Any eTrike owners here?

sonnetg

1 kW
Hello,
I am curious to learn more on Electric trikes, especially the recumbent types. I have never ridden or owned a trike before, but I would like to learn more.

It seems the recumbent trikes are more comfortable than riding a bicycle, but hauling such a heavy trike could be an issue. Also given I live in a condo, parking or storage may be another issue. That being said, owners of trikes seem to be very happy with owning these beautiful machines. Makes me almost want to dive in the world of recumbent trikes.

Is investing in a electric recumbent trike worth it?

Please share any pros and cons of Trikes. Would love to hear your experiences.

Last but not least, a picture of your setup would be great (eg: Mid Drive or Hub motor setup and such).

Thank you so much,

Some existing info:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=*trike&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Some are existing trikes converted, some are bought pre-motorized, several, like mine, are custom-built as electric.

Wow...amberwolf. Thanks for the search link. I did do a search with the keyword "trike" in the subject line, but it didn't seem to come up with so many links, or I may not have looked hard enough. I will definitely look up the links, but would like to follow this thread as well. I suppose it couldn't hurt to have a consolidated Trike thread..

Thank you,

Maybe but probably not. I got a smokin' deal on a KMX Typhoon for $700 on E-bay, no electronics. You can get a lot more of a bike diamond-frame for $700.

pros:
-comfortable (I've taken a nap in mine before)
-efficient (better aero).

My trike got me started on a whole cross-country trike riding kick. I started with little baby 50 milers, then 100 miles 200 milers, and most recently 251 miles. I couldn't get anything close to that with my mountain bike both by merit of the efficiency but also the saddle comfort.

cons:
-you can't "bunny hop": a tool you find out that you need way more than you think. Every time you come to a curb you have to get out of your trike and haul the thing up and over the hump.
-getting run over: You are riding along staring up at undercarriages of big trucks and car grills and tires right there at eye level, no squeezing down a tiny shoulder of the road- you are stuck sharing a lane of traffic if there isn't much of a shoulder.
-I've right nearly been bitten in the butt by a snake, you can't pull your legs up and clear like with a diamond frame.

I'm mostly a hub motor user with the exception of off-road toys.

Endless-sphere won't let me post my trike picture by merit of the picture exceeding 512 kilobytes (What year is this!)

gpg3k75.jpg

parajared said:

Maybe but probably not. I got a smokin' deal on a KMX Typhoon for $700 on E-bay, no electronics. You can get a lot more of a bike diamond-frame for $700.

pros:

My trike got me started on a whole cross-country trike riding kick. I started with little baby 50 milers, then 100 miles 200 milers, and most recently 251 miles. I couldn't get anything close to that with my mountain bike both by merit of the efficiency but also the saddle comfort.

cons:
-you can't "bunny hop": a tool you find out that you need way more than you think. Every time you come to a curb you have to get out of your trike and haul the thing up and over the hump.
-getting run over: You are riding along staring up at undercarriages of big trucks and car grills and tires right there at eye level, no squeezing down a tiny shoulder of the road- you are stuck sharing a lane of traffic if there isn't much of a shoulder.
-I've right nearly been bitten in the butt by a snake, you can't pull your legs up and clear like with a diamond frame.

Endless-sphere won't let me post my trike picture by merit of the picture exceeding 512 kilobytes (What year is this!)

Thank you, parajared. You pretty much summed it up very nicely. One of the biggest reason is I am having back pains lately while riding a standard bike. No matter what diamond frame I use, the pain just wont go away. As I age, my body seems to be craving a recumbent saddle of some sort. As for weight, these etrikes can be quite heavy to lift (80+ lbs), so not sure how that would help my back. Hence, I opened up this thread. Hopefully I can learn from experienced users like you. Hauling the trikes could be nearly impossible with a bike rack. One might need a truck to haul these trikes or ride on the road to hit the trail.

I am still going through the links amberwolf has posted. A lot of good information out there indeed. I might start saving up for a nice recumbent etrike to use down the line. It may not be my regular ride, but every once in a while I would love to indulge myself on the trails with a recumbent eTrike.

Cheers.

parajared said:

pros:

cons:

gpg3k75.jpg

Just use freeimageoptimizer to make the file smaller. I do that to all my photos. they tend to be several megabytes when shot from my phone camera.

Picture size issue - Use Irfanview

Trikes have the problem of storage as well, plus bus bike racks, maybe too big for the train.
Thats all that comes to my mind.

