EVT controller with brushless hub motor?

General Discussion about large electric scooters and motorcycles and other things with no pedals.

EVT controller with brushless hub motor?

Postby Onvolts » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:10 am

Hello!

I have a question. I have a EVT-168 with a 1000W brushed motor. Top speed is 40km/h and i would like to increase this. The controller is 120A max so maybe 60 cont.?

If I replace the 1000W motor with a 2000 or 2500W motor, would this work? Meaning would a brushed controller work with a brushless motor?

Hope to hear from somebody!
Attachments
EVT controller.jpg
evt controller
EVT controller.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Onvolts
10 mW
10 mW

Re: EVT controller with brushless hub motor?

Postby Jeremy Harris » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:34 am

No, a brushed controller will not work with a brushless motor, I'm afraid.

Also, speed is generally a function of battery voltage and motor Kv, so increasing the current doesn't normally have much effect. As a general rule, more current means better acceleration and hill climbing, more voltage means more speed. There are some exceptions, such as when the speed is being limited by the motor power at full throttle, but they're a good general rules.

If you swap the motor for a more powerful one, and swap the controller to match it (which may not be that straightforward, as some scooters run a lot of the other, non-motor related, electrical stuff through the controller) then you may or may not be able to get a bit more speed, depending on the Kv of the motor you choose and the ability of your battery pack to supply the required power.
Please ask questions on the forum, rather than by PM, as it helps others and you'll get a better range of answers.
Jeremy Harris
10 GW
10 GW

Re: EVT controller with brushless hub motor?

Postby commanda » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Sorry for the belated response. Life and all that.

These controllers came in 2 different software versions. The slow one, which you have, won't go to full 100% pwm, in order to limit speed for some markets.

This was the controller which was fitted to the first lot of EVT scooters brought into Australia. They were all recalled & replaced by the importer. The unrestricted units will get up around 55Km/Hr on 48 volts.
The slow controller will get to that speed on 60 volts.
There was a lot of info over on another forum; V is for something or other. Don't go there anymore. Don't even know if it still exists.

Amanda
EVT-4000e. 16x TS-LFP40 and custom BMS = massive EV Grin
Chopper with 180 Watt Cyclone kit & 8x 20AHr Foxx LiFePO4 and custom BMS
commanda
100 W
100 W

Return to E-Scooter and Motorcycle General Discussion