eZeeing an Electra Townie

maptester

10 µW
Here is my version of an e-bike build.

I started with my wife's Electra Townie 24. The bike was in fair shape mechanically, but the paint job was scratched and in need of complete re-painting. I removed all the components and was left with this:

SN850092.JPG

I took the frame and fork to a recommended local powercoater (http://www.millerpowdercoating.com/ ). They stripped the old paint off and did a great job of painting the frame:

SN850099.JPG

SN850104.JPG

I then rebuilt the bike, using a few of the original components, and upgrading a few--a new rear wheel to handle the increased weight of the battery, new BB7 disk brake for the front wheel, new Sugino XD300 cranks and chainrings, and new Shimano bottom bracket.

The electric kit is an eZee kit from ebikes.ca. (http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_ezee.php ) I ordered an upgraded battery ( replacing the stock 37v with a 48v 12Ah NiMH) and the CycleAnalyst. The folks at ebikes.ca were very helpful in answering my questions and helping me to select the right kit and components. The eZee kit install was very straightforward, with no problems encountered. All of the connectors between the various parts are different, so you can't mis-connect anything.

I added a Otivia cargo trunk (http://www.otivia.com/cargocache.html) to hold the battery and provide additional storage. Some lights from the bling department of the auto parts store were mounted on the trunk for safety, along with a MR16 3 1-watt Luxeon headlight. I mounted a main power switch (a 20 amp light switch) and switch for the lights inside the lockable trunk. Here is the finished bike:

SN850603.JPG

SN850605.JPG

SN850606.JPG

SN850609.JPG

I have since added a Pletscher Two-leg Kickstand, Avid Single Digit 7 Rear Linear Pull brake, and a 2nd MR16 LED headlight. I am using a small 2.3 Ah SLA battery to power the 12v horn, until I find a good 48v horn to power off the main battery. I am still working on a better solution to strapping the battery down inside the box--I noticed this morning that the wide Velcro strap has be cut by the aluminum plate under the battery; I think I will try a ratcheting tie-down strap. I also need to improve the catch for the Otivia trunk--the stock one is cheap and bends too easily.

It has plenty of power to pull my petite flower of a body (250 lbs and losing--thanks Weight Watchers!). It is easy to throttle the power back and coast or just use your own power. I had to assist a little on some of our steeper hills, but that is to be expected. The hub freewheels nicely, so pedaling around under your own power works just fine, if a bit slow. My wife has taken it to work a few times, and on a few other rides, and really likes the assist. I think it will really help her get back into a cycling lifestyle.

UPDATE

It has been almost 2 years since I finished the Townie for my wife. Here are a few of the changes since then:

townie_side_view_Feb_2011.jpg

* The original rear rack has been replaced twice. The original rack was not centered on the bike and did not have a strong support on the left side (it was a extra disc-compatible rack I had from Axiom). I replaced it with a standard rear rack from Axiom, but this too failed, at the ends of the supports rods near the dropouts. At this point, I decided that I needed to build a rack to handle the 22 lbs of batteries plus whatever else is carried on the rear panniers. Using square steel tubes and flat bar steel, I brazed together a rack I hope will stand up to the pounding.

Townie_rack_closeup.jpg

* I finally found a 36/48v forklift horn on-line, so I can power the horn directly from the battery pack. No problems so far.

* While I was building the new rear rack, I replace the plastic clam-shell battery case with a soft-side rear truck bag. I used the same tie-downs for the battery--a 2 in. Velcro strap attached to a wood/aluminum base that is bolted through the bag to the platform of the rack. Two additional side Velcro straps give extra support; this arrangement will hold the battery firmly in place, even if the bike falls over.

townie_ft_view_Feb_2011.jpg

*Replaced the original cloth panniers with folding wire basket/panniers. Although these worked ok, they were very noisy and a little to shallow. When I built the new rack, I added steel tubes on each side to mount traditional panniers, which is working out much better.

*The eZee electric bike kit has been a complete success. The main controller was replaced by ebikes.ca due to issues with the mosfets failing under extreme loading (which we never experienced). The Cycle Analyst gives detailed information on electrical usage and performance. The 48v 12Ah Nickel Metal Hydride battery is still going strong, although it may not have the full 12 Ah it once had, it is still strong enough for the daily commute it was designed for. Highly recommended.
CycleAnalyst_stats.jpg

In September 2011, my wife noticed the voltage dropping into the 20s (48v NiMh battery pack) while going uphill. After discussing this with Justin at ebikes.ca, decided that the old battery pack (3 years old) was nearing the end of its useful life (we got 261 cycles, 1034 Ah, and 2850 miles of it).

Looked around and found an acceptable replacement battery (LiNMC) at Chicago Electric Bicycles thru Amazon. The battery arrived within a few days. I was able to re-use the old Anderson terminals from the old battery pack, so it was easy to connect to the eZee wiring. The battery working out well, with a fast recharge and much lighter weight (old=22 lbs vs. 7.8 Lbs for the new). Losing 14 lbs on the rear rack has done wonders on how the bike handles. Also, the new pack is claimed to have better thermal properties (better heat management), so it will be interesting to see how this works out this winter and new summer.

Mapster that is a very nice bike you have. I too have a 48v pack from chicago electric bikes and am very pleased with it. I couldnt believe how light it is for being 48v 12ah.

Jason27 said:
Mapster that is a very nice bike you have. I too have a 48v pack from chicago electric bikes and am very pleased with it. I couldnt believe how light it is for being 48v 12ah.

Hey, you have all the right to be excited about your post, but it sounded like a plug....And checking two pages of your posts, >70% of them are about buying allcell or buying american battery manufactors, etc, etc. Again you might just be enthusiastic, but support for a brand has to go beyond that.

Hi there. Your build is very impressive. I was wondering what model kickstand is that? I am in search of a double kickstand that I can put on my Electra townie to stabilize the bike while loading/ unloading my little one I'm his bike seat. Thanks in advance!

9bikesn7kids said:
Hi there. Your build is very impressive. I was wondering what model kickstand is that? I am in search of a double kickstand that I can put on my Electra townie to stabilize the bike while loading/ unloading my little one I'm his bike seat. Thanks in advance!
Some kickstands used by people here: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Back