can you help me source this LED?

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
Post Reply
User avatar
izeman
10 GW
10 GW
Posts: 4511
Joined: Jun 21, 2011 8:25 am
Location: vienna, austria
Contact:

can you help me source this LED?

Post by izeman » Dec 08, 2017 10:47 am

this is a led from a desk lamp. powered by a constant current power supply 12V 500mA. diameter of the PCB is 24mm.
tried to find this thing on ebay or aliexpress but w/o success. no idea what to search for.
i searched for "high power led" "12v 5W" "COB" "24mm" a combination of it ...

any help would be highly appreciated, as the lamp itself was quite expensive and if i can source the led it will work again. if i press my finger on it it kind of works. there must be some connection broken inside.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (40.96 KiB) Viewed 260 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (44.78 KiB) Viewed 260 times

Buk___
1 kW
1 kW
Posts: 392
Joined: Jul 28, 2017 5:59 pm

Re: can you help me source this LED?

Post by Buk___ » Dec 08, 2017 10:57 am

izeman wrote:
Dec 08, 2017 10:47 am
this is a led from a desk lamp. powered by a constant current power supply 12V 500mA. diameter of the PCB is 24mm.
tried to find this thing on ebay or aliexpress but w/o success. no idea what to search for.
i searched for "high power led" "12v 5W" "COB" "24mm" a combination of it ...

any help would be highly appreciated, as the lamp itself was quite expensive and if i can source the led it will work again. if i press my finger on it it kind of works. there must be some connection broken inside.
It appears to be a ZhiHai product, but their website reports:
Sorry, the product you are looking for is not available for now, please contact us.

User avatar
izeman
10 GW
10 GW
Posts: 4511
Joined: Jun 21, 2011 8:25 am
Location: vienna, austria
Contact:

Re: can you help me source this LED?

Post by izeman » Dec 08, 2017 12:12 pm

yes. found the company myself, but couldn't find the PCB only on their website.
seems they do special complete lamps only.

Buk___
1 kW
1 kW
Posts: 392
Joined: Jul 28, 2017 5:59 pm

Re: can you help me source this LED?

Post by Buk___ » Dec 08, 2017 12:46 pm

izeman wrote:
Dec 08, 2017 12:12 pm
yes. found the company myself, but couldn't find the PCB only on their website.
seems they do special complete lamps only.
Oh, okay.

(I just thought that as they have a webpage dedicated to the LED part number, it might be an old part that has been superseded. Perhaps if you contact them, they might offer an equivalent replacement part.)

User avatar
Drunkskunk
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 7037
Joined: Apr 14, 2007 11:37 am
Location: Dallas, Texas. U.S.A.

Re: can you help me source this LED?

Post by Drunkskunk » Dec 08, 2017 12:52 pm

that looks like a version of a standard MCPCB LED mount, similar to what Cree uses.
Something like this might be a workable replacement.

https://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-xla ... 0QQAvD_BwE
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

User avatar
izeman
10 GW
10 GW
Posts: 4511
Joined: Jun 21, 2011 8:25 am
Location: vienna, austria
Contact:

Re: can you help me source this LED?

Post by izeman » Dec 08, 2017 4:12 pm

unfortunately it's not. the LEDs from the link you posted are those installed in torches.i've got some of them as well.
but the one i'm looking for is quite a bit bigger. the PCB is bigger, and the LED itself is about 3 times the size. :(

User avatar
ElectricGod
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1460
Joined: Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: can you help me source this LED?

Post by ElectricGod » Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm

Why bother using the same LED again? You have so many options that will work in place of this LED that also run on 12 volts. Go look at the selection of LEDs at Mountain Electronics (www.mtnelectronics.com). I bet you will find something that will work as a replacement. IT doesn't matter that it's an exact replacement or not. Does the LED fit in the same space and can it run off the same voltage and amps. If it can, then it's a match!
ElectricGod...it's a joke...don't take things so seriously folks!

XB-502 Moped:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1222730

Currie scooter:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 7#p1227407

User avatar
izeman
10 GW
10 GW
Posts: 4511
Joined: Jun 21, 2011 8:25 am
Location: vienna, austria
Contact:

Re: can you help me source this LED?

Post by izeman » Dec 13, 2017 4:29 am

ElectricGod wrote:
Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm
... Does the LED fit in the same space and can it run off the same voltage and amps. If it can, then it's a match!
that's the point. the size is the issue. i can find LED PCBs in 20mm and 28mm size. but none with 24mm. no idea why. i know ordered the 20mm size and will see if i can fix it somehow.

User avatar
Chalo
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6360
Joined: Apr 29, 2009 11:29 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: can you help me source this LED?

Post by Chalo » Dec 13, 2017 6:10 am

You can get 1W or 3W individual LED emitters that are only about 8mm in diameter, and that have forward voltages of about 3.5V. Three or four of those epoxied to a 24mm disc heatsink of your liking, and soldered in series, would fit in the same package and do the same job. Add a resistor or a power diode to drop any excess voltage, if the driver in your lamp isn't already a current regulated device.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

User avatar
izeman
10 GW
10 GW
Posts: 4511
Joined: Jun 21, 2011 8:25 am
Location: vienna, austria
Contact:

Re: can you help me source this LED?

Post by izeman » Dec 13, 2017 9:19 am

Chalo wrote:
Dec 13, 2017 6:10 am
You can get 1W or 3W individual LED emitters that are only about 8mm in diameter, and that have forward voltages of about 3.5V. Three or four of those epoxied to a 24mm disc heatsink of your liking, and soldered in series, would fit in the same package and do the same job. Add a resistor or a power diode to drop any excess voltage, if the driver in your lamp isn't already a current regulated device.
you're abolutely right, but i was looking for a 1:1 direct replacement. i just can't imagine that i bought the one single lamp in the world that uses this LED. i was expecting to just open aliexpress and order a replacement.

User avatar
Chalo
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 6360
Joined: Apr 29, 2009 11:29 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: can you help me source this LED?

Post by Chalo » Dec 13, 2017 2:20 pm

It is strange that the manufacturer of the lamp wouldn't use a more common format of LED. But lately it seems that chip-on-board PCB LEDs come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Every time I retrofit a light from tungsten or fluorescent, it seems that the available choices have changed (and that the LEDs have gotten cheaper, brighter, and better in color).
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

Post Reply