Serengeti Panther electric scooter - use for parts

torqueon

1 kW
Found this on craigslist, for $140 It may have some worth while components

Brand new Serengeti Panther lithium electric scooter - DOES NOT RUN! No battery gqh7x-3957806534@sale.craigslist.org

I am considering buying this. Just wondering if anybody here has any thing to say about these scooters.

Thanks E S

Attachments

• 00h0h_kn1l9VtXZf5_600x450.jpg
    00h0h_kn1l9VtXZf5_600x450.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 7,301
Oh, you're driving me crazy. I would snap that up in a second. My first guess is you can remove a floor panel and pull out a battery pack that has a loose wire. That's the kind of problems I've tended to find on "Brand New" that isn't working. I don't recall that I've come across a not working just out of the box electric that wasn't simple to fix. Just a guess, but I'm thinking there'll be a plug under the seat to add batteries in that compartment and it gets long ranged.

It looks about the same size as my 350w Voy Electra, which is a bit too small and underpowered but quite plucky. This is a little more powerful, though probably not enough. If it's a bit bigger that would be nice too. I'm just guessing there's an excellent chance you'd wind up to be thrilled to get it for $140.

As for parts, if it comes with that lithium charger, that's $130+. I get from searching that they once wanted $3,600 for this 500w scooter, no surprise they failed. At $799 during liquidation it

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/serengetilithiumelectricscooterparts.html

How very interesting I ran across this Googling for information. I joined the site just so I could respond. I just bought this scooter from Liz yesterday. I came to Aurora Sunday to visit my Mom, brother and nephew. I am a scooter, electric Bike and Moped enthusiast. I looked in advance weeks before my visit on Craig's List. I was in touch with Liz through email and cell. Liz and her husband were eager to sell as they were in the process of moving. These are the 3 issues with the scooter that I am sure I will be able to repair next time I go to Denver in a few months.
#1 Biggest issue - The 2 Keys are not original, in order to get full credit on returning the scooter they the owners had to return the original Keys. The scooter would not run more than a half mike without quitting. They called the seller and they sipped them another Battery pack, same thing happened. So the seller did not want the scooter back, just the 2 battery packs and the Key, as to not make out ahead by the customer retro-fitting the scooter. Well this customer said hey, I am going to make copies of the keys so I can at least get back some money for the scooter since I went through so much hassle. Well I did not know that at the time and pulled the key out to insert it into the Odd Lock set up to get to the under seat compartment. This access door locked and I can't get it opened. Liz's husband said I messed it up and only the original Key is equipped to open that Key Lock Guard door. So I bought the scooter anyway knowing I can eventually get access by removing the side panels on the dash. Even if I have to change the On/Off goofy security switch ad change it with another I am okay with.

#2 Retro -fitting the Batteries - 15 amp lithium that had been returned to the supplier I will swap out for the largest Sealed Lead Acid batteries I can fit, looks as though I can change the configuration, but still get 4 of them in the same compartment under the seat. I will order these on line for close to $150.00. I will Hot glue them together once I get the configuration. I may even fabricate an enclosure case. I will also need the 12 gauge Computer style plug.

#3 The Charger - Cannot use a Lithium Charger with SLA or the other way either. Can purchase a 48 volt charger with delivery for $35.00. as I have dome for my other scooter.

This Scooter is in Brand New condition, quite larger and beautiful, but I was not able to test it out with the 4 -12 amp batteries and leads I brought due to the Key switch issue. I had to race back to get it unloaded and get to the plan on time back to Detroit area. So there is sits for my brother and Nephew to look at until I come back. Obviously there was a very big issue with these scooters as they dropped off the planet so quickly at such a low discounted price. I have not found an electric scooter or bike I have not been able to repair. I still have over 20. Yes I would have liked to find this one in Michigan, but I didn't. Shipping it would be costly, probably $200.00. If it all goes well I this I can get this scooter running with SLA for just over $ 200.00, Liz did say other had called and offered $125.00 when I asked her to go lower, so we agreed even though nobody ever actually went all the way out to see it. Yes I took a chance, but the worse case scenario the Controller could be defective and need to be changed. I will let you know how this works out. Let me know what you think from the group.

