V moto E max 120 s

Kevin1963

1 W
Hi
I'm new to the forum and have just bought a 63 plate V Moto E Max 120s with Silicon batts 48v x 60ah, my question is what sort of distance in miles can I expect from these batteries if I run on Max speed ? As Eco and normal are too slow.
Thanks kevin

Hi
I had a Ego and sold it as it required too much money to do all the upgrades and I bought a Ayrfield 48 v 20 ah with Litium batts , I've now just bought a V Moto max120 s because I needed more speed and range, my Ayrfield is for sale if you are interested it looks like a Speedfight in blue and let me tell you after having having a Ego and then the Ayrfield the Ayrfields built quality is way better than the Ego, if you want any more info check out the spec on goggle by typing in
Ayrfield electric mopeds in Sheffield and you can see what the bike looks like
Cheers kevin

Thanks for the advice, I've tried the bike at max and it will go 20 miles which is ok as my work journey is 12 miles and my longest journey 15 miles to my parents.
How long have you had your bike if you have one and what sort of km have you covered ? Also have you fitted and sort of Desulfator on the batteries to stop the battery plates glogging or haven't you bothered ?
Thanks kevin

I also have one, as does flexy and a few others on here. I am reviving my batteries currently since the previous owner left it unused and in charged so each 12v battery ran down to 3v. When I get her back on the road I will test the range. I bought it with the intention of upgrading to lithium eventually funds permitting.

Can I ask what you are using to reviving the batts not that mine are bad as it's a 63 plate but I would like to keep them in good condition for as long as I can and then like you I will do a up grade to Lithium probably a 72 v 40 ah conversion as the quality of built is very good and this bike should satisfy my future needs for distance and range when I do the lithium conversion.
I'm still currently riding my Aryfield 48 v 20 ah lithium cube batteries , this was a up grade from my alful Ego Scootor and the Aryfield was a much better built quality and this last year I covered 3000 miles on my 12 mile commute without any issues, I'm sorry to see it go and will be selling in the next couple of weeks but after riding the V moto again the built quality has took an enormous leap for the better , anyway let me know what you are using for reviving your batts so I can review it .
Thanks kevin

Got some photos of the E-Max 120s? I'm well familiar with the 110 but not the 120.

I've got a 63 plate v moto E max 120 s when my silicon batteries die I want to up grade to lithium in the future what's the best v and amps I can fit without any electrical modifications as I'm not very good with electric , so using the existing controller etc , if I stick to 48 v 60ah in Litium instead of silicon my distance and speed should increase because of the big saving in battery weigh .

Thanks for any help or advice kevin

the 120 s is as near identcal to the 110 other than it has 48 /60 ah batteries and speed is around 40 mph for 20 miles on max setting while if im correct the 110 is restricted to 30 mph ( am i correct or can you get faster 110s).
Ime just having just bought it trying to see how far it would go and see if my 20 mile distance at max setting was around the correct numbers, what bateries do you have ? as in time im looking to do a litium conversion and wonder if its worth all the hastle when I go to Lithium changing the volts to say 60 v or 72 v or so that everything works just stick with 48 v Lithium and 40 ah as i will reduce the bike weight down nearly 70 kg just swapping the batts over from silicon to Lithium, whats your view on this ?.
how long have you had your bike and are there any problems i should be keeping an eye out for ?

Thanks kevin

At the moment the batteries are under a table in my garden, they have 12v trickle chargers attached giving about 3amp in good sunlight. They are all paralleled. This is the slow long charge that will hopefully bring them safely back up to use a smart charger.

We would rip the 100 kg of lead out and put about 40 kg of CALB large format LiFePO4 cells in. These are the 60 Ah variety and they fit like a glove. You don't have to go putting anything up the back compartment either. We found we can get a range of 70 km on MAX and we don't ride these slow during test-rides. If you can get the Sevcon controller re-tuned you can wind the power up quite a bit. The 80 amp fuse will pop if you ask too much of it though.

