Acceleration problems

Dracis

1 mW
I'm having some trouble with a new build, I just finished putting together a motorcycle using an HPM5000B 48v motor, a VEC300-48v controller, a 48V-50AH LIFEPO4 battery pack and standard 48v twist throttle. It works, but i'm having problems with acceleration. It takes about 6 seconds to get up to 20mph on level ground with the throttle pinned to full. I've already adjusted the programming of the controller from the original 200rpm/s acceleration to 800rpm/s acceleration (max possible), made sure acceleration curve is set to 100% and set the 3-speed setting to start on high at 100%, I've told the controller to set phase starting apps from original 15A to 60A (though another post titled "VEC300-48 Initial Current Setting Problem" on the GoldenMotor.com forums seems to indicate the controller may not actually be changing the starting phase amp setting, if there is any info on this please tell me), I have even gone through the trouble of swapping around the Hall sensor and Phase wires to make sure I have it running the correct direction (needed to use reverse to go forward when I first put it together, now I don't need reverse to go forward)

If anyone on here can give me some controller setting recommendations or other info to improve acceleration I would be grateful, I'm not trying to drag race it but I would like for it to accelerate at least 2 times faster for safety in traffic and hopefully also get decent starting acceleration up hill since 2 of the stop lights I will be driving through on a regular basis are uphill on a highway overpass.

for anyone needing to revers BLDC motor standard rotation for this model to get regenerative breaking working
normal is U/V/W = Yellow/Green/Blue with no hall sensor swapping,
reverse is U/V/W = Yellow/Blue/Green and swap Yellow and Green hall sensor wires

Dracis said:
I'm having some trouble with a new build, I just finished putting together a motorcycle
How much does it weigh?
What's the actual power (watts) drawn from the battery during acceleration?

If it's too heavy for the power (torque) actually delivered by the motor to the ground, it could cause the problem you have.

What is the driven wheel diameter?

Is it a chain drive or a hub drive?

If it's a chain drive, what's the ratio between the motor and the wheel?

The wrong ratio (including wheel size), geared more for top speed than starting torque, can cause this problem.

a 48V-50AH LIFEPO4 battery pack
What's the max peak C rate?
What's the max continuous C rate?
If the battery isn't capable of outputting sufficient current, it could cause this problem.

What's the actual battery current drawn from the pack during acceleration?
How much does the voltage sag while at that current?

Too much voltage sag from a battery that can't handle the load could cause poor acceleration. It's one of the most common causes of this problem (other than wrong hall/phase combo, which you've eliminated).

It takes about 6 seconds to get up to 20mph on level ground with the throttle pinned to full.
That's close to or worse than my SB Cruiser trike's best, which I consider pretty poor performance for city riding in traffic. But it has only about 3kw or so of power, drawing about 60-70A of battery current at peak, between two 12FET generic controllers feeding two hubmotors in 20" wheels. And with me on it it's probably well over 400lbs (closer to 500, I'd guess).

My CrazyBike2 does it in about 4 seconds, which is almost fast enough to get out of the way of traffic at the front of a lane in the intersection when the light turns green). But it weighs a lot less, and has another kW+ of power, pulling over 80A battery current peak. (also two 12FET generics, two hubmotors, one in 20" and one in 26").

I know the battery will do 50A max continuous and 100A peak but I don't know how to check C rating, its a 16cell battery pack and the info on C rating from the battery maker is "Lifecycle of single cell: >85% capacity after 1500 cycles, > 70% capacity after 3000 cycles. (<1C discharge rate and <1C charge rate)" but not an actual number and the info i have found on determining C rating (from a different posting on this site "lifepo4 c rating" and an electrical engineering site) it seems the battery is either 1C or 2C. I have been able to confirm no discernible voltage drop between battery and controller, the wires are short and doubled up.

Weight is simpler, I'm about 300lbs and the bike weighs about 320lbs, rear wheel is 24" diameter including tire, chain direct drive rear sprocket 42t motor sprocket 12t (yes i know the ratio is 3.5) i am planning on getting a larger rear sprocket of 60t or 64t but it should be possible to get a noticeable improvement in acceleration on level ground without having to change the gear ratio.