Shuts down after a half mile. There's an interesting dilemma. Sort of sounds as though there's a security plugin that's missing. Like a car that starts with a cheap flat copy of the key but it'll die quickly without the transponder key. This looks too cheap for that.

Another possibility is a bit of corrosion in a wire that heats it up enough to create more resistance and it says 'Not enough power. I'm shutting down.' I suppose that could also happen with an electronic component.

Pop what would be the ignition key (Would we call it the contactor key?) and find a locksmith shop. I have one near me where they make the key for $30. Not sure if that's just because the guy enjoys doing it or what. Not sure I understand why being the original or being a copy would make a difference though. Unless it's just a bad copy.

So whuttaya know? One of those popped for sale within 50 miles of me, $400 and claimed to be working. Hmmmm. Wishing I had a few people who'd actually rode them to express an opinion, but I'm thinking there's a good chance I'll like it better than my Voy. A little bigger, a little more powerful. Maybe even a bit more range.

Oh well, no time to read anything else here, just wanted to get this posted before I went out. Ta Tah.

Hopefully you will be able to offer me some insight into my ignition switch issue. What state and city are you in ?
I am Looking to pick another
one up in Ohio soon for 600 or less

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45244

So I'm reading quite a bit about battery/charging issues with those things. Right out of the box. Guess yours went through it too. The good news is you won't be using the oem equipment.

http://anlensoft.com/serengeti-panther-electric-scooter-799-fs-130184.php3

I think $140 for just the body (no batt or charger) is a pretty great price and I say jump on it. The big spending is gonna be finding your battery, unless you switched down to heavier SLA's ($30 each on Amazon, x 4); but I'd really hold out & save for lithium if u can. Get a good lock that ain't too heavy and a helmet and roll into the sunset as quiet as Batman! Watch for dumba$$ drivers always!!

Got one of these fine machines last December, and use it daily for work & such. Almost 6000 km rode in 9 months and here's my experience. Mostly positive!

The 55-V rated lithium charger it came with burned itself up within the first 2 months as it had no internal fan to cool it. I got a 48-V SLA charger with a low amp rating that I want to replace soon with a lith-charger I should be using, but seem to be hard to come by thru the websites I get parts from.

Hills:: Being rear-heavy as it is, it takes a lot of juice to take even an average incline. Not so much the battery strain as the motor strain you can hear/feel, so I never accelerate harder than past the halfway mark on the gauge until the ground goes flat again.

5-0:: It seemed to make me a cop magnet for a random period of a few months, as it looks too much like a motorcycle/moped that goes slower than most traffic & doesn't require plates. Just answer all the questions you're already used to getting as politely as you can and they'll leave you alone reminding you to be safe. Worked every time except once when I used about 30 feet of sidewalk around a proud bike cop. It is classified as a "bicycle", right? Haha, yeah, don't use a sidewalk.

I'm really happy with the ThunderHorse; not really as high maintenance as you'd think. Check the tires & brakes maybe weekly and it should treat you well. Lithium batteries like to be taken to almost empty so they can keep a long range. I'm still getting at least 30-35 km (25 mi. or so) from my original batt after 9 months of almost daily use. Its paid for itself in gas alone many times over by now.

Sleigh would like to hear if there's any security plugin or the like for it to run. I'm guessing the shutting down after a half mile is bad batteries and not going to be a problem from here on, but we'll see.

I got one also. Had it for a while, and it has only 15 miles on it. Most of it I used Human-Push-Power (HPP) to get back home. I am the guy with the endless-sphere viewtopic mention by Dauntless. Battery pack a big problem. Finally I got a great guy to build the perfect battery pack (lithium) for it at 58.8V. Now I have controller problems (quit working). Next I will have motor problems. I already know this because I have steep short hills to ride. The motor is not made for high amps. This bike is turning to be made in ChinUSA (originally from China, made-to-run in USA). The bike was originally free for me but since, I have spent a fortune trying to make it run. So far it has been a great big, colorful paper weight in my garage. This has been a huge learning process for me and I am not sure I want to give up, yet!!! Friends tell me I am "stupid". I answer to them "makes me feel like a politician" (I don't care).

