Next up, Irma

Warren

100 kW
"Through the day Sunday and into Monday morning, many computer models trended toward a solution in which the storm's northerly turn comes too late to spare the U.S. of direct impacts: after the storm moves far enough west that an encounter with the U.S. coastline is all but assured."

http://mashable.com/2017/09/03/hurricane-irma-growing-threat-to-east-coast-bahamas/#qFxkYUgRQiqw

To early for models to be sure, but wow!

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=30.6;-75.0;4&l=rain-3h&t=20170911/15

One friend of mine in florida is bugging out today. This one looks like it could be real nasty. Very scary possible tracks, raking florida from bottom to top.

I've lived along the Emerald Coast of Florida for most of the last 20yrs,... but life has changed much for me. Since retirement a few years ago, I've become a bit of a "gypsy", living year around in motorhome, typically spending Nov-May along the coast, and the summer in north Michigan. I've been delayed in MI now for a year and a half, and anxious to return to Florida late next month, to again be with extended family and friends thru the winter months.

But I fear THIS will certainly be $100million+ storm at the very least. And should it arrive up the west coast of Florida and into the Big Bend or along The Emerald Coast, it will greater alter my plans with huge uncertainty.

Katrina hit too far west of the Florida Panhandle to lend much efforts in recovery, most of us were still fixin' what Ivan left us a year before. BTW, the day before Ivan came, it's winds drove me across The Bay Bridge at a top speed of 45mph,.... on a pedaled bicycle! It was the fastest I've been on ANY bicycle!!

But few private homes are insured against catastrophic storm damage in Florida today, fewer still have ins for any water damage from flooding, or continued rains. Mostly because it's unavailable, and any that can be obtained is unaffordable to most everyone I know,... and they all live within 30mi of the coastal areas at the most, many within 10mi. Most I know have such limited resources, that even evacuation further inland is unaffordable, especially for any extended time. Many week to week paychecks suddenly stop, and they are barely adequate to cover basic monthly costs let alone anything extra or unexpected. I have great concerns for everyone I know there,.... this will be a life changing event for many others too.

Any water shortages that may have existed in the past will be over for the foreseeable future. Hurricane Irma hasn't hit land just yet, and today we hear that Tropical storm Jose and Katia are building in strength, and headed for the same region.

There are numerous reports of the government hampering both survival and recovery efforts in the wake of hurricane Harvey by prohibiting people from changing the price of goods to reflect the new supply and demand ratios.

It's just another example of how harmful government economic meddling always is.

What the government should be meddling in is all these OTHER states getting all this water when we need it in California. But NOOOOOOOO. . . .

Peanuts, avocados, the prices are up from the shortage of everything. Don't know what effect The drought has on Ford alternators, but I can't get one for my Mustang. Where's all this redistribution when we REALLY need it?

In an emergency, customers rush the store and buy up every bit of anything they think they will need. There is no option to buy one roll of toilet paper, but...some people buy five 12-packs, just because they can. The same is true of gasoline, flashlights, batteries, cans of soup, etc...if "profiteering" is allowed (raising prices in a disaster), then there are fewer people left empty-handed. However...

The flip side of this coin is...rationing.

Keep prices the same, but form an orderly line and everyone gets a single bottle of water, single roll of toilet paper, three cans of soup, etc...until the disaster is over.

Hillhater said:
:shock: ? ..So you think retailers selling bottled water at $10 a pop is OK when folks have no clean water to drink ?
......to me that is exploitation of a cruel situation.

Price controls are always bad.

Allowing the price of a limited resource to rise in an emergency is extremely beneficial for the people IN the the emergency that desperately need the resource. Far from being "cruel", a higher price protects the limited supply so it does not get wantonly wasted and gets to the people who really need it. You're desperate for water, you'd pay anything. But the price was frozen at 59 cents so by the time you get to the store it's all gone because everyone bought it all up. And guess what, no one is bringing in more water because there's no profit in it.

A high price on water is a loudspeaker that yells HUSTON NEEDS BOTTLED WATER!!! People drive water in from all over the place to sell at the higher price. Take that away, no water. The real cruelty is to freeze the price and deny people of water.

spinningmagnets said:
The flip side of this coin is...rationing.
Keep prices the same, but form an orderly line and everyone gets a single bottle of water, single roll of toilet paper, three cans of soup, etc...until the disaster is over.

Rationing doesn't work either.

It doesn't work on the demand side because who sets the ration amount? For how long and which items? What if the item runs out, who decides to change the ration? It also doesn't work because it doesn't give the resource to the people who need it most. Maybe I need to drive 50 miles to save someone. I need the gas more than you do but rationing has no way of knowing this.

Rationing also doesn't work on the supply side. An emergency situation doesn't just need the normal amount of food, water and gas, it needs way more. The rise in price tells everyone to bring in more of exactly the resources that are needed, to exactly the right places and at exactly the right times. No government agency or rationing system in the world can do that. Rationing denies people of replacement supplies.

