Since the Sur-ron dirt bike was such a success anyone have info on their motorcycle

boytitan

100 W
There are like no good value buys for electric motorcycles. Even the victory empuse TT which were going for 6-8k used have all been bought up leaving 1 sub 8K bike on cycletrader. For a bike whos company went under that pricing is horrendus. The electric motor cycle market is horrible right now. Can someone find out if Sur Ron white ghost is available for group buy or even finished with production. Competition is greatly needed for a sub 10k electric motorcycle. Its literally only zero motorcycles available then some over priced competition at above 12k. Its really looking like I am going to have get a gas bike as my first bike this summer.

I have seen 1 article about the white ghost so far 1.

https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicles/e-motorcycle-news/white-ghost-electric-motorcycle-by-sur-ron/

Sur Ron "white ghost" street bike will not be cheap..
due in part to the huge battery that will be needed to achieve highway speeds and decent range.. the battery alone will add thousands to the bikes price..

but if you are looking for something more affordable then maybe look into the Denzel eastgem electric cafe racer, around $4K :

http://www.eastgem.net/electric-cafe-race.html

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
Sur Ron "white ghost" street bike will not be cheap..
due in part to the huge battery that will be needed to achieve highway speeds and decent range.. the battery alone will add thousands to the bikes price..

but if you are looking for something more affordable then maybe look into the Denzel eastgem electric cafe racer, around $4K :

http://www.eastgem.net/electric-cafe-race.html

Its going to kick starter. The prototype looks like a regular motorcycle with their kit I doubt it comes to market. They just are not large enough. Look at the quality of their Sur-run competitors you can see the difference in production. Don't get me wrong their stuff looks great but making a street vehicle is a whole different beast. Like the rush it looks great it probably performs better then Sur-ron firefly but when u look at a firefly it just looks better.

Boytitan,

Here are a couple to look at. There are companies that ship / transport motorcycles, I do not know who they are but it would be good to shop around for pricing.

1) https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/d/2011-zero-xu/6432092307.html

2) https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/d/zero-electric-motorcycle-2010/6396553948.html

3) https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/d/2014-brammo-empulse/6428259198.html

4) https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/d/2014-zero-sr/6432640790.html

I feel yeah. I just bought a Honda rebel 300 for five grand. Cruises great at seventy, reliable, and gets great gas mileage. At this time there isn't any emotorcycle close to being able to do my commute at five grand. I've been waiting years :(

Hello

As the Australian and New Zealand Sur-ron dealer I have been advised that the White Ghost will be available as a sample/demo bike mid year.
I have requested to receive a test bike as soon as possible.
I have also been advised that the Light Bee is in the process of being EU certified for road use.
The final details surrounding the specific code of compliance is uncertain at present, but I have already been in contact with ADR engineers regarding Australian compliance.
Again this is not expected to be confirmed till mid-year.
I will be able to update this information after visiting the factory in the next few months.

Thanks
Adam Brennan
A e-bikes
Sur-Ron Australia

maydaverave said:
I feel yeah. I just bought a Honda rebel 300 for five grand. Cruises great at seventy, reliable, and gets great gas mileage. At this time there isn't any emotorcycle close to being able to do my commute at five grand. I've been waiting years :(

What's your commute? My little commuter scooter would slaughter your Rebel except maybe in absolute top speed, though it would probably take you a mile or so to catch up. It cost me less than half your target price to build.

John in CR said:
maydaverave said:

What's your commute? My little commuter scooter would slaughter your Rebel except maybe in absolute top speed, though it would probably take you a mile or so to catch up. It cost me less than half your target price to build.
about ninety miles round trip and I often have to do two trips one in the morning and one late at night. Nothing under 12 grand that I know of that could do that.

Why are electric motorcycles so expensive? Simple, because by the time you have worthwhile power, speed, and range (even by electric standards) you have a really damn expensive battery pack. As in, by itself it costs more than most manufacturers spend to produce a bike.

maydaverave said:
John in CR said:
maydaverave said:

about ninety miles round trip and I often have to do two trips one in the morning and one late at night. Nothing under 12 grand that I know of that could do that.

The real answer is changing the location one of the ends of your commute. If I can't talk you out of the live-to-commute lifestyle, then what you need is the 2wd super commuter scooter I have under construction that will cost me almost $4k before it's all said and done. In the interest of battery longevity you'll want a 150mi range capacity, so if your commute is mostly US highway speeds, your version would need more strict attention to aero than I need. In terms of performance in every category except maybe absolute top speed it will run rings around your Rebel.

I didn't buy the rebel for performance though it handles well and is fast enough to be fun. Main consideration was and is cost per mile and reliability. I'm just waiting for a dependable ev motorcycle that has 100 mile range and can charge in about 4 hours. Doesn't have to have amazing performance. I could live with 65 mph top speed. Great aerodynamics seems better to me than enormous expensive battery.

