GM Provides Glimpse of Battery Strategy - Volt Pack Briefing

Talk about anything and everything here within reason.

Re: GM Provides Glimpse of Battery Strategy - Volt Pack Briefing

Postby Toshi » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:01 pm

MitchJi wrote:Heres your chance to get one of the First Plug-in Hybrids sold In America :D:
http://gas2.org/2009/03/23/first-plug-in-hybrid-in-americais-a-scooter/
Vespa scooter maker, the Piaggio Group, says they will be selling a plug-in hybrid scooter in the United States by early 2010.

I'd prefer to get the best price I could on a used one and convert it to electric.

dnmun, i sold my car voluntarily. i'm all about keeping my life simple and minimizing the amount of stuff i have: one e-bike and no car. the flip side of this is that i'm financially secure, don't live close to the edge, as it were, and am not forced to have a garage sale when unforeseen events occur.

mitch, i've been eagerly following the news of the MP3 plug-in hybrid, and indeed maintain a mammoth thread dedicated to alternative personal transportation on another forum.

i have no faith in piaggio's—or any company involved in the "green arena", for that matter—ability to actually meet their stated timetable of 2010, however. this goes for Aptera's 2e, the Tesla Model S, the Green Vehicles TRIAC, and sundry other pie-in-the-sky projects as well.

my current plan is to buy a used, gasoline powered Piaggio MP3 250 this summer. it runs about $4-6k on the used market, and its capabilities are astounding when compared to an electric vehicle: 77 mph top speed; 150 mile range with 5 minute refilling; and dealerships that can service it if it breaks! hopefully the electric world will have something comparable to offer by the time i finish residency in 2013.
Toshi
10 kW
10 kW

Postby voicecoils » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:59 pm

dnmun wrote:...the honda serial hybrid system is through the CVT and is therefore direct drive with efficiency of 99%...

What CVT is 99% efficient? A single stage chain drive system can transmit power above 98% efficiency but I don't know of anything else that comes so close to 100%.
voicecoils
10 MW
10 MW

Postby knightmb » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:44 am

voicecoils wrote:
dnmun wrote:...the honda serial hybrid system is through the CVT and is therefore direct drive with efficiency of 99%...

What CVT is 99% efficient? A single stage chain drive system can transmit power above 98% efficiency but I don't know of anything else that comes so close to 100%.

Maybe he meant 98.499999% ? :mrgreen:
knightmb
100 kW
100 kW

Postby needWheels » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:40 pm

They just said on CNN that the battery itself weighs 400 pounds?
That can't be lithium technology at that high weight for just 40 mile range?!
needWheels
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Toshi » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:14 pm

needWheels wrote:They just said on CNN that the battery itself weighs 400 pounds?
That can't be lithium technology at that high weight for just 40 mile range?!

it's a 16 kWh pack (of which 8 kWh is used) with water cooling and a crash-proof construction. that sounds reasonable to me for a production car.
Toshi
10 kW
10 kW

Return to General Discussion