Upgrading striped down e-moped

General Discussion about large electric scooters and motorcycles and other things with no pedals.

Upgrading striped down e-moped

Postby PhoenixOSU » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:31 am

I recently came into a striped down moped (labeled as SL700 Lion, its the same frame as the Capri 700 which can be found on Google). It has no wheels, battery, or motor, but the rest is there and the frame is in good shape, so I have started cleaning it up and getting ready to purchase a hub motor and batteries, but don't know exactly how much power I will need. The frame is fairly areodynamic as it is, and a few improvements can be made, its lightweight and small but not a toy either, so I'd like to get it up to about 40MPH (for driving arround town only), and with a distance of really no more than about 15 miles.

My question comes in at specifying the power rating of the hub motor and the capacity of the battery pack. I'm fairly sure that 48V is a good operating voltage to work with, and something around 20Ah or more should be a good amount of juice to work with. The original wheels were 10", and Kelley Controls LLC seems to make some nice motors that will fit into that spot, but at any appreciable currents it seems that the battery would be drained very quickly. My big concern is a lack of experience with how much power it takes to get up to speed in this frame and how much energy storage is needed to get a half worthwhile range. I've heard all kinds of claims about range and speed using an almost random grouping of motors and batteries with controllers that seem far to inefficient for what they need to do, and every dealer seems to think they know everything, so I'm coming here to humbly ask for help form people who have done this before.

As for the controller, which I haven't mentioned yet, I want to design and build my own BLDC motor controller, and I'd happily share the schematic and layout files with anyone interested.

Any recommendations on motors and batteries (I'm going with SLA for financial reasons) would be much appreciated!
Shaun
"While a viable approach to problem solving, banging your head into a wall will most likely result in unconsciousness long before the other side is reached"
PhoenixOSU
100 W
100 W

Re: Upgrading striped down e-moped

Postby Gregory » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:29 am

Hi, good luck, my only advice is don't reinvent the wheel.

Go through the EVAlbum and see what others are using, email them requests for info, do a search here on ES etc.

1) x5305 Hub Motor in a 24" Sun rim with 10G spokes, Kelly 72601 controller, 74V 10Ah Turnigy LiPo 20C Battery and CycleAnalyst
2) Mac 10T rear hub in a 700C "comfort bike" 15S 5Ah LiPo, stock 28A Xie Cheng controller
3) 38" Longboard, Turnigy 6374, CC Mamba XL2 ESC
Gregory
10 kW
10 kW

Postby dnmun » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:39 am

if you haul SLA and the scooter, assume about 3-4kW to reach 40mph. or more depending on how fat and how low the pressure in the tires.
dnmun
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Rassy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:19 am

You didn't include a picture, but I made my last two wheel pusher trailer from two SL700 LION scooter motors and controllers. I have since obtained a third complete SL700 LION for parts. Let me know if you need anything, except for the hub motor and controller. I will give away any parts for the cost of shipping. The link below has a picture of one of the scooters:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3258
-Rassy-
Two Tadpole Trikes, 6X10 9C mid drive, NuVinci CVT Auto Shift, 48V LiFePO4
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18606
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=47043
Rassy
1 MW
1 MW

Postby PhoenixOSU » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Wow, 4KW? There is a Kelley hub motor rated at 3KW but its on a 13" rim, I asked about the tire size and they said the whole wheel has a diameter of 17-18 inches, does anyone know if that would fit into the SL700s frame? The only potential obstruction is the battery bucket under the seat and possibly the fender depending on spring compression, I made a cardboard cutout to see what might get in the way and am considering going with it. I'd be happy with 35mph, but a bit more helps when there is a headwind.

As for reinventing the wheel, I've already designed a controller that can push a 48V motor at up to 260A (more if I increase the size of MOSFETs I used, at the cost of some efficiency), as of now its theoretical power loss is less than 1%, I would start layout now but I want to be sure of the voltage I want to use before I start that, all the other parts I'm using on it should handle a 72V motor easily, but I like to be careful.

Are there any other motors besides Kelley that have decent power ratings (over 1KW) in a 13" or smaller rim?

And lastly, about the extra SL700 parts, I'll be emailing you and writing a check very soon! (I need a throttle, brake cable, headlight, and a few other bits).

Thanks all for the fast and insightful information.
Shaun
"While a viable approach to problem solving, banging your head into a wall will most likely result in unconsciousness long before the other side is reached"
PhoenixOSU
100 W
100 W

Return to E-Scooter and Motorcycle General Discussion