Guy on bicycle goes 60 mph on the highway

morph999

100 kW
check this out. You won't believe this.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4f2_1236885422

Supposedly has something to do with drag and vacuum effect?

Why not go 240kph in a draft? :D

http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR Bike01.htm

That's a cool little clip, the rider must have decent gearing because his legs don't seem to be going spasticly fast.

On standard road bike setup: 53t front 11t rear, 700c rims with 23mm tyres and a 172.5mm crank. You'd have to spin at ~160 rpm to hit ~100kph.

Probably do-able but a bit of a tall order over any length of time. If he's heading downhill though, that's another story...

If you think this is possible, you could try it with your watts up or CA meter and see how many watts it takes to go 35-40 in someone's drag. I've done it. Someone else try it and then come back and post your power. I don't want to post mine because I don't you guy's will believe how much power this really takes.
I don't think even Lance can put out enough power to go 60mph even behind a truck. Anyone else think it's possible?

When you eliminate air friction, any vehicle speed is possible because it's no different than a stationary exercise bicycle. Yes, the guy in the video, very suicidal or he was actually working with the truck driver (maybe not, but still possible) to get it filmed. I can vouch for the air blocking power of those big trucks, it's like riding downhill with a tailwind when you get close enough.

This time of year is quite windy here in Costa Rica, and this year is windier than most. It's great going with the wind, but into the wind really sucks, so I draft cars all the time when I'm headed into the wind. I just hang off rear corner in case they apply the brakes, but not a close as in that video, and it really takes a lot of the edge off of the wind. While I'm sure it's possible, and I think the record is close to 90mph with a cyclist tucked in behind a wind barrier, something doesn't seem quite right about that video.

John

At 100kph(60mph) it take around 4500W for a normal mtb on flat road... 3 times the max power an excellent cyclist can burst in power...

So in this video what he only need to fight is the tire and gear and bearing friction... and the small portion of air coming from undre the truck he follow that hit the wheels...

Doc

Attachments

• POwer vs speed graph.JPG
    POwer vs speed graph.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 2,336
that truck had mudflaps all the way across in back so he had no air resistance in front, and the air coming around the top and sides sucks him along in the vortex, so he could easily be going 60.

i do the same thing in my little honda wagon, behind semis on the freeway, especially when they are going 90, which is hard for me to keep up in my wagon, but the turbulence is a little disconcerting.

that is why truckers run in convoys too.

madras dragstrip, bob mcree lives right down the road. they could have timed people racing on his cruzbikes, reality TV is stuck in the couch potato brain drain. sic is right.

i don't think they coulda done 60 as smoothly as the dutch guy because the mud flaps don't dam the air flowing under the truck, like under that dutch dump truck, but they likely have stricter vehicle regulations on european highways i bet.

Even if the air is blasting at the wheels though, his upper body, top part of the bike is where all the resistance is. I'm sure there is some resistance on the bottom half of the bike, even his legs, but they are a small surface area compared to the upper half of the bicycle. :mrgreen:

Well I can vouch for this now. :mrgreen:

I had an opportunity to follow a tour bus (big one) close behind and my eyes watching those brake lights just in case.

I was able to hit 55MPH uphill, no pedaling. With no air resistance, it was a piece of cake to both accelerate and cruise just like a car. I followed the tour bus through about a 2 mile section before finally braking to the side to turn down a side street home.

Now, the only problem I see with the video. You just can't pedal fast enough to really do anything. In the video, he was pedaling very fast, but unless he has some insanely tall gears, you just can't get the RPM out of your legs to keep that kind of speed.

My guess is they were going downhill the whole time during the video.

Yeah, note to self, don't try this at home as I won't be doing it again now that I think about how stupid it was, LOL.

Back