John in CR said:
maydaverave said:
John in CR said:
maydaverave said:

The real answer is changing the location one of the ends of your commute. If I can't talk you out of the live-to-commute lifestyle, then what you need is the 2wd super commuter scooter I have under construction that will cost me almost $4k before it's all said and done. In the interest of battery longevity you'll want a 150mi range capacity, so if your commute is mostly US highway speeds, your version would need more strict attention to aero than I need. In terms of performance in every category except maybe absolute top speed it will run rings around your Rebel.
When I joined this site my commute was short and I got by perfectly with a small ebike other than harassment by cops. Trust me I miss those days.

some more info coming in on Sur-ron White Ghost..
~60 miles range
~$3K retail price!!?
:shock: :twisted:
https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-news/the-white-ghost-is-the-new-benchmark-in-commuter-electric-motorcycle-ar180388.html

flat tire said:
There's a reason sur rons are cheap...they're crappy.

do you have one?? because everyone else that has them seems to love theirs.. I wouldn't really consider $3.5K "cheap" .. but where else can you get a complete emoto with aluminum frame and this size battery for less?? :?:

Cheap components all around and doesn't have very much power or range even compared to gas pit bikes. OK for limited, casual use but a pos to anyone who knows better. The suspension, wheels, and tires on your average "dirt bike" where I ride cost more than the entire purchase price of a unsure ronald.

flat tire said:
Cheap components all around and doesn't have very much power or range even compared to gas pit bikes. OK for limited, casual use but a pos to anyone who knows better. The suspension, wheels, and tires on your average "dirt bike" where I ride cost more than the entire purchase price of a unsure ronald.

comparing Sur-ron to gas bikes is apples to oranges.. but it has power comparable to a 125cc 4stroke pitbike plus more torque.. current battery technology will never have equal range to petrol.. light bee is a great value for the frame and battery size at half the price of its emoto competitors.. you can always upgrade the suspension, etc if desired.. Sur-ron is getting more people on electric and with much better off-road performance than hub motor ebikes.. if you want performance parity with a full size dirt bike then get an Alta, at three times the price and weight.. some experienced dirt bike riders are having a lot of fun with Sur-ron but without the noise of ice bikes which opens up many areas to ride where petrol bikes can not be ridden because of the noise..

I would be surprised if they've sold that many to be honest. The bike is unsuitable for an advanced user, fairly expensive for a newcomer or casual user especially compared to gas bikes and where do you ride it? It's about as streetable as an actual dirtbike. If you were a rich casual rider with access to trails on your property and a desire to ride them quietly, I could maybe see it, but why wouldn't that person just get a Alta?

flat tire said:
There's a reason sur rons are cheap...they're crappy.

Happy to agree to disagree, but I've never seen such attention to detail or good engineering and assembly craftsmanship from any China ebike or motorcyle.

Riding them feels way better than you might expect. I blast them through big rock gardens and huge stair climbs and drops and they take it all and ask for more.

flat tire said:
I would be surprised if they've sold that many to be honest. The bike is unsuitable for an advanced user, fairly expensive for a newcomer or casual user especially compared to gas bikes and where do you ride it? It's about as streetable as an actual dirtbike. If you were a rich casual rider with access to trails on your property and a desire to ride them quietly, I could maybe see it, but why wouldn't that person just get a Alta?

Sur-ron has sold over 1,200+ light bee emoto's so far ( https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89902&start=650#p1367631 ) and they have only recently come to market, began serial production, and setting up worldwide distribution.. with dealers now in USA, Australia, Sweden, Czechoslovakia, Romania, Italy, Ukraine, etc.. the same people are buying these bikes that would buy stealth, LMX, kuberg, etc.. because it's electric and very quiet compared to petrol bikes it can be ridden practically anywhere as long as you are discreet about it and respectful of the trail and other users, etc.. and the manufacturer is working on street legal certification for Europe, etc.. a reason to buy Sur-ron over Alta is that it costs one third the price, and its one third the weight (not everyone needs 50+hp for a play bike) it's basically an ebike or moped as opposed to a full size motorcycle which would not be as stealthy.. also, the 48volt version is only ~$2.5K so that is a fairly low price of entry, very affordable compared to similar ebikes.. but this is just one more choice in the ebike market, and there will be even more manufacturers jumping on the LEV bandwagon soon.. 8)

flat tire said:

I think the market targeted for this bike is not the hard core motorcycle market. Riders that will spend 10-15 K $ on a new ride. Nor do they target advanced riders with high demands for top shelf suspension or those looking for hours and hours of continuous riding at highway speed. For all of those riders there are plenty to choose from. Both gas bikes and even electric ones that will do the trick. Take a look at the Italian Energica below, a full electric motorcycle that should please most of us when it comes to ride quality,range and performance. That comes at a price, this one starts at 23 500 €. So you need to be dedicated to buy into that. For 20 000 less, you can get the Sur Ron. It is a given that the 20 000 lower price tag will bring limitations to what you can expect from the Sur Ron.

