Maximum of 10 links per post?

swbluto

10 TW
Who just implemented this rule? I was maintaining a list to battery test results that are scattered across the forums and now I can't update it anymore since all of sudden I can't have more than 10 links in the post(Even though the post currently has more than 10 ).

And why was this rule even implemented? Has Endless Sphere had substantial problems with too many links?

swbluto said:
Who just implemented this rule? I was maintaining a list to battery test results that are scattered across the forums and now I can't update it anymore since all of sudden I can't have more than 10 links in the post(Even though the post currently has more than 10 ).

And why was this rule even implemented? Has Endless Sphere had substantial problems with too many links?
I'm thinking it was to try and counter spammers... If that was not the reason, than I have no idea why that would be useful.

If it were spammers, then I can imagine a modification that would be easy to implement that wouldn't impact honest contributing members.

From

if(links>maxLinks) issueErrorMessage(maxLinksExceeded);

To

int sufficientPostCount = 10;//For example
if(user.postCount<sufficientPostCount && links>maxLinks) issueErrorMessage(maxLinksExceeded);

The reasoning being that if this was implemented for spamming reasons, then I'd imagine that the vast majority of dedicated spammers wouldn't last very long and that this rule wouldn't constrict the average honest forum member.

swbluto said:
Has Endless Sphere had substantial problems with too many links?

Nutsandvolts control:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6838&start=360

:lol: :lol:

TPA said:
swbluto said:
Has Endless Sphere had substantial problems with too many links?

Nutsandvolts control:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6838&start=360

:lol: :lol:

:lol: That actually sounds plausible. Here's a modified form...

string tooManyLinkUsers[] = ["nutandvolts", etc.,etc];
int sufficientPostCount = 10;//For example
if(user.postCount<sufficientPostCount && !tooManyLinkUsers.contains(user.name) && links>maxLinks) issueErrorMessage(maxLinksExceeded);

Back