Oh and one last thing, there is no squeezing between objects like you can do on a bicycle.

IrfanView ftw - batch convert + rename

Trike:. Absolutely love my recumbent tadpole
Gets up on two wheels

Bumpy ride
Very dangerous ... Wide and low...

If I had it to do over I would spend more on suspension.

I am actually pulling mine out of storage this week and it will be my daily.
Nothing feels more intense then leaning back and rolling into that throttle...

Go big on power.
A 9C will rock in 20" with 100V but... A cromotor won't fall off as fast... And mid drive probably better yet.

I will build mine with whatever I can find...

-methods

sonnetg said:
I did do a search with the keyword "trike" in the subject line, but it didn't seem to come up with so many links, or I may not have looked hard enough.
I used
*trike
as the search term, but even so it still doesn't pull up all the threads with trike in the title, as there's my main SB Cruiser thread that doesn't pull up, for instance (though it finds my other two).

A search for
*trike
in the first posts of threads, listing by topic, will probably find more, but they probably arent' all relevant either.

I will definitely look up the links, but would like to follow this thread as well. I suppose it couldn't hurt to have a consolidated Trike thread..
There actually was one, that should have come up in that search, but I can't find it. Was called something like "what kind of trike do you ride?", and I think there was another that had been called "do you ride a trike?" or "how many of you ride a trike?" but I don't see either of them in any search I can think of. :/

sonnetg said:
It seems the recumbent trikes are more comfortable than riding a bicycle,
Depends on your body (especially back) condition, but for me, a semi-recumbent bike or trike is much better than a regular saddle bike or trike.

but hauling such a heavy trike could be an issue.
Since my trikes (and bikes) are my transportation, hauling them isn't something I really thought of. But if I needed to, I'd just haul one on the trailer with the other. ;)

Also given I live in a condo, parking or storage may be another issue.
Depends on the trike design; there are folding trikes, and some leaning trikes are narrow enough to easily fit thru a door. Not sure if most regular 'bent tadpoles would fit thru a door. The typical delta "schwinn" style trikes (not usually 'bent) are less than 36" wide so they'd fit thru a standard front door, but they're a lot longer than a typical tadpole.

Investing? No; I can't think of any vehicle or bike that really makes a good investment, as in something you can resell.

But if you mean is it worth getting one to ride? That entirely depends on your needs, desires, etc. You would have to define your needs, and establish your desires (by finding someone local to you with various kinds of trikes, because there are a LOT of designs, and each handles differently, and trying them out), before you could decide if it was worth having your own to ride around.

Please share any pros and cons of Trikes.
Same pros and cons of any other bike/vehicle, depending on the design and the usage of it. Some are big, some are small, some are wide, some are narrow, some light, some heavy, some handle like crap, some are a dream to ride, some are cheap, some are incredibly expensive, etc.

Last but not least, a picture of your setup would be great (eg: Mid Drive or Hub motor setup and such).

I use hubmotors right now, though I have plans to eventually setup a middrive once I can find a suitable transaxle in someone's junk pile. ;) It's running on 20" rear wheels with an MXUS 3K 45H for the left rear wheel, and an X5304 for the right rear wheel. Front is a regular 26" bike wheel (built a new one for it this past weekend) but may become a geared hubmotor at some point for 3WD / AWD, mostly for experimental purposes.

My main transportation for most of the last couple years has been the SB Cruiser 2WD cargo / dog carrier trike:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833
It's name is like the PT Cruiser, but for St Bernards. ;)

I don't have any trouble with being seen in traffic, day or night. ;)

But it's not small, and if I trimmed the axles and nuts of the hubmotors flush with the frame I might get it thru my front door....scraping the paint. ;)

I usually park it in a regular car parking spot when I go places. :lol:

(the Delta Tripper was the first trike, and while it was a lot smaller, it was not stable at any speed (Delta TIPper was it's nickname). Didn't have a lot of cargo space, or power to haul things, but it got me around for a lot of miles in the short time it was around; now much of it is part of SB Cruiser).

(The Raine Trike is planned to be a slightly smaller, lighter version of SB Cruiser)

Some pics of SB Cruiser below.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

(the blue top is now the brown top first pictured above, and it has the red covers on the triangle, but this is what it looks like with the dog crate in it)
file.php

file.php

This was Delta Tripper:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22720
file.php

file.php

file.php

amberwolf said:
sonnetg said:
I did do a search with the keyword "trike" in the subject line, but it didn't seem to come up with so many links, or I may not have looked hard enough.
I used
*trike
as the search term, but even so it still doesn't pull up all the threads with trike in the title, as there's my main SB Cruiser thread that doesn't pull up, for instance (though it finds my other two).

