Kelly KEB KEB72801 Problems

thedom

1 µW
Hi Everybody!

I am new to the forum and I am currently experiencing some problems with my e scooter and maybe some of you can help me :)

I have a e Scooter with a Kelly Controller from the KEB Series.
The controller is combined with 24 LiFePo batteries in series and a 5 kW hub motor.
The motorcycle was working very well until I experienced a problem during adjustment of the controller settings.

This is what has happened:
I connected the controller to the PC (Kelly software for KEB controller) without any problems, then I changed the 'throttle start value' from 20% (initial value) to 0% to increase throttle response. I finished the setup steps and after that I disconnected the controller from the power source and connected it again (as described in the kelly software). In the moment when I connected the controller to the power source again, the motor started running slowly without twisting the gas (I assume that the throttle potentiometer is not zero when 0% is choosen in controller setup). To fix that issue I connected the controller to the PC again (while motor was running) and changed the throttle start value again to 20 %. After that I finished controller setup as befor and disconnected and connected the power source again. After doing that the controller was not controlling the motor at all, no power was transfered to the motor when twisting the throttle. So I tried to connect the controller to the PC again but the kelly software was showing an error screen that there is no KEB series controller connected and it was not possible to go to the controller setup screen any more. When powering on the controller, the red light is turned on continually.

I already contacted the Kelly support and they sent me a Flash software that is supposed to reset the controller but unfortunately it didn't work out. After that, the Kelly Support stopped responding.

My questions:
Does some of you maybe know some solution to my problem?
Do you know if Kelly is offering a repair service for a Controller this old?

I would really appreciate any help and advice so that I can get the very nice Scooter back on the street.

Dominik

thedom said:
To fix that issue I connected the controller to the PC again (while motor was running)
I am not certain, as I don't have direct experience with them, but I recall reading of failures after doing that--connecting/programming while motor is running, for whatever reason.

I don't know if there is a fix for it; you could check with other Kelly threads and see if any of the ones that had this issue got past it. I dont' have direct links, but this is a list of some of the threads about Kelly controller stuff (may not be any useful info in there).

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=kelly&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

This is a list of just threads involving programming htem
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=kelly+prog*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

and this is a list of just problem threads
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=kelly+prob*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

It's written and higlighted several times in the KEB72801 manual (and also other Kelly controllers manuals) that you SHALL NEVER attempt reprogramming it while motor is running.
I don't know if you blew up controller, motor, or PC serial/USB port, or all of them... :(

oh no..... yeah does say on software make sure motor is not running. I think if you have a sidestand cutout that eliminates any risk of throttle being not set right and motor turing over.

If the Red LED is constantly on, then probably dead sorry to say. :(

Thanks for your replies!

I checked the linked searches above but didn't really find a solution.

Does some of you maybe know a contact person from Kelly to ask whether a repair of the controller in their factory is possible?

I often read of people sending back their controllers back to Kelly for repair. Did you already try the contact form on the site:
http://kellycontroller.com/contact_us.php?osCsid=knmi0tlgt5eqj6237tkjfu8bu5

I got some replies from sales@kelly-controls.com

You could try to power on the controller connecting only the small red cable (not the big one). It worked for me, then I was able to connect via rs232 port an then re-flash the firmware...

Can anybody please upload somewhere KEB72801 firmware? Kelly Controls just told me this controller is discontinued and will be no more updated in the future, and I have no backup of my firmware (I don't even know how to upload a firmware actually, any tip?)

Just destroyed my KLS72300S controller sending a write command during motor run.

How can be possible that they do not put a software limitation to avoid to destroy the 200$ controller buy sending a simple write command ???? Probably it can be done with less than 10 line of code WTF!

amberwolf said:
More likely they just don't give a crap.

Exactly
here the Kelly answer:
"Sorry,KLS-S can not be repaired in this case.Other KLS-H/M/N models can be tried to be repaired if with the same issue.
KLS-S has the special hardware structure which is not possible to be repaired.
Moreover this controller was bought 2 years ago.It has been out of one year warranty."

Back