Jonescg
My 120 is fitted with new controller that can be re programmed , can you point me towards the batteries you mention so I can take a look, you say that these would give me approx 70 km which would be great for me have you already done the conversion ?. I took the bottom plastic cover off yesterday so you can see the Silicon batteries and they are very big , you also talk regarding the 80 amp fuse ( is this the trip switch ) which I'm asuming is the bikes isolation switch , it's not visible as it is on my Ayrfield bike so could I ask you where the 80 amp switch is in case I need to check for failure.
Have you had any breakdowns on your bike ? And how long have you had it and how many km have you covered ?.

Thanks kevin

These are the cells we normally use for a cost effective conversion:
http://www.ev-power.com.au/-CALB-Lithium-LiFePO4-Cells-.html
The CA 60 is a good fit, and 16 in series gives the required voltage.

These scooters came with a Sevcon controller, which was easily reprogrammed if you know what you're doing. I don't but I know two people who do. They probably aren't in your country though.

The best documented conversion is this one - have a look at all the photos and see how it comes together. You can use any BMS on the cells.
http://www.electricautos.com.au/

Jonescg

Thanks for info that looks interesting and I've made an enquiry for future ref, have you done this conversion or are you considering this conversion when you gel batts die ?.
I've also asked v moto direct and they will do a lithium conversion 48 /52 ah with BMS and charger for 1620 US dollars and 1/1/2 hours labour or a 48 v /60 ah conversion for 860 US dollar and 1 hours labour

The 80 amp fuse is located on top of the Sevcon controller.
http://www.electricautos.com.au/ see the middle photo - that gold coloured thing is the 80 A fuse.

I've done about four of these conversions. We can buy the CALB cells cheaper, but there are more hours in putting it together. Much of a muchness really.

The blue scooter has done about 10,000 km on lithium so far, and never been a problem.

jonescg

I will be looking at converting in the near future could you give me an indication of price for this conversion?, it would need sending to the UK, is it easy to fit using the Sevcon Gen4 36 -48 volts 450amp controller or would need replacing.

thanks kevin

Well, locally the cells and BMS come to about AUD$1800. There's about 2 days work putting it all together. It's really quite easy, and shipping lithium cells all the way to the UK would be pointless when there is no doubt a supplier of GBS cells nearby. The BMS modules are cheap to order from EV-Power (or wherever) and ship.

Also, the controller should already be a Sevcon, so there will be no need to reprogram anything. Best you can hope for is 4-5 kW
out of the hub motor anyway. You can up the current a bit, but it makes for a clunkier take-off.

Jonescg

Can I up the current to 60 v ? But as you say it will result in a clunkier start with the higher volts is that correct?.
What is the upper volt limit on the sevcon ? As I increased my volts on by old bike from 48 to 60 with an extra battery even though the controller was a 48 v , but before I set off I put my lights on to use a little power to bring it below the upper volt limit on the controller
Thanks kevin

You can increase the voltage of the battery pack to 60 V max, but the controller is likely to spit it much over this. Honestly the performance gain by shedding 60 kg worth of lead is amazing on it's own. You can hold a current clamp on the main power lead and check the battery draw, but I suspect it's already fairly close to 80 amps. Peaks of 100 A are not out of the question, but not for long. If you use the large format LiFePO4 cells you will find 17 cells to be somewhat awkward to fit anyway.

Jonescg

Great thanks for the advice , I will probably leave it a couple of months (to let the wife's purse recover ) and I will start shopping and try and sell the other silicon batts to recoup a little.
Can I ask will I still be able to use my charger on the lithiums ? As it's a quality charger

Thanks Kevin

As long as the V max is never any more than 58.4 V it should be fine.

Jonescg

You mention below that as long as it isnt over 58.4 v fully charged I should be ok, so when I up grade to lithium can I have 18 cell pack at 3.25 volts per cell x by 18 cells = 18 x 3.25 =58.5v.

Thanks kevin

Hi all,
I've just become the happy owner of the brand new (manufactured in 05/2014) E-max 110S. Everything seems to be working flawlessly and I'm only a bit confused with two small things - I thought 110S come with the reverse button as standard, but it's not present on mine as far as I can see and also not quite sure how exactly the boost function works - I've found two different explanations for the boost function - 1st to boost the power output for 60sec, 2nd to switch between normal, max and eco modes. So which one it is?- there is no indication on the display of any kind that the boost is on/off/mode. Thanks for your comments guys and happy to join this forum :)

Back