SideRear copy.jpg

Forgot to mention about the "keys". There are original ignition keys (2 of them come with the bike). Only one is needed to operate. The other is a copy. It is somewhat tricky to use. It is required to open the seat. I think the issue with the original keys is the head of the keys has an octagon shaped nipple to it. And used to unlock the security feature as part of the ignition plate. It can be modified not to be used. After all, it is only a cable going from the ignition to the rear part of the seat. FYI, I have include the owner's manual and parts list. Be aware, there is a lot to be desired from these documents!!! Any other questions, let me know. Regards Milou

Attachments

• parts list 500w scooter.pdf
    339.6 KB · Views: 263
FYI, here is what your Serengeti scooter looks like naked. Another FYI, the drop fork is 6 5/8" (168 mm). Good luck with modification. Enjoy

Attachments

• 001-BeforeAfter.jpg
    001-BeforeAfter.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 6,807
  • 003-Rear.jpg
    003-Rear.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 6,807
  • 002-SuperimposedFrame&Body.jpg
    002-SuperimposedFrame&Body.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 6,807
Ok Guys, Here we Go.

Success in Colorado fixing the Panther that started this whole Thread. I did not have a chance until now to update the story. Not knowing what I was to really encounter when I went bck to Denver.
When I arrived I went to work on the ignition Key issue. I removed it, took it apart and disabled the locking mechanisim. So now the ignition is open, and works, just not locable.

I bought with me a 48V and 60V SLA Charger, tools. I had sent out by UPS 5 12V 20AH batteries, shipping $95.00, the price of 1.5 new ones that I picked up for 50 cents a pound or $7.00. I have a great scrap yard where I go almost once a week and test for good SLA batteries. 95% of the batteries I buy out of there I ge up to atleast 90% or better. A really great saving. Ask me more about batteries and reconditioning later.

The batteries got there the morning after I arrived. I configured the battery pack, leads and pulg with 4 batteries to start with HOT Glue, then packing taping. Lowered them in and connected the batteries. I turned on the ignition, lights turned on, whala, Power !. I turned the throttle slightly, nothing happened. Both Kid stands were up, so I took them down, hit the throttle again and the motor turned and wheels moved? I though, Hmm, waiting for it to short out on me, I flew around the block a few times, let my brother and nephew each go for a ride. No Problems. I then got back on it, kicked up the "Side" kick stand and the scooter wold not go. I remember seeing the original tag that was tucked in the seat reading about a safety switch on the Kick Stand, Simple enough, I wiggled the kick stand back and forth (up and down) and it worked. I eventually determined the kick stand bolt was just too tight. I loosened it up 3/4 of a turn and never had an issue with it again. I added the 5th battery overvolting the scooter to 60 volts. The scooter now flys, takes me (210 lbs) 35 MPH for about 10 milesat full speed. It had .9 miles on it, 120 for the scooter, 35 for the batteries, 95 to ship them out and 22 for the charger. for $ 275, what a deal. The batteries are reclamped and getting better with use, due to sulfation.

Although I have plenty of nice scooters here in Michigan, I really want one of my own, but I am glad I did this for my Brother and his 13 year old son.

The next day I found on CL XB 502 asking 350 that need new batteries, Picked it up for 200, had been asking as high as 650 in the summer. My bother sprun for 5 new 12V 12 AH batteries. Works great, a few things cosmetic and the pedal shaft is bent, but in beautful shape, goes 32 MPH, for over 15 miles.

I just purchased two Aeolus E-500s which are exactly like the Serengeti Panther E-500 and see you had some success with batteries and charger. Can you give me some specifics for exactly what you used for the batteries and charger. I need to replace both of these on the units and your help would give me a leg up on getting them up and running without guessing.

I have a few of the hubs around here. They are good for 75a phase if battery is limited to 25a. I ran one for years on 72v 25/75a and it was really fun to ride. Topped out around 40 and got there really fast.

