off the breaker, and pop off the cover myself. The heater, electric, had three of the four big fat wires disconnected at the breakers. They tightened the lug, but the wire was not in the hole. They cut them too short. Fortunately there was a half inch of slack I could yank down from the attic.

Good thing there was a dumbass carpenter around to figure it out. :roll:

But now we are home, and the dogs so much happier. They can hang out in the yard all day, instead of 15 min at most at a time like the rental. Daisy would just hurt herself trying to get over the wall to kill the dog next door at the rental. All our stuff is back from the cleaners, but completely mixed up. When they took it, they photographed every single item, logging which room its from. Then when cleaning and boxing back up, they just mixed it up like it was a lottery drawing. Every single box has shit from 2-4 different rooms in it. One box had wine glasses on the bottom, then on top, two crock pots and two pressure cookers. Way to go guys. It's making packing back in 4 times harder. But its all squeaky clean, completely free of burning car tires smell. So that's better than dumping it for sure. But we still loath it that anybody touched our shit. We are happy to be home, but every box puts us back in a bad mood.

Loving all the house upgrades we paid for. Much better stove, fridge, and washer. The new kitchen has a much more efficient layout, and tons more light with the new door to the living/dining room. The new layout will allow most cooking, including clean up, to require very few steps back and forth, despite the large size kitchen. (used to be kitchen and dining) When we are in a walker later on, we'll still be able to cook a nice dinner, without much stumping around back and forth like the old kitchen design forced. The whole house is now geriatric ready for when we need it. We won't have to fix it all in a rush later when we find ourselves in a walker or chair. Handicap ready bathrooms are nice at any age.

Less cash left at the end than we thought, because of the many upgrades we have bought. but still some to put in savings. So wiping out our savings last year is at least replaced.

footloose
10 kW
10 kW

Post by footloose » Nov 30, 2017 12:18 pm

Congratulations!
Rebuilt and upgraded place sounds great.
Heck of a path to get there but a good outcome.

Surprising how few houses are geriatric ready.
Even if I don't need it today, going to in another few years (with luck,
always assuming I'm not pushing up daisies by then).
Starting to look at retirement years house. Not many are designed
with any thought about mobility.

dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Dec 01, 2017 6:30 am

Our master bath did not even have a decent place to put the tp hanger designed in, let alone handicap bars near the shitter. Just before the fire I had started remodeling that bath. By flipping the door to swing out, I could at least add a bar just in front of the toilet. Then with the taller, long bowl toilet, now you can scootch forward to where you can reach the bar, and hang on while standing up. Nobody handicapped here yet, but its amazing how quick you learn to use the bar to stand up. It's just easier, using the bar to help you up.

The last detail left is the master bath shower, which is now a tub. Insurance money from things that burned up in the garage will pay for replacing that with a regular shower, that will be better without the step over into the tub we have now.

After about a week in the upgraded house, I'm liking it more and more. Putting the dishes away from the dishwasher is so easy. Standing in one spot, I can put away 100% of the china and silver, only walking two steps to put away the plastic. Used to be nowhere to put anything away less than 6 steps from the dishwasher, because of the stupid location of the door to the garage. Whats even weirder, dishes are truly clean from the high dollar , very quiet, dishwasher. Similarly, the first load from the new washer. Similarly with the new front load washer that we got yesterday. First load, I was thinking somebody switched my socks. Where's my grey socks? they look brand new now.

The fingers
100 GW
100 GW

Post by The fingers » Dec 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Accessibility is great but hard to find on the housing market. Took three months to get this house which just has no steps. Taller, longer toilets and grab bars in the bathroom are great to add also, as are sliding pocket doors which make them wider to get a wheelchair through.
Now when I come in from my garage into the house I find myself constantly stepping onto thin air becaise of being used to having to go up to leave the garage at our old house.. :lol:
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Dec 03, 2017 2:53 am

The fingers wrote:
Dec 02, 2017 2:51 pm
Now when I come in from my garage into the house I find myself constantly stepping onto thin air becaise of being used to having to go up to leave the garage at our old house.. :lol:
I did that for a long while, too, after the post-fire rebuild. The back room used to have a several-inch-high step up from it into the kitchen, because it's slab was much lower than the house's. Sometimes I would fall because of it. Because it was not built to code (and teh slab was disintegrating anyway), the whole back room was torn down and rebuilt (even though that room was farthest from the fire with zero damage other than smoke on the cieling and walls).

A worse problem was that to meet code they added the absolute minimum sized "stoop" just outside the back door, so it is a huge tripping/falling hazard, coming up on it just before I go in the door it's bigger than a step would be, but smaller than a porch, and even now, 3.5 years later, I still sometimes trip on it and end up either on my face on teh floor in the back room (if the back door is open), or slamming into the back door (if it's closed) and bouncing off and landing on the concrete stoop.

As I've had time and energy (and been able to keep projects off the area) I've been working on digging up the old brick "porch" I'd built years ago. it was buried under a lot of dirt and concrete debris, etc., from when they tore out the old back room's slab. Then I'm taking those bricks and adding them around the "stoop" so it isn't quite so sudden a thing coming out or going in the back door, and also eventually to make it a ramp up, instead of 6"+ jump from teh ground to the top of the stoop.

dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Dec 10, 2017 7:19 am

Funny how even little changes mess with you after you live someplace a long time. Another thing we changed here is removing the glass shower door on the master bath tub. I rarely used that shower because I constantly scraped a new bald spot on my head on the top frame if I did. Now it has a curtain, with the bar a good foot above my head.

I still duck getting in and out, and likely will for a decade or so. :lol:

Starting to feel better here now, our art is on the walls, and things we use a lot can be found. Loving the new kitchen layout more and more. So few steps to do each task, in a very large kitchen. It used to be a lot of running back and forth, because they put a door in a shitty place. Moved that door 4 feet and it changed everything.

Advice to anybody else with a fire or flood, don't let the service pro guys take so much. Get more of your wardrobe out. Get more of your library out, and clean it yourself. Don't let them take your electronic stuff at all. We thought we'd be able to get into the box and get what we needed later when we got into a rental house, but that turned out to be more or less impossible, plus a 50 buck fee.

swbluto
100 GW
100 GW

Post by swbluto » Dec 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Think I'm going to make it a standard policy all flammable goods get put in the detached steel shed when I get things fully set up. To make the shed waterproof, I put a tarp over it. Still need to stake it down, it blows off, lol.

dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Dec 11, 2017 7:41 am

For the cheap steel shed roof, you might try elastomeric paint combined with fabric reinforcing strip. Paint down the strip over all seams, and fasteners. then paint the whole roof with another coat. One gallon should easily do a 10x 10 shed.

My little tin shed sits on 4x4 landscape timbers, making it slightly taller once inside. Screwed to those, its not blowing away now. I let mine leak, since all there is in there is old bikes, and parts.