Going Green and Off the Grid

That kind of news story must have been sponsored by the utilities companies to discourage people from going off the grid. Nutsandvolts, what were you going for with this topic, because I'm sure none of us want to end up like that guy, but I'm sure many here have an interest in going off the grid. As far as going green is concerned, it looks to me like those 2 have a pretty big carbon footprint judging by the barn full of firewood they were preparing in order to stay warm.

I'm scouting properties now, with the intention of building a house in the next year or so. The plan is that we could go off the grid if we want, but we'll keep a link to the grid to balance our supply and usage throughout the year, and hopefully sell a net surplus to the utility company. Here going off the grid would be quite easy, because you need neither heat nor air conditioning, and the wind is quite steady and reliable in many locations without any violent weather, which makes engineering a durable wind generator much easier.

John

where do you live in CR? my old girlfriend was down there a few months ago birdwatching. eco tourism has fallen off the edge of the world, they almost did not get the guide because there were only 4 people and he usually had 5 minimum. but she loved it.

what do you use to pump water and refrigeration? do you go native for cooking or preserving food? that is the biggest need for power, imo. anybody can live without heat and AC, in temperate climate, but you gotta have water. can you get propane or is it more expensive than gas or diesel? anyway, a generator could pump water to a storage cistern, chill the fridge, and provide some power each day if you used a small generator for a few hours each day maybe 4 hours total in 4 shifts, and then you can store power in batteries for lighting overnight, and be off the grid, without the windmill. you may not have enuff sun for solar if it is cloudy a lot, but that is where solar could help, and solar for hot water is super effective too.

That story wasn't so much about going green as it was about going off the economy. In many climates it can work well, untill like all working poor, you have a major health problem, and no insurance. One thing about that lifestyle, if enough people do it, the economy stagnates. In a way, it's africas problem.

dnmun said:
where do you live in CR?

Yeah.. I have a friend and her family has a house in Tamarindo... was thinking of visiting some day with her. The sub-zero and snow 8 months a year is starting to wear me down the older I get. :wink:

Tamarindo, yes, endless summer. ( fantasy rolls in head for the billionth time)

I live in the central valley, just east of the capital, San Jose. We just cut a deal on a house on the west side of town, which will cut over 30min off of the drive to the beach. Plus in the coming year the new highway will be complete which will cut another hour and a big climb over the peak at Atenas off of the trip to the beach. That will put Jaco and the Pacific Ocean in easy e-bike range. Also, this area has gotten marked cooler in my 12 years here, and that side of town is several degrees warmer. Plus the afternoon rains during rainy season come an hour or two later, which works out to be much more convenient.

John

Back