Need Help on Lithium Upgrade! I'm going the same speed!

Omz

10 µW
So i have an ebike its called OTS 500 its a localy branded and chinese import ebike so i cant find much about it online and i have recently bought a 750$ 30ah 48v lihtium battery that I have already installed and i was expecting the bike to go much faster because it was originally running off 48v 14ah sla's but the bike goes the same speed as before and i really want to get more power to the hub motor which 500w btw. So I figured the controller is probably not strong enough or has littler or weak mosfets so i decided to look at the controller and figure out what it was and it looks fairly beefy but i couldnt find any info about it so I then researched on new more powerful controllers and they are a fair price for about 100-200 bucks but they dont seem to be for ebikes because they dont have plugs for headlight and turn signals and brake and alarm so i messaged the provider because they say the controllers are customizable and i got no reply so now i need help from the forum because im not sure if i need a new controller and where to get it. im so bumed out i bought this expensive battery expecting to go faster please help!

You bought a bigger gas tank, not a faster motor. You need more amps, not more amp-hours. You probably need a different controller.

itchynackers said:
You bought a bigger gas tank, not a faster motor. You need more amps, not more amp-hours. You probably need a different controller.

What he said. At least now you can probably go 3-4x farther than on the SLA's.

Probably won't see much higher speed with new controller unless the old one is speed limiting.

if it is a prebuilt scooter it may have a speed governor.

to go faster you need higher voltage, not more current. unless the controller has governor inputs from the speedometer.

Check the wires on your existing controller. There's a reasonable chance that disconnecting one of the wires, which is not able to be seen "what it does", for example not evidently part of a Hall trio, may eliminate the speed limit that that wire sets (when connected). Sometimes that wire would make the difference between EU legal vs not, for instance. I've seen that on some of my controllers.

I'd be surprised if you weren't going at least a little bit faster. You've lost weight and have more Ah, which means the internal resistance is lower and the maximum current pushed by the battery should be higher. Lithium would sag a bit less than lead acid too.

However if the battery comes with a BMS which limits output to say, 50 amps, then there's not much you can do except bypass it, or install a beefier BMS.

And finally as the others have suggested, the controller is also limiting your power so if it can be adjusted up, go for it.

I added a 15 Ah LiPo pack in parallel to my 40 Ah LiFePO4 pack on one of these E-max 'sport' ( :lol: ) scooters and it sure hummed along. Noticeably more top speed, but by jingo did it get there fast :)
Emax scooter WIN.jpg

thanks so much for the replys guys, where can i get a beefy controller thats has outlets for headlight and turn signals im desperate for this speed boost. and btw the bike has been already modified by the dealer to go faster than the legal limit so im pretty sure he has disconnected or there is no longer any speed limiter

Omz said:
thanks so much for the replys guys, where can i get a beefy controller thats has outlets for headlight and turn signals im desperate for this speed boost. and btw the bike has been already modified by the dealer to go faster than the legal limit so im pretty sure he has disconnected or there is no longer any speed limiter

Depending on your location, Mr Scooterboost has all the parts to speed up your escooter.

http://www.mrscooterboost.com/catalog/main.php?cat_id=15

I went there personally to get a charger on sale, he seems like a good guy.

Back