BBSHD and Sturmey Archer S2K 2 Speed Kick Shift Disc Brake Rear Hub

Bullfrog

10 kW
Does anybody have experience with the Sturmey Archer S2K 2 Speed Kick Shift Disc Brake Rear Hub?

Or more precisely, has anybody tried it with a BBSHD?

Any words of wisdom, advice, experiences, etc....would be greatly appreciated. I am considering doing a build with a BBSHD, a Bikes Direct bike with horizontal rear dropouts, and the SA 2 speed kick shift rear hub and a 1/8" single speed chain. About as clean as a bike can get because it won't have any shifter cables, a derailleur, or a chain tensioner.

Thanks for any info...positive and/or negative comments and advice are appreciated.

Can the BBSHD freewheel to allow backwards chain travel for shifting? Do you have a plan for how you would make the chain 'kick' backwards to actuate the shift(s)?

gogo...THANK YOU.

There is no easy way I can think of to move the chain backwards to activate the kick shift.

Just when I thought I had a good idea....oh well.

At least I have a back up plan...go with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub, the one that accepts a disc brake and has a 9 spline driver so I can use cassette gears. Plan is to use one cassette gear and use the internal gears for the shifting. Probably actually only use two of them....second gear 95% of the time since it is straight thru and third gear when I need to get from A to B.

Thanks again for catching my absent mindedness :D .

If anybody is interested, the Sturmey Archer hub I am talking about is a CS-RK3 found here:
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/products/detail/cs-rk3-silver

SRAM recently decided to quit making internally geared hubs so they aren't an option IMO...Luna currently offers a SRAM hub if you would like to try it.

Shimano offers the Nexus 3 but it only has a three spline driver option and the only disc option is a center lock.

Sturmey has the 170 OLD 3 speed hub that accepts a disc but it is a three spline.

So the only current production, three speed internal hub, that accepts a disc, and uses a 9 spline driver is the Sturmey Archer CS-RK3 and the widest version is 135mm OLD.

Consider the SRAM Automatix centrifugal shifting two speed hub. I like mine very much.

I would not use a BBSHD with an internal gear hub if I could use a BBS02 or TSDZ2 instead. It's all good fun until you break something expensive at an inconvenient time.

Chalo...tell me a little about the TSDZ2, please. Is it about the same power level as the BBS02? I am going to consult Mr. Google as well.

EDIT...found this on the TSDZ2: https://www.biktrix.com/products/tongsheng-tsdz2-torque-sensored-diy-ebike-mid-motor
Says that it is a pure pedal assist, no throttle. That would make it a real good match with the SRAM two speed IMO.

I considered the SRAM auto but I don't want it to shift except on rare occasions. I plan to run the 3 speed in 2nd/straight thru 95% of the time and only go to 3rd gear when I am on the road and under relatively light load without impacts. But I sure do appreciate the info and thoughts.

More Edit...considered the SRAM DD3 especially since Luna has a good price on them but the durability of the click box has me worried. I run into trees and hurt myself all the time, the click box probably wouldn't stand up to the tree impacts as good as I do :D .

Thank You

Back