We got ADS!

TylerDurden

100 GW
I'm not complaining... I only just noticed them.

Did they come with the upgrade, or have they just been there and I didn't pay attention?

If they cover the cost of the BBS, I'm all for them.

Hmmm... interesting.

I'm not getting any kickbacks from those. I'm not sure how they got there either.
Better ask knightmb.

TylerDurden said:
We got ADS!

G-ZUZ!

With all the bromance going on 'round here I thought you said "We Got AIDS" !

*rim shot*

J

:lol:

Ypedal said:
I have a touch of ADD ( well.. some say i do.. ) :eek:

Well, sniffin' all that C-lyte lead paint dust will do that :wink:

*wa~wa~wa~wa*

J

:mrgreen:

actually, this is the part of yahoo that microsoft wants. called overture, it is the search engine that microsoft originally controlled and coulda used to at least run with google several years ago but they through it away. almost the same kinda hubris, where greed begets lethargy and stupidity and suddenly they are a passed over blip in history. anybody remember digital equipment corporation? DEC?

i thought the links that came up when gary and gaston were yakking about the braid were pretty good links, if someone were in business that is.

Dee Jay said:
TylerDurden said:
We got ADS!

G-ZUZ!

With all the bromance going on 'round here I thought you said "We Got AIDS" !

*rim shot*

J

:lol:

Rim shot nothing. I was gonna say that's what I thought was written at first glance.

They should be at the bottom like they were before, they disappeared after the upgrade for a while, but after I put the yahoo code back in, they should have reappeared.

No one noticed them before? LOL, maybe I messed up the code for it long ago and they were never seen to begin with. I use Adblock with Firefox, so I never see them, but I put them up there because it keeps the impressions level high enough that yahoo won't cancel my account for the other "real" ad stuff I do on other websites.

Right now, the ads at this forum generate about $0.22 a month because no one clicks on them or they use flash block like I do (haha). It's funny that you mentioned that though, I know I've seen them before when I visit the website from friends computers (they didn't have any adblock stuff so the ads always were seen at the bottom)

I've attached a screen shot below of last month's report. Well, unless everyone starts going click crazy, nothing is ever really generated here, LOL because I figure most of those "impressions" were just from guest that land right inside a topic from Google, Yahoo, etc. I figured all the members here just had Adblock or something similar and never saw any of the ads to begin with.

Attachments

• Image1.gif
    Image1.gif
    77.8 KB · Views: 3,017
i don't use blocker and have clicked a few, does it help support the website if we all were to get clickety? should we even ask what supports the website?

knightmb, thanks so much for this format.

dnmun said:
i don't use blocker and have clicked a few, does it help support the website if we all were to get clickety? should we even ask what supports the website?

knightmb, thanks so much for this format.
Well technically, the forum is just part of the company website, except I don't advertise any services on the forum. I put the ads at the very bottom so they wouldn't get in the way of anything. Really, what supports the forum is the great volunteers here because no amount of money is going to pay for a good forum community. I wish I could pay all the volunteers here as full time employees, but well, as you can see, the amount generated is very little. For it to generate some large amount, it would mean everyone just clicking any ole random link they see at the bottom, but it's against the ad policy to encourage this because then it's costing someone else money that was advertising.

I mean, if you really see something that interest you in the ads (whenever I see them, they often don't make sense, like Endless Gems or Fortune Teller Spheres) then yeah, I mean that's why they are done there, might be some good products to buy. But, I don't want those that volunteer his/her time to maintain this forum to feel like I'm making off with a fortune on their hard work. In the beginning, I was just going to split up the ad venue from this forum and pay everyone that was part of helping run it, but so little is generated, it wasn't worth splitting up $0.50 cents among 4 or 5 people :mrgreen:

I see now part of my problem was, I messed up the ad code on the other forum style. The one I use is the default one, but a lot of people use the older style because it's less flashy and loads up quicker. Because of the two different styles, it requires the ad code being inserted into both of them. Seems I messed up the other style, so no one ever saw any ads. The new style, I guess most didn't notice them at the bottom (which was kind of intended on my part, I hate ads that just show up right in your face). I see now that maybe everyone using the older style probably had a "javascript error" at the bottom of the page but no one ever let me know, LOL.