PLEASE HELP!I lost my only transportation during my divorce. My friend has a scooter which "seemed" like a good idea. I found a Serengeti scooter on Craigs List. It had 8 miles on it and according to the owner, he got two scooters. One for him and one for his wife. The also got divorced so that was why he was selling it. I knew going in that I would need a battery charger for it. It was such a good deal, I took a leap of faith and bought it.

Well my leap of Faith has crashed and burned to the group. Just like the other person on this post, I ended up with a beautiful blue paperweight in my backyard. (too bad I didn't see this post BEFORE I bought the scooter.) When I bought the scooter, the man handed me a set of keys. I dragged the scooter home and sat down on the seat. Of course this immediately caused the lock to close OVER the ignition and locked the seat. I looked at the key I was given and it is just an ordinary key. (Probably goes to some car he owned 20 years ago). I finally pulled the bracket out of the seat to see if I could figure out where the cable is, that locks the ignition switch.

Inside the seat compartment sat 2 batteries. They are lose and just placed in there. Isn't there suppose to be a battery box or something that connects to the power to the batteries?
I guess if I break it down, here are my 3 problems.

#1 How do I remove the lock over the ignition? Will I have to remove the whole ignition and replace it or will I be ok if I really do have the 2nd key and just need to get past the lock?

#2 How do I built a box for my batteries so that they can be connected to the battery charger?

I really need help here. I ended up buying a $40 razor scooter to get back to work. Luckily work WAS down hill to get there put uphill to get home. Leaving work at 11:30 p.m. is not really ideal but I figured if someone messed with me they would get a scooter upside their head. I really need to get a full time job in the next town over so if anyone has any ideas or information for me I would be so grateful! Worse case scenerio, I sell it for what I put into it to someone who can get it running. I really want to at least make a last ditch attempt to get it running!

PLEASE HELP!I lost my only transportation during my divorce. My friend has a scooter which "seemed" like a good idea. I found a Serengeti scooter on Craigs List. It had 8 miles on it and according to the owner, he got two scooters. One for him and one for his wife. The also got divorced so that was why he was selling it. I knew going in that I would need a battery charger for it. It was such a good deal, I took a leap of faith and bought it.

Well my leap of Faith has crashed and burned to the group. Just like the other person on this post, I ended up with a beautiful blue paperweight in my backyard. (too bad I didn't see this post BEFORE I bought the scooter.) When I bought the scooter, the man handed me a set of keys. I dragged the scooter home and sat down on the seat. Of course this immediately caused the lock to close OVER the ignition and locked the seat. I looked at the key I was given and it is just an ordinary key. (Probably goes to some car he owned 20 years ago). I finally pulled the bracket out of the seat to see if I could figure out where the cable is, that locks the ignition switch.

Inside the seat compartment sat 2 batteries. They are lose and just placed in there. Isn't there suppose to be a battery box or something that connects to the power to the batteries?
I guess if I break it down, here are my 3 problems.

#1 How do I remove the lock over the ignition? Will I have to remove the whole ignition and replace it or will I be ok if I really do have the 2nd key and just need to get past the lock?

#2 How do I built a box for my batteries so that they can be connected to the battery charger?

I really need help here. I ended up buying a $40 razor scooter to get back to work. Luckily work WAS down hill to get there put uphill to get home. Leaving work at 11:30 p.m. is not really ideal but I figured if someone messed with me they would get a scooter upside their head. I really need to get a full time job in the next town over so if anyone has any ideas or information for me I would be so grateful! Worse case scenerio, I sell it for what I put into it to someone who can get it running. I really want to at least make a last ditch attempt to get it running!

Reviving an old thread..
I got my hands on a Panther scooter 2 weeks ago. Repaired some basic wiring issues and it seems to be up and running. It's a bit slow for me - tops out at 20mph. I'm looking to add a battery to up the voltage from 48V to 60V. Anyone have any advice on whether the motor and controller will be ok? Also the DC-DC step down converter that powers lights/turn signals etc.. would that be fine as well? I thought about upgrading the controller from 500W (Imax=30A) to 1000W (Imax=45A) but I read here that the motor may not be able to take more amps.

Any advice from those who have tried?

Back