Pushing 600lbs you're both too steeply geared and underpowered. On flattish street terrain you might be able to gear for a 50mph top speed with 5kw. Proper gearing for that puts no load speed in the 55-60mph range. Pushing just the chain and wheel off the ground looking at the Golden Motor website, that motor should turn at about 4000rpm. With your 24" OD wheel that's a no-load wheel rpm of 770-840, so you need a 4.8:1 to 5.2:1 gear reduction. If your only hills are overpasses and you've got good aerodynamics then you can probably go for the steeper end of that range.

Once you have gearing fixed, then address the power input side of the equation, but you run the risk of real heat problems if you try it at 3.5:1 . Phase current limit is not what's drawn from the battery, and your 50amp phase limit is only a 20A or less from the battery. Both your controller and battery can handle far more, as can the motor. You really need instrumentation, such as a Cycle Analyst, to know your power draw to tune things properly, but a phase current limit of 175-200A shouldn't be a problem. Nice low gearing could allow going even higher, as the lower your gearing the shorter the duration of peak current draw.

Dracis said:
I know the battery will do 50A max continuous and 100A peak
What test did you do to determine it?

but I don't know how to check C rating, its a 16cell battery pack and the info on C rating from the battery maker is "Lifecycle of single cell: >85% capacity after 1500 cycles, > 70% capacity after 3000 cycles. (<1C discharge rate and <1C charge rate)" but not an actual number and the info i have found on determining C rating (from a different posting on this site "lifepo4 c rating" and an electrical engineering site) it seems the battery is either 1C or 2C.
1C to 2C is typical of cheap LiFePO4 packs. If the manufacturer does not brag about it then it's probably only that. So that means that the max continuous current you should pull from it is 50A-100A (50Ah x 1C =50A), but even at that it might have significant voltage sag depending on the cell type and pack construction.

Even at that current it may have serious voltage sag, which lowers the amount of power (watts) you actually get out of it to apply to the system.

I have been able to confirm no discernible voltage drop between battery and controller, the wires are short and doubled up.
Is that under maximum load, during the acceleration from a stop?

But that's not really the problematic part. The voltage sag *of the battery* is the issue usually seen.

Voltage sag is how much the voltage drops from having no load on it to having a specific load on it. The important questions here are ones you did not answer:

--what is the current drawn from the battery during acceleration?

--what is the voltage drop during that time? Meaning, what is the voltage while you are stopped? And what is the voltage during acceleration?

--What is the watts drawn from the battery during acceleration?

If you don't have a wattmeter in the system to determine these, you can use a regular voltmeter and ammeter (you'll need one of each, as you need to see both readings at the same time, or have something that logs them so you can see them later).

The minimum voltage usually occurs at the maximum current, so a wattmeter is ideal for this as it logs both of those.

Weight is simpler, I'm about 300lbs and the bike weighs about 320lbs,
That's pretty heavy for the limited power you seem to have. Without any readings from you of that, or knowing what your controller battery current limiting is set to, I'd guess that the battery is only going to give you around 2-2.5kW, 3kW if it's a 1C pack, or up to twice that if its' a 2C pack. Depends on the voltage sag of the battery.

You'll need more power (or much lower gearing) to accelerate that much mass quickly even on the flats. So the battery may have to be able to supply more power with less voltage sag than this one can, to get you twice the acceleration. (assuming the controller/motor can utilize the power). You'll need to test to find out what you're actually getting now before you can determine where all the problems lie.

SB Cruiser, while pulling 600lbs of dog food in it's cargo bed and a trailer, plus it's own weight and mine,
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&start=550#p1314960
was about 3400W to accelerate me to 15MPh in more than several seconds (apparently I didn't note down the exact time, but it was at least twice as long as usual, so probably 12-15 seconds). I didn't ride at 20MPH with the load on there cuz it'd've been too long a braking distance, so I don't have the acceleration time for that with this load.

My battery isn't the limiting factor here, as I'm only pulling about a third of what it could do, it's the little controllers--they arent' designed to handle more power than this. When I get (or build, actually) better controllers, they'll handle enough more power to let me accelerate even with this kind of load on there, from 0-20MPH in <4 seconds (3 is my goal, but probably not with this load).

rear wheel is 24" diameter including tire, chain direct drive rear sprocket 42t motor sprocket 12t (yes i know the ratio is 3.5) i am planning on getting a larger rear sprocket of 60t or 64t but it should be possible to get a noticeable improvement in acceleration on level ground without having to change the gear ratio.
The larger rear sprocket will improve your startup torque, so it will help.