Since that was fixed, now those people are seeing the same ads, probably was quite a surprise. If enough revenue is really generated by the forum, then my original plan to split with everyone that helps this forum is still valid. So far this month, actually, over $2.97 have been generated so far. So I'm guessing if this keeps up, then I will be able to pay everyone. So while I nor any of the other admins, moderators, etc. can officially encourage you to click anything, just know that it will benefit them if the ads do generate revenue. I've got no reason to keep it all to myself, the hosting/server fees for this forum, if it were really broken down to numbers, would only run me about $15.00 a month if even that much.

as i said, i clicked on some links in the middle of gary and doc's discussion of the braid in the a123 pack build thread and it had some good stuff, not just the mindless ebay "spheres" stuff. one of the links had a source for the little solder lugs and different sizes of braid, which you would spend days tracking down if you were to do it the old fashioned way. not as though the ads are in your face like pop ups.

i have told so many people to come to this forum, almost my salutation in many other bulletin boards. there are a lotta old retired geezers like me on the yahoo oil and gas finance boards who know about this place in spite of their orientation to the dark side. even darker now because so many of us went bankrupt with lehman.

really, thanks a lot, and to everyone who has made it work so much better than the yahoo groups and visforvalium.com. ohpv.org is also setting up a forum like this, with an electric assist section too, but that is mostly real bicyclists, with a bent mind.

Well it's cool that something actually useful came up in the ads, often like you said, I see a lot of "ebay spheres" stuff. I haven't really spent any time to fine tune the ads since I figured most people ignore them or had a blocker that made them disappear, but maybe it's time I actually looked into the fine tuning, at least get him to bring up more relevant stuff to the topics instead of the university degrees and gem stones I constantly see, LOL.

Thanks for letting me, other than what I see myself, I never really know what comes up in those ads. :lol:

Here's one of my favorites:

Endless Sphere Floor Lamp
Rating 5
Today's Price: $169.99
Compare at: $249.99
You Save: $80.00 (32%)
Brief DescriptionItem#: 11549001
Add a touch of elegance to your home decor with an endless sphere lamp
Lighting features a brushed nickel finish
Floor lamp features a creme fabric shade and ball finial
endless sphere lamp.jpg

Seriously, I think it would be fair if the forum at least paid for its own hosting cost.
Being able to provide funding for worthwhile research and testing would be nice too.
I've considered the idea of establishing an "Endless Sphere Foundation" account that could accept donations from members. Downside is you would need to deal with tax issues etc., so I'm not sure if it would be more trouble than it's worth.

edit: BTW, are those numbers in the statement the number of hits per day?

my fav was the big pipeline spheres. they are inserted into the pipelines between different products in the pipeline to keep the products separate during transit through the pipeline, but you know big brother is watching us now because the links now are 'how to increase website revenue'.

fechter said:
Seriously, I think it would be fair if the forum at least paid for its own hosting cost.
Being able to provide funding for worthwhile research and testing would be nice too.
I've considered the idea of establishing an "Endless Sphere Foundation" account that could accept donations from members. Downside is you would need to deal with tax issues etc., so I'm not sure if it would be more trouble than it's worth.

edit: BTW, are those numbers in the statement the number of hits per day?

Yeah, the tax is the fun part, if you can find a "young" CPA, they often do them for free as a charity write off.

Actually, it shows "unique" impressions per day. Meaning, a unique IP address, not just the same one clicking on links. This has actually increased to over 9,000 per day now since I fixed all the goofed up ad code. I didn't realize the forum got that much unique traffic, because it doesn't generate as much bandwidth as you would think for that much traffic. I think a lot of it though is just search engine bots (I always seem to see two or three in the online users area) and probably people landing here from a search engine about topics being discussed here.

Check out the screen shot below, actually generated more than $0.00 this month, hehe. You can see the big dip when I upgrade the forum and few a days it just stock code (without the ad code at the bottom), though I'm not sure where those other impressions came from when the code was missing? :lol:

Attachments

• Image1.gif
    Image1.gif
    103.9 KB · Views: 2,311
that's all i'm worth? now i will be upset.

when i shut down, my wifi link shuts, and when i turn on again, it aquires an IP address, is that address new or is it always the same for my node? or does the ad click filter determine that the next session has a different ID?

maybe we could turn this into a thread about the most 'outrageous ads' or maybe the best ads. very few seem to ever mention electric vehicles or links to sellers of batteries, controllers and the other stuff so often talked about. is that just because the terms are not searched that much anyway, so yahoo doesn't add that the to the search structure. but i am often puzzled by google sometimes too.

listening to eric schmitz on charlie rose did give me a shiver when he was talking about why not let the personal device keep track of all that stuff you keep in your head about the thing you are interested in, at that moment, because of where you are, from your tagalong latitude GPS.

i am very interested in the future structure of rideshareing/carpooling social networks and it is easy to see where your phone will just ask you if you need a ride, because you were gonna go over to the SW part of town, and another friend in the carpool is also going that way, with google doing the entire vectoring of the trip in the background, making it transparent, but authenticated, safe, and efficient, and for bicyclist, knowing there was a rack for the bike. all imo. future news sorta dream.

Back