I was given a Currie iZip 1000 series. Need help fixing.

nebulight

100 µW
I was given this scooter from a friend for free as they are moving and don't have room for it. It's got a dead battery and its been sitting for a long time. I know absolutely nothing about these things. I'd like to get it running and don't mind dumping some money into it as we have a camper van, so we could use it on trips. However if it's a dumpy scooter, please tell me so.

I pulled the battery pack out and it's 3 12V 10AH lead acid batteries. I'd like to have lithium batteries so they don't self discharge as it won't be used that often and maybe upgrade to a 48V pack as the previous owner said the old motor ran hot. Not sure if the lower amperage will help with that, but mainly would like it to go faster ;)

Any links or stuff I could read up on this model and any upgrades for this model would be super helpful. Thanks!

ZDCgur1.jpg

bLhKG4n.jpg

Q9WOxa4.jpg

tqTbNmO.jpg

JwpgFaS.jpg

First of all do you have the charger? If you do it's of no use even if you go 48v with lead acid. If you do have it the cost of going 48v probably won't bring results worth it if you don't want to spend a lot. The 1000w Currie will climb hills well enough if you're not too big. They all run "Hot," it's just that the motor is exposed where you can come in contact with it. It's not supposed to be long range transportation.

My favorite it to put a little rod across the front there for meat hooks. Meaning a place to put your feet like on a motorcycle. I'm sure you can see right where it would go. Cheap tubing from the hardware store will be fine.

Someone else will have to answer the question on lithium not discharging itself. I question the value of going to the expense, I don't think the return is there in this case.

Going to have to change the controller and charger and batteries to jump up to 48volts. For that amount of money you can just buy a better scooter.

Well if I stick with 36v, what about something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SAMSUNG-18650-36V-4-4AH-BATTERY-EBIKE-VAPE-POWERWALL-BATTERIES-20-CELLS-BMS-/201895735309

They are cheap enough that one of these batteries would be close to the lead acid capacity since lead acid are only good to around 50% discharge (so around 5 AH). However if I could squeeze 3 of those packs in parallel into the the battery box, that would significantly increase the range. I'd need a new charger for the 18650 profile and I would need to figure out a way to measure the ah (maybe a shunt) to figure out my range/capacity since lithium has such a flat discharge curve. Any suggestions?

Put two or three of those packs in parallel; always charge and discharge them together, treat them as a single battery. The BMS should correct any critical problems, so you only need to provide a 42V "smart" charger as a sort of power supply.

Chalo said:
Put two or three of those packs in parallel; always charge and discharge them together, treat them as a single battery. The BMS should correct any critical problems, so you only need to provide a 42V "smart" charger as a sort of power supply.

Thanks. I made another post about how to address the gauge cluster here: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=90944

Any suggestions since the built in gauge will probably not work until the battery is dead due to the lithium discharge curve being so flat.

Back