Multiple Mail Packages from Online Orders

markz

100 TW
I wonder how these guys are making money.
I ordered 2 tool boxes and a soldering iron from Princess Auto, and just recieved ONE box today for my 19" tool box.
I spend $10 on s/h and I'd bet the FIRST box is $10 alone.

I ordered a bunch of stuff of Digikey Canada, two boxes came, a total of $8 s/h. One box was a traingle box, about 4 or 5' high by 8" sides, the other a small box. I bet $25 total s/h it cost them.

So they are eating the cost of shipping, yet selling items at regular market value, if not a tad cheaper.

Its an interesting market share concept they got going on.

At a guess, they are moving the shipping costs over to their brick-and-mortar store prices, if the item prices online are too cheap to be covering those costs.

That's what I think they're doing at my workplace, since we're not allowed to match anyone else's online prices nor can we even match our own beyond 30%-off. (and our site frequently has 50-75%-off of it's own already lower-than-store prices). And they always have free shipping on repeat deliveries, plus orders over a certain amount (usually around $50).

Unless companies in general are just plain gouging on teh shipping across the board to make up for their losses elsewhere....

I bet their shipping rates, including the box and the guy who sticks on the address, would amaze you. As an individual, you pay a lot more to ship something.

Back