So what's with Urban X eco wheel?

hapc

1 mW
Sup, this is kind of new (probably you have mentioned it here), but this new Urban X wheel promises a lot for a cheaper price, what do you think overall about it?

Check the kickstarter, I feel tempted to buy one of those kits now.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/934648866/urbanx-convert-any-bike-to-an-electric-bike-in-60

LOL !

36V and 3500 mAh on a 350 Watt motor/controller.... 30 miles range ????? :roll: Please....

Sombody was drunk when they designed this and they invented these numbers. 30 miles my foot !!!! ... Maybe yes if you leave the motor off the whole time, then you could do 30 miles and still have juice in the battery.

I have a 26Ah 36 volt battery and a 350W motor.
With this, I must have a 50 miles range at most if I pedal along...

A 3.5Ah battery (3500 mAh at 0,1C in reality).... Push it at 10A and you wont get mor than 3.0Ah out of it... Plus you'll kill the cell in less than 200 cycles.
So basically, I think this is a poor design for the battery part.

I think you can expect a 6 miles range at best. I can't believe they made a 10S 1P battery using 3500 mAh (most are 5 amp-rated MAX).... And yet they push it to 10 amps for 350 Watts ????
Poor design. Batteries will cook.

I know I would be very very very unhappy with such a kit.

It looks like a front wheel variation of the Copenhagen Wheel, thus without the torque sensing PAS. It seems like a reasonable solution for last-mile transportation needs, but not much more than that.

I think all-in-one hub motors have their place, but they also have their limitations. They're an electric version of what most people would be willing to do with a normal pedal bike.

30 miles is easy, just ride pulling about 40 watts. 40 watts, 3 hours riding 10 mph = 120 watt hours from the 126 wh battery.

40 watts will just about eliminate cogging, and the weight of the system, leaving your effort exactly the same as riding a normal bike that far.

On a 20 mile ride though, you'd have 40 wh to actually help you up a small hill.

If the riders use low levels of help, 10 mile range is plausible from 120 wh, but very few ride that slow with a motor to help. Most will want to travel using at least 200w.

Where I live, 10 miles of a carefully chosen cycling route is nothing, but 10 miles across town through traffic is not an obvious thing to do on a bicycle. My parents live 10 miles from me, and they might as well live in a different town.

5 miles is a more typical one way cycling commute/errand. And for that, 120Wh is useful, though not really inspiring.

Back