It looks like John in CR already did this above, but you could look at the motor's speed vs torque curves supplied by the manufacturer, and it's efficiency curve vs load, to determine optimal gearing to keep it at the optimal speed range while also giving you the torque and speed you need out of it.

Once gearing is optimal, then to get better acceleration you have to either reduce the weight or improve the power available.

A better battery will supply more current with less voltage drop. (assuming yours probably can't supply enough without too much voltage drop; won't know that till you test it).

A higher power controller will supply more power to the motor, as long as the motor itself is rated for it. (or you can cool it better than it's original design does).

Alternately, if the controller you have can be set for higher current limits, without destroying the motor (by overheating) or battery (by too high a current draw), that would improve acceleration.

Thanks for the info both of you

John
I am looking at a 60t rear sprocket right now which will give me a 5:1 ratio, but could you tell me if i can start uphill from a stop with this, the overpass in question has stop lights on the slope up on both sides and they are at a pretty steep section of the climb onto the overpass so if you think 5.5:1 or 6:1 would be needed to guarantee easy start uphill please tell me, I'm more concerned about being able to GO when I need to even up hill...So long as i can get to 45+mph at least. :D

amberwolf
The battery stats were from the battery pack maker, I though the battery might be an issue since my original intention was to get 2 of these batteries to avoid the issue of battery not supplying enough power, but the soft tale frame I have did not have enough room for 2 batteries and I figured since my prev e-bike (X-treme XB 504, weight 176lbs + my 300lbs = 476lbs) at 500w over powered to aprox 650w was able to do the job, (although poorly since it would not accelerate unaided from a stop on the hills I've mentioned) that a 2500w setup would be fine for a starter even with the extra weight so I only got 1 to start until i can figure how to add the second battery pack. As for my voltage sag test, the battery allows to charge up to 58v, after pushing the charge up to 58v for my second test ride it had exactly the same acceleration as 50v charge on my first test ride, I don't know if that's an accurate or valid test comparison but voltage sag of 20%+ would have kicked in the 40v cut off setting in the controller on the first test at 50v charge and I thought the voltage sag would have been at least partially offset by the extra voltage from overcharge to 58v, if i'm wrong please tell me. However, I am going to concentrate on gearing right now, it will be a lot easyer to figure out my battery mistakes after I can eliminate the gearing from the equation of problems.

If anyone can give me an idea how to decide on gear ratio to make sure i can accelerate from a stop uphill with the motor/controller i already have I will be happy to listen. :)

Dracis said:
The battery stats were from the battery pack maker,
I'd recommend verifying them by testing, just because some of these pack makers aren't all that competent (and some aren't honest).

but the soft tale frame I have did not have enough room for 2 batteries
You could use panniers on the sides, down low around the axle on the rear, to hold them (or just one--you get used to an unbalanced load very quickly).

and I figured since my prev e-bike (X-treme XB 504, weight 176lbs + my 300lbs = 476lbs) at 500w over powered to aprox 650w was able to do the job, (although poorly since it would not accelerate unaided from a stop on the hills I've mentioned)
Remember that power is not the complete story, torque is part of it. No easy way to measure wheel torque without a dyno (dynamometer), though you can calculate it by knowing what torque the motor produces at a specific current and RPM (manufacturer of motor should have this info), then work thru the gear ratios and wheel diameter to determine torque at the wheel itself.

If the Xtreme uses a hubmotor, then the only gearing is the wheel diameter vs the motor diameter. You may not be able to get the torque info from the vehicle maker, as they might not have that info, and probably wont' tell you who made the motor (even if the reps you speak with know, which they probably won't). So it'll be harder to compare directly, but you can calculate the torque by how fast you reach a certain speed (I don't know the math but it is possible).

As for my voltage sag test, the battery allows to charge up to 58v, after pushing the charge up to 58v for my second test ride it had exactly the same acceleration as 50v charge on my first test ride, I don't know if that's an accurate or valid test comparison but voltage sag of 20%+ would have kicked in the 40v cut off setting in the controller on the first test at 50v charge and I thought the voltage sag would have been at least partially offset by the extra voltage from overcharge to 58v, if i'm wrong please tell me.
I'm not sure I understand. It doesn't sound like you have measured voltage sag yet.

You have to measure the voltage before you start, then you have to measure the voltage while it is under load at the peak current (while you're accelerating).

