locked threads

bobmcree

10 kW
i cannot find anything relating to why threads are locked, or who locked them. it seems like all of a sudden in a long-lasting thread it is locked and there is no chance to respond to direct questions or accusations that have been posed. i think at least there should be some transparency, and that a notice should be placed saying why the thread was locked, who locked it, and which statement or question crossed the line. If a member publicly quits and promises never to return, then does return under a pseudonym, and someone calls them on it, does that get a thread locked? or how about posting clear evidence of untrue statements in advertising, does that get the thread locked? i just want to know if i am the guilty party...

bob, how far is your place from the madras dragstrip? i wonder if you could point out some landmarks on the Utube video on the think car thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9113

which direction is north?

Usually it's me or one of the other mods that locks a thread when flame wars erupt.
My bad (or whoever) for not placing a post at the end of the thread expaining the action. I get pretty busy sometimes and get forget stuff like that. I have log files to see who does anything like that.

If you have any questions about things like that, feel free to pm me.

Something that's been locked for a long time can probably be unlocked now.

fechter said:
Something that's been locked for a long time can probably be unlocked now.
Unlock the one in the Cesspool where Oatnet started the thread about me being Randy Draper- I have a nice comeback for Doc's boyfriend and #1 customer - Bikeraider to respond to his childish tissue remark, that is even more infantile than his post and I never got to post it. :cry: :lol: I don't think threads in the cesspool should be locked..it makes no sense!!!! :shock: if you are thin skinned then stay the hell out! It's where we separate the men from the boys and we don't need no babysitters there... 8)

Plus, I am sure everyone wants to read my retort...

Ah, the cesspool.

That's where we separate the sinkers from the floaters.

I suppose that's sort of why I created it in the first place. Instead of locking a nasty thread, I can just flush it down there. It kinda sucks if a thread starts out with a legitimate purpose and starts getting trashed by the kids and winds up down there.

Whatever. The point is- it was locked, it was about me and I did not request it be locked. Which seems strange. I only wondered why it was allowed in the first place as i thought the thread was meant to be confrontational and dividing.

I think if you looked at the author of the thread, you had a chance to "separate a sinker". What this action actually did, was set an unfortunate precedent, that encourages/allows scenarios for flame wars. In most forums, such a thread subject would have landed in the doubtful threads forum, that only mods could see, and the poster at least warned.

I should AT LEAST been given the opportunity for the last word, since it was left up.

If we allow threads that are posted merely as personal attacks, which I think is a mistake, even in the cesspool, then I think the person being attacked should have the right to decide if the thread is closed or left open. It seems only fair to me. Unless, other members used the report post function and asked for it to be closed.

The easiest thing is not to allow it to begin with.

Back