But urban riders, commuters, environmentalists, students, or any one looking for a green and economical vehicle might be very intrigued by the Sur Ron motorcycle. If they ever get legal paperwork in EU it will be registered as an A1 motorcycle, same class as 125 cc motorcyles. Meaning dirt cheap insurance, cheap license. If you mostly ride around town, use the bike as an urban transporter I can't see people go wrong with this one. Assuming quality is holding up. Most everything can be upgraded over time by carefully haunting down great deals on used parts to up the ride quality. Anything from fork, brakes, wheels, rear suspension and even battery, motor and electronics.

Most buyers I suspect will happily ride this bike stock. To really understand the needs of urban riders look to europe and asia. They got the most riders, and most people ride "transporters", bikes that will take them from a to b. They don't need Fox or Ohlins, Brembo or Akropovich. Sure many people upgrade as time goes by, most users don't and it is a huge market. If my heart and wallet could agree I would get this Esse 9 special. As that ain't happening anytime soon, the Sur Ron might very well be my first electric motorcycle with plates.

wMzEuPf.jpg

If you could legally ride the sur-ron on public roads without a speed restriction then you'd have something interesting, I agree. But you can't so what you have is a heavy motorcycle with ebike performance but with less stealth and less ability to get away with going anywhere.

Also, while I'm not sure if 1200 bikes is supposed to be "a lot" you're taking that number from a second hand dude who's guessing that the chassis numbering is linear with no monkey business which may or may not be the case. I am a skeptic.

flat tire said:
If you could legally ride the sur-ron on public roads without a speed restriction then you'd have something interesting, I agree. But you can't so what you have is a heavy motorcycle with ebike performance but with less stealth and less ability to get away with going anywhere.

Also, while I'm not sure if 1200 bikes is supposed to be "a lot" you're taking that number from a second hand dude who's guessing that the chassis numbering is linear with no monkey business which may or may not be the case. I am a skeptic.

the second hand dude is the Sur-ron distributor for Australia so may be able to confirm production numbers with the manufacturer.. having just recently come to market and now with distribution in 12+ countries seems like pretty good sales .. almost every day someone new pops in on the main Sur-ron thread having just ordered or received their light bee from luna.. i think there are well over 20+ Sur-ron owners here on the sphere, not to mention all those that don't bother to post.. if over 1K+ sold in ~4 months is not a lot then how much sales would you consider "a lot"?? weighing around 110lbs (50kg) Sur-ron is about 1/3 the weight of a typical petrol dirt bike.. in the US street legality will vary by state (fits in the moped or motor driven cycle power classification) , and in europe street legal certification is in the works (manufacturer will also need that for "white ghost").. one could also run the pedal kit and light bee is as (quasi) legal as any of the other high power ebikes on here such as stealth, etc..

You're saying the pedal version is turn-key able to be registered and driven legally on the road in states that differentiate between mopeds and scooters?

Also legit "dirt bikes" (not gimped dual sports, which have even less in common with a sur-ron since they're designed to be road legal) are not that heavy. My Honda race bike is less than twice the weight of the sur-ron but with over 5 times the power to the wheel, and it is actually engineered to perform in the most demanding offroad conditions and land jumps from a height you wouldn't believe.

You can get 6kw with HALF the weight of the sur ron using a e-mtb. And as a bonus, it flies below the radar and lets you visit fun places where you're not supposed to be easily.

flat tire said:
You're saying the pedal version is turn-key able to be registered and driven legally on the road in states that differentiate between mopeds and scooters?

Also legit "dirt bikes" (not gimped dual sports, which have even less in common with a sur-ron since they're designed to be road legal) are not that heavy. My Honda race bike is less than twice the weight of the sur-ron but with over 5 times the power to the wheel, and it is actually engineered to perform in the most demanding offroad conditions and land jumps from a height you wouldn't believe.

You can get 6kw with HALF the weight of the sur ron using a e-mtb. And as a bonus, it flies below the radar and lets you visit fun places where you're not supposed to be easily.

that's great but your honda is not electric so it's not an equal comparison, and race bikes are in the $10k price range so of course there is a price to be paid for the high performance (and frequent maintenance) and light weight.. a pedal bike chassis and drive train will not survive 6kw for long without constant maintenance and the possibility of frame flex and breaking.. you would also need to assemble that yourself because there currently are no production pedal bikes in that power range (that I'm aware of) and they won't have 30ah of battery on board for equal range as Sur-ron.. also tangent motor equipped bikes are noisy.. (but ktm and cagiva will be coming out with emoto/ ebikes similar to Sur-ron at the upcoming trade shows, probably in the $6-8k price range).. many states are giving up the pedal requirement for mopeds, motor driven cycle is the 125cc power classification.. light bee of course won't be the perfect bike for everyone and every use, but they do seem to be selling well with lots of happy new owners.. its also not outside the realm of possibility that Sur-ron could come out with a larger, more powerful version of light bee with even more range next year.. just as stealth has four models of varying power, weight, range and legal classification, so why not Sur-ron as well.. the future looks bright for LEVs and electric dirt bikes:)

Back