BBSHD and Sturmey Archer S2K 2 Speed Kick Shift Disc Brake Rear Hub

Bullfrog

10 kW
Does anybody have experience with the Sturmey Archer S2K 2 Speed Kick Shift Disc Brake Rear Hub?

Or more precisely, has anybody tried it with a BBSHD?

Any words of wisdom, advice, experiences, etc....would be greatly appreciated. I am considering doing a build with a BBSHD, a Bikes Direct bike with horizontal rear dropouts, and the SA 2 speed kick shift rear hub. About as clean as a bike can get because it won't have any shifter cables, a derailleur, or a chain tensioner.

Does anybody know of an inexpensive, steel framed donor bike that has horizontal dropouts? Tentative plan is to use a Deadeye Monster from bikesdirect.com (aluminum frame) but I prefer steel, just don't want to drop the money required to buy a Surly :D .

Thanks for any info...positive and/or negative comments and advice are appreciated.

I've never had one, but reading about it a bit, I have questions on how you expect it to work with a BBSHD. So if you want to shift, you will get off throttle and hit reverse? I don't understand how you will get the chain to travel backwards to initiate the shift, since the BBSHD has an internal freewheel at the crank.

Back