If you are measuring the voltage only at a stop, with no load, it doesn't tell you anything except what the voltage is at a stop, with no load.

If you don't want to test any of this, or tell us the results of tests you've actually done (and how they were done), it's your call, but until you know how everything else is performing, you don't even know how much power you are actually getting, or if maybe your battery's BMS (the motor controller) is limiting power to prevent battery cutout or damage, etc. And we won't know where else to point you to troubleshoot.

If anyone can give me an idea how to decide on gear ratio to make sure i can accelerate from a stop uphill with the motor/controller i already have I will be happy to listen. :)
If you know the torque the motor can make with the current it's being provided, you can calculate that torque. (again, I don't know the math but there's probably online calculators to help with that; they seem to exist for almost everything--physics sites should also have the formulas).

I got a 65t sprocket from http://shop.pbisprockets.com, i'l be testing as soon as i have a chain long enough. My next step will be improving my battery though i hope the gear reduction is enough to at least make it useful in the city till i can get a better battery.

That new sprocket should put you in the range you want to be speed-wise, and it will definitely help some on acceleration. You've spent a good chunk of change on your system, but you're riding blind without a Cycle Analyst or similar. Instantaneous, peak, and average power usage are so important to understand what's going on with your system. eg You're talking about changing battery, arguably the single most important part of system performance without even knowing what you're currently asking from it. It's not like a switch where you turn the accelerator and the controller starts drawing the power limit you set controller for. To make matters worse, the program settings in the controller talk about motor current, which are pulses of alternating current sent up and back through the phase wires, not the DC current drawn from the battery, which is how the battery is rated. How much current is drawn from the battery depends on a combination of controller limits, load, throttle position, and motor rpm.

Personally, I think you're leaving performance on the table with controller settings that are too low. The motor and controller can both handle much more, and it's likely that you're not asking for the limits of which your battery is rated. Avoiding stress in the system is the secret to dependability, and heat is the indicator of stress. Unlike a gasser, nothing in our electric drive system should get hot to the touch. Batteries are the most sensitive, and if they get past somewhat warm, you're asking too much. Heat is the enemy. Our batteries carry a limited amount of energy, and the more that's turned into heat, the less that's turned into mechanical energy. Plus, resistance in the copper goes up with temperature, so the warmer it gets the more heat the system makes. Since you don't have temp sensors all over your system unlike an over-engineered automotive EV system, it's a good idea to feel all the parts of your system for heat, and the best time is after the most demanding use.

Hot wires means you're not using heavy enough gauge wire for the power you're running. Hot spots near connections means a bad connection or insufficient size connector. A hot controller or motor means they're either being pushed too hard and/or they're not getting enough cooling air flow. Hot spots on the battery means a bad connection or bad cell inside. Feeling for heat regularly will help you learn your system's limits, and what kind of riding is more stressful on the system. Hot spots indicate a problem that should be investigated as soon as possible. I'm sure people wonder what the hell I'm doing putting my hands on anything I can reach on my bikes while sitting at stoplights.

The new sprocket definitely helped with acceleration, having problems getting significantly above 22mph though that's probably in part because I don't have much room for testing right now, but at least I wont get hit from behind when accelerating from a stop light.

John in CR
I keep hearing about the cycle analyst but was reluctant to spend the money for one since I will probably not use it for anything else and this is a one time project. I will probably get one now to see about maximizing my power from the battery so I can determine how hard i can push it and if I do need a different battery I may be able to figure out what i need to look for.
I know about the heat test and nothings getting hot to the touch now, but the controller was getting hot to the touch in just a few minutes with the previous gear ratio. I will try increasing settings in the controller but not sure which I should start with or how much I should be increasing things too so its likely to be slow going until I figure it out unless I can find posts by someone else who already had the same problem and posted their solution. I would love to hear suggestions on controller settings if anyone reading this has any ideas.

I would also like if someone could tell me how to adjust the throttle dead zone, I have to turn my throttle up just about half way before it engages the motor.

I did get hold of a volt meter and connected it to the battery input of the controller to check voltage drop under load, it went from 52.8v to 52v (less than 2%) when i had the motor running with brake engaged to provide an artificial very heavy load so voltage drop dose not appear to be an issue. Still need to check AMP response to use under load, but at least I know volt drop is not an immediate issue.

Its now the rainy season where I am so testing will be sporadic at best for a while.

Back