A search for
*trike
in the first posts of threads, listing by topic, will probably find more, but they probably arent' all relevant either.

I will definitely look up the links, but would like to follow this thread as well. I suppose it couldn't hurt to have a consolidated Trike thread..
There actually was one, that should have come up in that search, but I can't find it. Was called something like "what kind of trike do you ride?", and I think there was another that had been called "do you ride a trike?" or "how many of you ride a trike?" but I don't see either of them in any search I can think of. :/

Thanks Amerwolf, for the tips. I never thought of using "first post" as an option. Also, had no idea "wildcard" as an option, but it's good to know. I am still going through the search posts. Tons of good information out there already. I am also going through youtube videos from users. Back pain and serious ankle injury is really taking the joy out of my bike riding experience, so I really need a have a plan-b in place to be able to continue riding. Reading most of the post, it seems suspension and a fast motor is a must. Since I will have no way to haul it, I will have to ride it on the roads. These recumbent bikes are so low, it will take some nerve to ride these on the busy streets. And then there is a risk of flipping sideways with these fast trikes, but I am not sure how fast one needs to be riding to filp one.

You seemed to own several utilitarian trikes. How fast are your machines? Can you keep up in the traffic and busy streets? Drivers around here usually drive 45 mph in 35 mph zone. They usually get very impatient when cyclist takeing up a lane. Most drivers do give you the required 3 feet of space per Maryland law, but doing so can endanger other drivers using the opposing lane. And a trike can take up so much space. I am thinking of a mid-drive, due to it's efficiency (by that, I mean it would require less power than a non-geared hum motor like mxus and such). I would also need a trike which I can hawl a big battery. Still so much to learn..

Also Trike maintenance may be another thing to consider, since there are more moving parts to it, but i dont consider maintenance to be an issue, but it may require some time than I am used to giving my bicycles.

PS: By the way, I have seen the build pictures of the link you posted. It's amazing how you built these trikes from recycled parts. I wish I had welding and fabrication skills like you. Hats off to you!

sonnetg said:
Back pain and serious ankle injury is really taking the joy out of my bike riding experience, so I really need a have a plan-b in place to be able to continue riding.
You should find someone local and test ride various seat designs and heights. You may have problems getting in and out of very low laid-back 'bent seats, though it might be possible (depending on trike design) to add support bar/frame you can pull yourself up with and lower yourself down with.

You might find that a seat more like a normal chair (like mine), often called semi-recumbent, is easier on you with the problems you've got.

Reading most of the post, it seems suspension and a fast motor is a must. Since I will have no way to haul it, I will have to ride it on the roads. These recumbent bikes are so low, it will take some nerve to ride these on the busy streets.
That's one reason I don't build the lowracer types; it's just too dangerous in traffic, and if I can't ride in traffic there's too many places I simply can't go, which makes the whole thing impractical for transportation. Might be more fun with a lowracer, but I'm into all this as my main transportation.

So I built CrazyBike2 as my first 'bent (see my signature), and used the same basic seat height for SB Cruiser because it turned out to be the best practical compromise between low COG/handling, and visibility to others as well as ability to see the rest of the road myself. I end up about the same eye height as a typical car driver (whereas a typical bicycle puts the eyes up about where a small truck driver would be).

Regarding suspension--I only have front suspension, on either CrazyBike2 or SB Cruiser. None on Delta Tripper. Roads here aren't as bad as they could be, but there's some wheelbreaking stuff around. I use moped tires on SB Cruiser partly for that reason, as they are fatter and soak up the bumps pretty well for unsuspended small wheels on a heavy trike. I'm not sure but I might say they're as good as the front suspension fork is (suntour xcv?), which while not great is adequate for most of the stuff I encounter on an average trip.

And then there is a risk of flipping sideways with these fast trikes, but I am not sure how fast one needs to be riding to filp one.
That depends on the trike design, weight distribution, tires (traction they provide, including how aired up they are), road conditions, and rider skill. :)

It also depends on the speeds you're going, and whether you're using your judgment to avoid situations in which you'd have to make a turn at a speed higher than the trike and you could keep it rubber-side-down. ;)

You seemed to own several utilitarian trikes. How fast are your machines? Can you keep up in the traffic and busy streets?
Here in AZ, it's only legal to ride under 20MPH, so I'm not allowed to try to keep up.

