Sustainable Energy - recommended reading

Tiberius

10 kW
This topic fits naturally with electric vehicles, and it comes up regularly on the forum. I've just read a very good book on the subject

"Sustainable Energy - without the hot air" by David Mackay

Not only does it have a good, impartial analysis of the science, but it is also packed with the numbers and statistics so will make a very useful reference source. I posted this on the UK Pedelecs site, and I'll post it here, but with a little trepidation. The author writes from a European perspective and doesn't draw back from pointing out that US energy consumption is a little higher.

The author has gone so far to put the whole book on a website, where it may be read or downloaded for free. http://www.withouthotair.com/

Nick

Nice! I just read what he says about solar thermal and PV, and it sounds like he is right on. Solar energy will never provide all our needs, especially on the north or south ends of the globe, but solar thermal collectors are cheap there should be more of em. The ones I built this winter saved me about 300 kw a month on my electric heated house. We had a mild winter, even for here though. I'll enjoy reading the rest of it :)

Back