''Disarm'' a mobile phone

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.
Debunker
1 mW
1 mW

''Disarm'' a mobile phone

Post by Debunker » Dec 31, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi, I have some old mobile phones that I never want to use again, but I find appealing the idea of turning them into small game consoles for flash, mobile games or emulators.

Even if I remove the Sim card and the internal anthena (that small chip) is the phone still emiting radiation of some sort?

I don't really like the idea of plaiyng whit a cancer inducing console...

Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Re: ''Disarm'' a mobile phone

Post by Chalo » Dec 31, 2017 5:09 pm

If a mobile phone can operate all day on a battery the size of a matchbook, how much radiation do you think it can really be putting out, considering much of that energy is spent on computation only? These are radio waves we're talking about, not ionizing radiation.

By what mechanism do you propose that a phone would cause cancer? I think there would be orders of magnitude more risk from the materials in the phone than from radiation or EMF. But that still isn't much, nor riskier than anything else in our physical environment.

If you're willing to eat peanuts or live where there are cars, you've already accepted a hugely larger cancer risk.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

billvon
10 kW
10 kW

Post by billvon » Dec 31, 2017 5:16 pm

Debunker wrote:
Dec 31, 2017 4:41 pm
Even if I remove the Sim card and the internal anthena (that small chip) is the phone still emiting radiation of some sort?
Yes. It will still be emitting deadly cancer-causing radiation from its screen, at wavelengths between 400 and 800nm. Remember, radiation at wavelengths less than 350nm is PROVEN to cause skin cancer; why would you take a chance on radiation that is almost the same wavelength?
--bill von

fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Post by fechter » Dec 31, 2017 6:05 pm

Most phones have an "airplane mode" that turns off all the radios.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Dec 31, 2017 11:31 pm

Why not just wrap it in tinfoil? ;)

Cuz if that will stop a battery fire, it'll stop anything, right?

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 01, 2018 12:10 am

Slightly OT, but:
fechter wrote:
Dec 31, 2017 6:05 pm
Most phones have an "airplane mode" that turns off all the radios.
FWIW, I have two old first generation Nooks (book reader) that Bill gave me, which even in airplane mode still goes out and check for wifi on occasion, and if it finds a wifi that doesnt' require a user to log in first, it downloads updates and installs them (interrupting you while you're reading whatever you have open) whether you want them or not (erasing all of your preferences and any books not on the SD card when it does this).

I can't see any of the wifi stuff happening, as there's zero notifications of it, but it's obvious it's doing it, as there's no other way it could've gotten updates. (it's never connected to the internet, and immediately after I powered each one on I enabled airplane mode to disable any wifi connection. Only computer they ever got connected to didn't have an internet connection at the time, and was just to upload a whole slew of books to them via USB-as-storage-device (NOT using anything other than built-in Windows drivers that auto-install), and haven't been reconnected since).

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Jan 01, 2018 12:35 am

Airplanes have wifi, so airplane mode doesn't shut off that radio.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Jan 01, 2018 12:53 am

Apparently that's not true of all devices.

On the Nooks I have, it does shut it off according to the settings panel, and the browser, but it apparently only turns it off for user-access, not for it's own purposes.

On the old Samsung (3?) phone Bill gave me to use as a camera after the fire, airplane mode shuts off both it's wifi and it's celphone radio.

My actual phone (LG?) has a "flight mode" (really means airplane mode), and it warns when enabling it you won't be able to call or use internet, so it's turning both off.

The laptops that I have had with built-in wifi that had an airplane mode (or similarly-named function) disabled the wifi and the bluetooth (for the ones that had BT), basically turning all radios off.

That's all the wifi-included devices I can recall that I've actually had in my hands that I've tested that with.

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Jan 01, 2018 3:01 am

It is up to the individual makers to decide what to do, but airplanes do have wifi internet these days, and cellular is the only thing that airplane mode needs to disable, bluetooth and wifi are often used. But many devices are old and not updated to the new standards.

nicobie
10 MW
10 MW

Post by nicobie » Jan 01, 2018 2:58 pm

Why not just remove the battery?

May your tote always stay tight and your edge eversharp :wink:

my eTownie build thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Jan 01, 2018 3:19 pm

Cuz then he can't "turn* them into small game consoles for flash, mobile games or emulators"

markz
10 GW
10 GW

Post by markz » Jan 04, 2018 8:30 pm

Wifi frequencies are much smaller then cellular frequencies.
2 to 5Ghz vs 1800+Ghz

MrDude_1
100 kW
100 kW

Post by MrDude_1 » Jan 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Debunker wrote:
Dec 31, 2017 4:41 pm

I don't really like the idea of plaiyng whit a cancer inducing console...
Then the best thing you can do is get educated on the subject so that you don't believe such nonsense. :lol:

:pancake: :pancake: :pancake: :pancake: :pancake: :pancake: :pancake:
Warning:This post is being read via light, a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer.

billvon
10 kW
10 kW

Post by billvon » Jan 04, 2018 11:53 pm

markz wrote:
Jan 04, 2018 8:30 pm
Wifi frequencies are much smaller then cellular frequencies.
2 to 5Ghz vs 1800+Ghz
Wifi does indeed use 2.4 or 5GHz - however, the WWAN radios operate at .7 to 1.9 GHz (not 1800+ GHz) 5G will extend that to 28 and eventually 60GHz.
--bill von