Price isn't just what something costs, price is an incredibly powerful communication tool that allows the supply side to talk to the demand side and it carries an unlimited amount of information. Forced price controls and forced rationing take away this invaluable and life-saving communication tool.

spinningmagnets said:
Any water shortages that may have existed in the past will be over for the foreseeable future. Hurricane Irma hasn't hit land just yet, and today we hear that Tropical storm Jose and Katia are building in strength, and headed for the same region.

Double Triple Wammy - All "evidence" for the Global Warmers, dont get me wrong here.... I do believe because how can the earth not change with all the shit humans put her through.

My god, the lines at the grocery stores, gas stations, home depots, etc. Everyone was in prep mode for 3 days before it hit.

We didn't board up the windows, just put away anything that could become a missile, in the garage.

And, let me tell you, it was frocking awesome. Wanna know what I was doing the whole time? Standing outside on my front porch, in my Seattle-worthy rain gear, watching the whole thing. I had a nice protected corner to huddle in.

So many hurricanes that don't deliver, and we finally get a good one, close to the eye wall and everything. The scientist in me had to experience it. Some people will understand. I find the power of nature really awesome.

Most of the really good stuff happened (2am-8am) long after we lost power at 1am. That's when I stopped filming, since it was pitch black and pointless. I'd say about every 30 seconds or so, a really strong 70 mph gust would blast through, and tear up the tree tops. This lasted for 12 hours straight, where the highest frequency was 2-8am. Just non frocking stop.

It's eerie, too. There will be times when it's calm where you are, yet you hear this loud roaring not too far away. Then bright blue flashes followed by snapping trees. Then, it hits like a huge wave. Not only do you have the strength of the wind, but it's also turbulent as hell, and changes wind direction very quickly.

I took videos of this shit, too. It's at night, so it won't be the most amazing thing. The street light that I kept aiming at was able to illuminate some of the insane rain curtain gusts above the tree tops. You can just make it out for some of them. They were about 70-80 mph for many of them.

[youtube]9xJQG_mmeFE[/youtube]

[youtube]Vi5yHJg1dLQ[/youtube]

[youtube]noN3bJajQC0[/youtube]

[youtube]7b5n96dYhpQ[/youtube]

[youtube]-xjV3uWCYqo[/youtube]

And, finally, here's cruising around on the ebike, having a look at the damage:

[youtube]TZmCFHpkXtA[/youtube]

And now we have federal relief care packages to the tune of $15 billion dollars. This is a bad thing for government to do, it's always harmful to the citizens and to western civilization in general.

"But Izits!" I hear the zombies saying, "How can you be against helping the poor people who had their homes destroyed and have no place to live, you're mean!" Setting aside the current crop of hurricane victims, let's look at the disasters next year, and the year after that and the year after that. If the government pays for these people's loses free of charge, why would anyone buy flood or hurricane insurance? What is going to deter future people from building in bad places like the paths of hurricanes? What incentive do they have to spend more on a strong, expensive house instead of a cheaper, weaker one? Government aid/welfare money takes away the penalty for doing dumb things and relieves people of being responsible for their actions.

It is imperative that people who choose to build in the paths of hurricanes, pay for the added cost of living there. All violence-based taxation penalizes the people who behave well and the aid/welfare rewards the people who behave badly. Ultimately this backwards penalty/reward system destroys the economy and society as well.

Some people DO occasionally need and deserve help. The right kind of disaster relief is donation funded charity. Charity does 3 things right that government can only do wrong.
#1:Charity's funding is voluntary instead of stolen at gunpoint. Government taxation can only be implemented through violence but charity does not require violence at all.
#2: Various charities compete for the same donated dollars. This encourages them to be thrifty and direct money to causes the people consider just. Government is wasteful and corruptly driven because it's income is not results dependent.
#3: Charity uses real people at ground level to asses each applicant and sort the genuinely needy from those pretending to be needy. Government aid tends to go to all the wrong places because the rules are easy to game.

Obviously, the same $15 billion in the hands of charity could help 10x as many people. Supporting government aid actually denies people the help they otherwise would have gotten if the money hadn't been collected in the first place. The truth is, I want to help the people whose houses are destroyed and the liberal zombies are the ones who are preventing help from arriving.

Respectfully,
Izits.
Patriot and supporter of western civilization.

Some charities have high over head. See the white bearded dude tv ad, must be $500 an airing. The newest one is Ewan McCreggor of Star Wars fame, trying to save Syrian children.

There is this one charity that grinds hard downtown they want to save children too, and they pay these up beat, talkative people that get paid $12/hour.

I know for a fact there is a website that shows which charities have what over head, what % of your dollar goes to the children, whales, seals, tree's, victims.

Back