28MPH pedelec in semi-separated bike lane in California?

morganw

1 mW
I'm curious

1. whether bike lanes with some physical protection at intersections but none along the block could be considered Class IV

An example on Folsom St. in San Francisco.

There's been a little reconfiguration after the Google's street view pass. For instance, at Folsom & 8th, there are bollards to reinforce the "no right on red except for bicycles," but they just push the corner out to make the turn sharper and don't add separation. Advocates are calling for more physical separation with "human bollard" protests.

2. Why People For Bikes' chart explaining electric bike classes says "No" for Class 3 bikes (28MPH-maximum pedelec) in Class IV bike lanes.

CVC 21207.5 (a) ... a motorized bicycle or class 3 electric bicycle shall not be operated on a bicycle path or trail, bikeway, bicycle lane established pursuant to Section 21207, equestrian trail, or hiking or recreational trail, unless it is within or adjacent to a roadway

CVC 890.4 As used in this article, “bikeway” means all facilities that provide primarily for, and promote, bicycle travel. For purposes of this article, bikeways shall be categorized as follows:

(d) Cycle tracks or separated bikeways, also referred to as “Class IV bikeways,” which promote active transportation and provide a right-of-way designated exclusively for bicycle travel adjacent to a roadway and which are protected from vehicular traffic. Types of separation include, but are not limited to, grade separation, flexible posts, inflexible physical barriers, or on-street parking.

I aint no lawyer, but I read that as a 28 mph E bike can use the lane, if its just a painted stripe into the street, or in any case on the left side of the actual street curb and gutter. But not if there is parking between you and the cars.

With that type lane, a faster bike can always take the car lane to overtake slow bikes. If something blocks that, then the fast bike is not allowed. IMO you can ride in that folsom street lane. Just get in the street lane to pass people at 28 mph.

It reads to me like a fast e bike is not allowed if the lane is the good kind, where there is one curb for cars, the bike lane, then another curb, then the sidewalk.

IN any case, shit like this just depends on the mood the judge is in that morning, when you get to court. Passing the attitude test with the cop is the more important thing, so you stay out of court if possible.

I ride past no motorized vehicles allowed signs all the time to use bike paths in New Mexico. Only people that give a shit, including cops, is the three and four abreast walkers, who think all bikes don't belong on the multi use trail. I have no problems with any body else, because I ride with courtesy. I pass people from behind at 5 mph, and 15 mph on people facing me that clearly see me. NO riding 30 mph, as fast as my bike goes there. On a fast e bike, commuting in a hurry, take the street. Find back routes where you can haul ass, but not have to keep up with 50 mph cars.

Re the right turn,, if right turning cars are on the bike lanes left, you gonna get right crossed. On a fast bike, take the lane at large intersections is my advice. get out of the path of turning cars. This allows you to concentrate on the left crossers, that think even a cement truck should yield while they make a left on the red light. Too hard to concentrate on both left and right hazards, so get out in the land and watch for the cars coming at you making left turns.

Back