So I avoid traffic situations, wherever possible, that I'd be creating a traffic hazard or delay to others--I'm not going to ride any distance on a 40MPH+ road in rush hour traffic, for instance. But most of the time I'm riding at night when traffic is a lot less anyway, or I'll pick a time during the day when I know traffic will be less, if I have to use a high-speed road.

Even so, there's occasionally an impatient driver--though almost all simply go around me in the next lane just as they would around any other slower traffic. That's partly due to the size of my trikes/bikes, and partly from their appearance, and the lighting. They do not look like bicycles, so they do not usually generate the same attitude/emotional reaction from drivers that bicycles do (even when the bicycles are moving at the same speed or even faster than I am, drivers actually get angry at them for even existing, sometimes).

Drivers around here usually drive 45 mph in 35 mph zone. They usually get very impatient when cyclist takeing up a lane. Most drivers do give you the required 3 feet of space per Maryland law, but doing so can endanger other drivers using the opposing lane. And a trike can take up so much space.
The only thing I can recommend is avoiding such situations, and if you can't avoid the roads, then time your trips on them to coincide with lower-traffic time periods.

I am thinking of a mid-drive, due to it's efficiency (by that, I mean it would require less power than a non-geared hum motor like mxus and such). I would also need a trike which I can hawl a big battery.
The middrive will almost certainly be more efficient especially in stop-start traffic, as long as you are shifting gears for it properly. If you aren't gearshifting, it's no different than a hubmotor for that part.

Also Trike maintenance may be another thing to consider, since there are more moving parts to it, but i dont consider maintenance to be an issue, but it may require some time than I am used to giving my bicycles.
It's just one extra wheel and the brakes/etc that go with it, as far as that goes. Tires can wear out faster because of scrub if it's a non-leaning trike; a leaner might have less of that depending on how it's designed and setup. Steering can be just as simple as a bike, or as complicated as a car, with equivalent maintenance for either, depends on design of trike.

My CrazyBike2 has remote steering, so it's got two headtubes/bearing sets/ steerers, plus the bearings in the linkage rod. So it's not as complicated as say, a USS tadpole trike could be.

But it's more complicated than the tiller steering I use on SB Cruiser, which is no different than that on any bicycle, except my "stem" is much longer (a "tiller" instead).

PS: By the way, I have seen the build pictures of the link you posted. It's amazing how you built these trikes from recycled parts. I wish I had welding and fabrication skills like you. Hats off to you!
[/quote]
Thanks--you could do the same thing I do, if you do what I did: Get a crappy welder and start building things, and when they break or don't do what you want, cut them up and rebuild them or start over with different stuff/ideas. Materials can be just like mine--old junk other people were tossing out, old bikes from thrift stores, yard sales, trash piles, etc. Or you can buy new stuff if you have the money.

Most of the ideas on how to do things when I started just came off the internet and other people's existing build pics. Nowadays some of it is that and some is my own experience in what works for me and my purposes...and then it just comes down to refining what i end up with into better and better versions. :)

Anybody could do the same thing, given time and materials to work with, and desire to do it.

But honestly, if I could afford to pay someone to do this stuff for me, I'd be glad to draw up what I want and have someone that actually knew what they were doing build it all for me, so I could just ride. :lol:

There are no existing things that do what I want in the way I want to do it, so I have to design and build them (or at least modify them to one degree or another)...not just my transportation, but other stuff too.

Thanks Amberwolf. You have some great advice there. Before I try out a trike, I might have to try a different bicycle frame. A beach cruiser or upright position may not be a bad idea. Still not sure what to do with my sprained ankle. After riding a bike for few hours, the pain starts to flare up to the point where it becomes extremely painful to climb stairs of even walk. As of now, I rely on throttle only, and have no issues with my ankle. 20 MPH is perfectly fine with a bicycle, but with tadpole trikes, I will need at least 25 mph, especially on hills. BBS02 or BBSHD should do the job just fine. Your SB Cruiser seems like a perfect solution to all my problems, but it would be too big. I think I might start off with a used KMX of some sort. It seems these trikes are fairly popular mostly due to affordability reason i suppose.

As for welding skills, I would really like to learn more on how to. I think it is a nice skill to have. You can pay someone to build something, but maintenance becomes easier down the line :) :roll:

Cheers.

Back